Shoei RF-1200 vs GT Air - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-19, 14:29 Thread Starter
Neanderthal

Garage
Shoei RF-1200 vs GT Air

Has anyone here ridden in both helmets? I currently have a RF-1200, and it's a fantastic helmet, but it's fairly loud (I do ride with NRR33 ear plugs). On the really long trips I've been taking, it's starting to bother me somewhat. Just curious how they compare noise-wise. I had a guy at RevZilla tell me I wouldn't notice any difference on my Street Triple or Fazer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-18-19, 19:16
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Has anyone here ridden in both helmets? I currently have a RF-1200, and it's a fantastic helmet, but it's fairly loud (I do ride with NRR33 ear plugs). On the really long trips I've been taking, it's starting to bother me somewhat. Just curious how they compare noise-wise. I had a guy at RevZilla tell me I wouldn't notice any difference on my Street Triple or Fazer.
I own both and I mostly agree. The GT is slightly more quiet. If you are accustomed to the 1200 you will notice the extra weight of the GT. Both are excellent but if you own the 1200 I don't think the GT is worth it. If you like the tinted screen then purchase the auto tinting shield for the 1200. If you want to purchase a medium GT in mint condition I have one I'm willing to sell.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-19, 00:45 Thread Starter
Neanderthal
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin7909 View Post
I own both and I mostly agree. The GT is slightly more quiet. If you are accustomed to the 1200 you will notice the extra weight of the GT. Both are excellent but if you own the 1200 I don't think the GT is worth it. If you like the tinted screen then purchase the auto tinting shield for the 1200. If you want to purchase a medium GT in mint condition I have one I'm willing to sell.
Yeah, I asked the same question over on the FZ1 forum and every one of them that have ridden in both (on the Fazer) said keep the RF-1200. Surprisingly, I guess due to the wind turbulence from the screen, everyone said the GT Air was louder than the 1200, lol. I do have the Transitions shield - and love it!

I have a pair of custom molded ear plugs, but can't get a helmet on over my ears with those. Now that I know what to look for in a custom mold, I think I'm going to re-explore that option.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-19, 02:05
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin7909 View Post
Yeah, I asked the same question over on the FZ1 forum and every one of them that have ridden in both (on the Fazer) said keep the RF-1200. Surprisingly, I guess due to the wind turbulence from the screen, everyone said the GT Air was louder than the 1200, lol. I do have the Transitions shield - and love it!

I have a pair of custom molded ear plugs, but can't get a helmet on over my ears with those. Now that I know what to look for in a custom mold, I think I'm going to re-explore that option.
I have only ridden supersports with the GT so perhaps the attack angle makes a difference with the turbulence/noise. I use the chin curtain on my helmets year round because without it the noise is too much for me. Not sure if you use it or not. If not, perhaps try it. I also use 3M e-a-rsoft earplugs. Most comfortable I have used. I dislike earplugs and these are the only ones I've not had discomfort with and they really lower the noise. They are NRR 33 but they are small and very soft so they pretty much go all the way into my ears. I have also tried Bose noise cancelling buds but they work too well. I cannot hear sirens when they are switched on so I stopped using them.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-19, 02:27
Phicurious86

Garage
Bit off-topic, but I was also not thrilled with the rf1200s noise-level and went looking for something quieter. What I ended up with was an AGV Corsa and it is noticeably quieter than my rf1200 (even with the vents open), but it's also a size smaller than the Shoei. I cant' wear anything smaller than a Medium Shoei, but I can squeeze my noggin into an AGV Small and with a little "smooshing" of the styrofoam on the crown it's actually quite comfortable. The inside of the AGV also has plusher and thicker paddings than the Shoei which translated to a snugger and more comfortable fit. The moral for me was that if you're really trying to minimize helmet noise it's worth shopping around to find a helmet that is very snug on your head shape without being uncomfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement