D675 or Speed RS? - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-19, 06:05 Thread Starter
Hummelvik

Question D675 or Speed RS?

Hi all!

I have 2014 Daytona 675 (non-R), I have it since 2014 and I think this is the best 600(ish) sportsbike on the market today (despite it being discontinued).

In the last 4 years I have covered about 6000 miles on it, all on the streets.
Low mileage because I also have other sportsbikes and my daily bike is 2002 CBR600F4i which I modified a bit suspension- and gearing-wise.

I have test ridden 2018 Triumph Speed Triple RS as well as Street Triple RS (765) last year.
I like Speed Triple RS much more than Street RS, and it has been on my mind since then.

What do you boys&girls think, sell Daytona and buy Speed RS, would that be a good trade?
I only plan to ride on the streets (in the Swiss Alps, actually) and speeds above 100mph will not happen often.

Cheers, crew!
S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-19, 08:38
Plasmablaster

Garage
Apart from a new bike being better than an older one for the obvious reasons (guarantee, reliability, parts availability etc), since you've ridden all of those bikes and know what they are like, the only person who can really answer your question is you.

Something tells me that what you really need is a slight breeze to help you towards an expense you are hesitating to make.

Personally in such cases I wait. If the wish comes again and again (and again) and doesn't leave me alone it means it's something I really want and it's not a passing whim. And then I go for it. So I suggest you do the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plasmablaster For This Useful Post:
Hummelvik (01-16-19)
post #3 of 10 Old 01-10-19, 08:53
Chirp

Go for it. I loved my Speed and keep thinking about the most recent generation RS. I mostly went with the Street because I'm old and don't want another heavy bike. The only caveat for me would be the limited turn radius I remember from my '08 Speed and visions of hairpin Alpine turns on the Furka.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
The Following User Says Thank You to Chirp For This Useful Post:
Hummelvik (01-16-19)

post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-19, 02:07
kcfcycle

Personally I hate the upright position, I find it really uncomfortable. Plus you catch so much wind.

I used to race bicycles, so being tucked up for hours is no problem for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to kcfcycle For This Useful Post:
Hummelvik (01-16-19)
post #5 of 10 Old 01-15-19, 12:00
windyrun

Garage
There are lots of great new bikes out that are in the class of the Speedy. My 2 cents is try them all for test rides as long as they will let you. Changing bikes is expensive due to the immediate depreciation of a new bike so you want to be sure and confident with your decision.

I also sense you are ready for something new which makes sense. Maybe sell the cbr and keep the daytona for sport bike rides.

Also, remember the saying "too many bikes so little time" or something like that :)
The Following User Says Thank You to windyrun For This Useful Post:
Hummelvik (01-16-19)
post #6 of 10 Old 01-15-19, 21:21
JonyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyrun View Post
There are lots of great new bikes out that are in the class of the Speedy. My 2 cents is try them all for test rides as long as they will let you. Changing bikes is expensive due to the immediate depreciation of a new bike so you want to be sure and confident with your decision.

I also sense you are ready for something new which makes sense. Maybe sell the cbr and keep the daytona for sport bike rides.

Also, remember the saying "too many bikes so little time" or something like that :)

He's a lot more likely to get decent coin for the Daytona than for the CBR, and this is even more relevant if the money is needed for the new bike...

I have the Street and can't really complain about the wind, and I sit comfortably for couple of hours at +/- 120 Km/h without any issues. I once rode the Speed, and straight away I was like, "Wow this one has more "body" and grunt than the Street", but realistically don't think that for average riding it will make that much of a difference anyway. Maybe think about running costs between Street and Speed (insurances, Registration, service, etc.) and see if that is very different...

Also as windyrun noted, there's plenty of fish in the sea, so take your time and get on as many bikes as you can before you go and splash your cash.

Life's so much better on a bike!

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL
The Following User Says Thank You to JonyB For This Useful Post:
Hummelvik (01-16-19)
post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-19, 06:19 Thread Starter
Hummelvik
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyrun View Post

I have tried BMW S1000R, Yamaha MT-10, Aprilia Tuono 1100, MV Agusta Brutale 1090R.

Do not like KTM.
Do not fancy Kawa Z1000.
Did not try GSX-S1000 but I had K5 GSXR1000 before and I have thr new GSXR1000R, so another Gixxer would be one too many.

In any case, of all the nakeds I really only fancy Speed Triple RS, it grabs my soul. S1000R would be second place, it is great in many respects and a great tool, and also cheaper than RS with comparable equipment (heated grips, QS/Blipper, electronic suspension). BMW is also a madder ride...but Speed RS is more my style.

It's just that Daytona is rare and very good, I love it, and it is actually easier to use in filtering through traffic as it is skinnier than Speed RS (it is 100mm wider due to handlebars).
Daytona is also 30kg lighter and razor sharp in corners (sometimes it scares me, especially when I haven't ridden it for a while and then jump on it and go onto our mountain roads), though I do not mind the butch-iness of Speed RS.
It is probably easier to live with Speed RS day-to-day, it is more comfortable, though I do not mind the committed sporty sitting position on Daytona, sportsbikes is the reason I took up motorcycles, I love sportsbikes. Wheelies, knee-down, general hooning is probably easier on Speed RS though.

Even though I do not ride Daytona much (100km in 2018, maybe) I still have separation anxiety. Very hard decision for me. I know, ridiculous first world problem, right?

Ah, also, I would not buy new, I would look for a slightly used Speed RS. There is one with 2000km. New ones, with just a sprinkle of options (heated grips, quickshifter) quickly go into very expensive territory. I can find slightly used and fully equipped (without forged wheels) S1000R for less money, but as I said, it does not tickle my fancy as much as RS.

Cannot sell CBR, noone would want it even for free, it is 2002 model with 60k miles on the clock, all scratched, it's my daily ride and I love it, it fits the bill perfectly, I am not worried about scratches or dirt (it has seen road salt and snow), it is comfortable, easy to filter on it, and fast enough for Swiss roads (I also have 15-47 gearing instead of 16-45, changed fork internals and the damper, put braided lines on it), only up in the mountains above 2000 meters it loses breath noticeably, the old girl.

I know, I had 7 bikes at one time, now paired it down to 4, all sportsbikes (well, I consider F4i a sportsbike), and that is still too many, but I keep them all for different reasons. Daytona, even though I love it, would be the one to sell and replace with RS, the other 3 I keep for now.

Last edited by Hummelvik; 01-16-19 at 06:53.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-19, 06:45 Thread Starter
Hummelvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyB View Post
He's a lot more likely to get decent coin for the Daytona than for the CBR, and this is even more relevant if the money is needed for the new bike...

I have the Street and can't really complain about the wind, and I sit comfortably for couple of hours at +/- 120 Km/h without any issues. I once rode the Speed, and straight away I was like, "Wow this one has more "body" and grunt than the Street", but realistically don't think that for average riding it will make that much of a difference anyway. Maybe think about running costs between Street and Speed (insurances, Registration, service, etc.) and see if that is very different...

Also as windyrun noted, there's plenty of fish in the sea, so take your time and get on as many bikes as you can before you go and splash your cash.
Exactly, Daytona would fetch good money I believe.
My good ole CBR600F4i is a write-off basically, but I love it.

I rode Street RS and Speed RS back-to-back. I dig the weight difference and the sharper nature of Street...but I just love the "macho" character of the Speed RS. On acceleration I felt I was fish-tailing on the Speed. I am also torque-lover, 6 foot 1, 200 pound torque-lover. Speed just fits me better. Street is amazing bike though. I am big fan of Triumph generally, they make loads of nice machinery.
The previous model Speed is no option for me, I want the reworked engine and the electronics and the nice exhaust cans I can actually look at without thinking "hm, wonder what it would cost to get the aftermarket ones".

I guess I whine a lot. I love the Speed RS but am still undecided whether it is worth giving up Daytona for it.

I was just fishing here in case someone has Daytona and Speed RS as well, or replaced one for another.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-19, 06:58 Thread Starter
Hummelvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
Go for it. I loved my Speed and keep thinking about the most recent generation RS. I mostly went with the Street because I'm old and don't want another heavy bike. The only caveat for me would be the limited turn radius I remember from my '08 Speed and visions of hairpin Alpine turns on the Furka.
I do not ride Furka on a bike anymore, too much stress. Road is too crappy and scary.
I prefer Gotthard-Nufenen-Grimsel-Sustenpass route, or just go Susten-Grimsel-Susten with an in-between stop in Meiringen for morning coffee.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-16-19, 08:40
Plasmablaster

Garage
I can tell that you are torn... been there done that with all of my pleasure machines :) I say since you have so many bikes forget about filtering and all other practical considerations - on one hand you have the CBR for chores and commuting and seeing how few miles you put into the Daytona you obviously need a bike to revitalise "biking" in you. So get rid of the Daytona, and buy the burly & brusque Speed RS you want. It obviously stirs your soul and that's what biking is all about.

Regarding the weight of the Speed: Having to fight with a heavier bike can be a pleasure in itself. I realized that with my ST-R: it's so direct, precise and outright easy that it took away some of the pleasure of being successful at riding something more demanding. I used to ride a Suzuki SV650 (still have the little bugger) and that bike is not heavy - the difference with the Daytona is that -for various reasons- it has less precise steering, especially during lean-in. So although the SV wasn't heavy - one could say it responded faster due to the 160-section rear tyre, it kind of... needed subtle corrections during and after leaning-in to go exactly on the line I wanted. It required some sort of effort, it needed my input and care to go where it had to go. With the Streety... I just think where I want to go and it goes. Precisely. Amazing feeling, makes me smile every time I push myself a little, but sometimes I miss the extra mental effort the SV required, this alone used to give me some pleasure. One might say of course that comparing an SV650 to a Speed Triple RS is daft but the discussion here is about riding something less easy than a Street Triple/Daytona and although entirely different, both the SV and Speed provide with some extra challenge so that's why I brought it up.

Of course, all motorcycles become serious challenges depending on how fast you want to go - but the speeds which the Street becomes a challenge at are higher and it's not very sensible to be going at such speeds on the public road. Riding then becomes more of a danger management thing. So that's that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement