Dunlop Sportmax Q4! - Triumph675.Net Forums
Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

post #1 of 10 Old 05-11-18, 02:49 Thread Starter
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Dunlop Sportmax Q4!

So uhm, yeah!

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.co...e/sportmax-q4/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunlop
A purpose-built track-day tire achieves lean angles up to 62 degrees! More than any other street-legal tire Dunlop has ever made.

And it also has a 180/60!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-18, 12:49
Phicurious86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
So uhm, yeah!

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.co...e/sportmax-q4/

And it also has a 180/60!
I see how it is Dunlop, get me all jazzed for the q3+ and then you release the q4s. Looks like a good track weekend set at ~$50 for the set than the q3+.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-11-18, 17:31
Bmore

Garage
my Dunlop rep stopped by this week. he said the Q4s are a different tire entirely and are not meant as a replacement for the q3s. he said the Q4s are more like a track tire - it warms up slowly compared to the Q3s.

how to mount your fairings while high (very slowly with errors)https://youtu.be/OQbHxDPLkPM

post #4 of 10 Old 05-11-18, 20:13
Zaph

I wonder if they can be flipped after one side wears.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-11-18, 21:24
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore View Post
my Dunlop rep stopped by this week. he said the Q4s are a different tire entirely and are not meant as a replacement for the q3s. he said the Q4s are more like a track tire - it warms up slowly compared to the Q3s.
Thanks for keeping me from having buyer's remorse. I do 4 or 5 track weekends but need a tire that warms up quickly for street use.

2012 Street Triple (Trinity) - Phantom Black
Trinity's Build Thread
post #6 of 10 Old 05-11-18, 23:17 Thread Starter
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore View Post
Dunlop themselves said on Facebook, that it is more track oriented, but it is completely fine on the streets, as it's the same compound as the Q3+. So I don't think they will heat up slow.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-11-18, 23:19
torana9x

How do you think these would be compared to the Alpha 14's?

2015 Daytona 675R
post #8 of 10 Old 05-12-18, 00:03 Thread Starter
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Not sure about grip, but they are more aggressive profile, than even the GPA Pros, but same compound as Q3+. Lean angle, I'd say better than A-14.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-15-18, 14:30
Pergrem

Shamrock knows my thoughts but Iíll post up here.

I put a set of Q4s with a 180/60 rear on my track bike, a 2006 CBR600RR. When I first got them I was shocked as to how soft the rear was. You could lay your hand on it and start to slowly put weight on it and the tire would collapse. They were every bit as soft as a Pirelli superbike SC2 tire. I actually need to talk to Dunlop and see if these need to be kept above 40 degrees like race tires. If so Iíll have to bring them in for the winter.

I mounted them up and took the track bike for a quick 4 mile ride a week before my track day at NCM. My initial impressions were not that great. The front felt very heavy, and they didnít turn like you expect them to. So if anyone expects Q3 like turn in, you will be very disappointed. They are more U profile than V from what I can tell.

Came track Day I ran warmers because I have a set from using Pirelli tires. Hot pressures 34f/32r is the recommend pressures with warmers. My disappointment from my 4 mile street ride was immediately erased after the first session. They felt like great in turns, very stable. Turn is was similar to Pirelliís. Braking was great as was acceleration. Wear was significantly better than Pirelli. I was more impressed with the wear than anything else.

Iíve never had a Pirelli wear this well at NCM. All Pirelli tires I used for tack never looked this clean no matter what pressures or suspension tweaking Iíve done.

I think they are an excellent track day tire for a 600ish class bike. A 1000 ...Iím not so sure. You would probably trash the tire on day one. The rear is a single compound. Street...only if you have deep pockets. I would expect it would square off really quick.

2014 Triumph Daytona 675R
The Following User Says Thank You to Pergrem For This Useful Post:
Shamrock (09-16-18)
post #10 of 10 Old 01-01-19, 03:32
kcfcycle

I know a few people that have run the Q4s on track 600s, my daytona runs slicks.

From everything I've heard the Q4s are amazing. Personally I wouldn't use them as street tires as they have no outside thread for rainy riding. If you dont ride in the rain then they'd probably be fine on the street.

But I heard the same thing from a friend that is a Dunlop dealer. The Q4 is aimed at track, Q3+ is still the best for mixed riding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement