Dunlop Q3+ - Triumph675.Net Forums
Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

post #1 of 13 Old 08-21-17, 17:12 Thread Starter
Cloner

Garage
Dunlop Q3+

After my experiment with Michelin Power RS over two track days I thought I might spend a little time evaluating various manufacturers' supersport offerings. To that end, the next step is to try the Dunlop Q3+. As a reminder, I felt the Power RS were excellent tires, but they went off rather drastically after less than 150 miles of track day abuse at around 80% of normal race pace. You can read about them under Michelin Power RS on this forum.

The Q3+ started the day at a disadvantage with me. The last time I ran anything that said Dunlop on it they were DOT race rubber and they were an abject failure. They stuck well until they didn't and were virtually unrecoverable once sliding. With that in mind I really didn't expect much from these tires. Bear that in mind as you read the rest of this post.

I started the day off gingerly not really knowing what to expect. I had heard several people rave about Q3+ but had no experience with them, so I thought I should find our for myself. I ran with the Beginner group first (I'm a control rider, so I ride with all three groups during SMRI track days) and immediately noticed that the Dunlops steer a little more lightly than the Michelins I just took off the bike. I hadn't loaded the front, but I liked the way it felt at a moderate pace. The rear was unremarkable, as it just did what it was supposed to do.....which is good.

As the day progressed and confidence developed I began to wick the pace up a bit. I ended up riding about 80 miles on the Q3+s and got up around 80% of race pace, which is about as hard as I go during track days. Just to see where they developed bad habits I did wick a bit more in the Expert group. Leaving turn 5 headed toward 6 (this is the fastest part of our track, and it's also off-camber to flat, so it's one of the easiest places to slide) I intentionally got ham fisted with the throttle and stepped the rear out at the top of 3rd gear shifting to 4th. The rear stepped out markedly but the slide was easy to maintain and recover, and I left the track after that session feeling very confident in the tires. I never got the front to push one little bit, though it did chatter a little at that pace leading me to believe it was very near its slide point.

All told I rate the Q3+ a 10.5 of 10....considering I gave the Power RS a 10 before....these were just a little better. I'll run them for one more track day just to see how they behave shagged, and I'll post those results here.

For reference this was a 120/70 front at 32 psi and a 180/55 rear at 30 psi per Dunlop recommendations.

Next up, Bridgestone RS-10. They're already sitting beside the tire machine in the shop. I'm curious to see how these behave, as I've raced for a year and a half now on Bridgestone slicks (because they still pay contingency) so I want to see how the RS-10s compare.

I'll try to shoot a pic of the tires after their 80 mile test and post it here later. The front looks quite well, but the rear is showing significant wear. I expect they'll probably get about the same 150 miles the Michelins did.

"Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage."
---Robert A. Heinlein
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cloner For This Useful Post:
jucam (08-22-17), KD675 (08-21-17), mohawkeye (08-30-17), Plasmablaster (09-25-17), Shamrock (08-22-17)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-21-17, 19:33
Llamacide

I love the Q3+ on my Daytona!!!
post #3 of 13 Old 08-22-17, 23:43
mark-up

+1 on my STR. I'm a street/canyon rider only, but these are the most confidence-inspiring tires I've ridden*. I just hope they last longer than regular Q3s.

STR tire history:
Diablo Rosso Corsa (as delivered) -- almost 7k miles
Angel GT -- about 7.5k
Q3 -- about 3.5k
Q3+ --??

All I ask is a Hinckley triple
And a road to steer her by.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-25-17, 18:39 Thread Starter
Cloner
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Pics attached. One of the rear close up. One of the front close up. One of both together for comparison. As I said the rear is half used up or a little more and the front looks pretty darned good, but I didn't hammer on the front too badly as I generally do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_193708_resized.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	234209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_193716_resized.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	234217   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170824_193651_resized.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	234225  

"Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage."
---Robert A. Heinlein
post #5 of 13 Old 08-25-17, 23:12
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloner View Post
Pics attached. One of the rear close up. One of the front close up. One of both together for comparison. As I said the rear is half used up or a little more and the front looks pretty darned good, but I didn't hammer on the front too badly as I generally do.

You have a suspension problem. :)

Your leading edge on your sipe, is raised, your rebound is too slow.

https://lifeatlean.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide/
post #6 of 13 Old 08-26-17, 08:07 Thread Starter
Cloner
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
You have a suspension problem. :)

Your leading edge on your sipe, is raised, your rebound is too slow.

https://lifeatlean.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide/
Generally my tires have no sipes.....and it is where it'll finish the corner without pogoing. For what it's worth, that is generally an issue with high speed damping and I was too cheap to get a shock with independent high and low speed damping adjustability. ;)

Cheers

---Robert A. Heinlein
post #7 of 13 Old 09-25-17, 13:01
ericj1800

Thanks for the review!
I just strapped on a Q3+ rear and will be at the track this weekend. Bike already has a Q3 front that looks new. (Bought the bike a few weeks ago)
I really liked the Q2's back when they first came out, so I am hoping that these are as good or better than them.

"Everything is figureoutable."
post #8 of 13 Old 09-26-17, 01:02
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

I just spooned on some Q3+ meself. After having the Q3 on.

I can say, I didn't expect much, and really thought Dunlop couldn't get much better for a street tire. Boy was I wrong. If a novice motorcyclist were to ride on these, they would think it's dangerous, but I love them.

They have MORE feel in the front, and tip in even faster. HOWEVER, it isn't all at once, as in the Q3s wanted to go all the way over at once. The Q3+ will tip in faster, but more controllable without hitting the tire's edge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shamrock For This Useful Post:
Bamboo671 (09-27-17)
post #9 of 13 Old 11-11-17, 21:30
jsedacca

I run the q3+ on my 675r track bike and love them. I've run their slicks before and while also great, couldn't beat the q3+ deal with $75 rebate. After 2 track days (200ish track miles), they still have plenty of meat left.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-14-17, 03:09
mark-up

I now have about 4k miles on my set. Two track days, the rest mostly playing in the canyons. The shoulders are getting close to the wear bars, whereas the center has a good amount of tread left. At this rate, I think my remaining tire life will be measured in hundreds of miles, not thousands.

Maybe Santa wants to bring a new pair of shoes?

All I ask is a Hinckley triple
And a road to steer her by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement