Won't idle dies 2008 675 - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 11-25-19, 16:37
Stephen Pilsworth
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 675335 View Post
What was the fix having this issue now

Please ans thank you.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Stephen Pilsworth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 Old 11-25-19, 17:14
Plasmablaster
Senior Member
 
Plasmablaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Thessaloniki
Posts: 868
Thanks: 120
Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pilsworth View Post
I don't get what this dude means when he states "manual idle" as he obviously keeps the stepper motor active through the ECU.
Plasmablaster is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 11-25-19, 17:56
Stephen Pilsworth
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
I don't get what this dude means when he states "manual idle" as he obviously keeps the stepper motor active through the ECU.
If you read the guide you'll understand. But in simple terms that you can understand you fit the manual to stop the idle dropping and set everything else up around that.

That make sense?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Stephen Pilsworth is offline  
 
post #14 of 17 Old 11-26-19, 06:25
Plasmablaster
Senior Member
 
Plasmablaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Thessaloniki
Posts: 868
Thanks: 120
Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pilsworth View Post
If you read the guide you'll understand. But in simple terms that you can understand you fit the manual to stop the idle dropping and set everything else up around that.

That make sense?
Yes it makes sense, thank you... although I can't see how you can have both a manual idle adjuster screw and the stepper motor in place. All "manual idle" mods I've seen/read about replace the motor with the screw.

Any pointers to that guide?
Plasmablaster is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 11-26-19, 06:30
Stephen Pilsworth
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
Yes it makes sense, thank you... although I can't see how you can have both a manual idle adjuster screw and the stepper motor in place. All "manual idle" mods I've seen/read about replace the motor with the screw.

Any pointers to that guide?
The manual idle goes in place of the tiny screw and nut that comes from the factory. So you are creating a new 0 position.

The idle motor actually still idles the bike till up to temp, it just needs a stop point to stop the stalling.

Not had any issues since doing it on mine as neither gets in the way of the other, you just don't touch the manual once it's all set up

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Stephen Pilsworth is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 11-26-19, 17:01
Plasmablaster
Senior Member
 
Plasmablaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Thessaloniki
Posts: 868
Thanks: 120
Thanked 105 Times in 90 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pilsworth View Post
The manual idle goes in place of the tiny screw and nut that comes from the factory. So you are creating a new 0 position.
Ahh ok it goes into the cyl2 adjuster that "is set by the factory and don't touch it when balancing the throttle body butterflies".

Actually I was thinking of solving engine brake problems by using the stepper motor itself as a manual idle adjuster. The difference in my proposed setup is that the stepper motor will be controlled manually by the rider (through a stepper motor controller) instead of the ECU. Actually I have conducted proof-of-concept work, and managed to use a controller with buttons to control the stepper motor on a spare set of throttle bodies and stepper motor that I have.

And this idea here solves the only problem that the manual controller creates, that of inadvertently reducing the idle position so much as to stall the bike.
Plasmablaster is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 11-26-19, 17:22
Stephen Pilsworth
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
Ahh ok it goes into the cyl2 adjuster that "is set by the factory and don't touch it when balancing the throttle body butterflies".

Actually I was thinking of solving engine brake problems by using the stepper motor itself as a manual idle adjuster. The difference in my proposed setup is that the stepper motor will be controlled manually by the rider (through a stepper motor controller) instead of the ECU. Actually I have conducted proof-of-concept work, and managed to use a controller with buttons to control the stepper motor on a spare set of throttle bodies and stepper motor that I have.

And this idea here solves the only problem that the manual controller creates, that of inadvertently reducing the idle position so much as to stall the bike.
Sounds promising.

The issue I found when fitting a manual idle was the bike wouldn't adapt, thus causing the stutter in the rec range.

But yeah as I found through trial and error using the manual and idle stepper was once setup it solved every issue and the bike idles so smoothly.

Never found out what causes the low idle issue and I adjusted everything. New stepper, new TPS. And still the problem continued.

Glad it helps though.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Stephen Pilsworth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome