Triumph 675 Forums banner

Cheap trailer-too good to be true?

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  tuscani451 
#1 ·
I have a guy who is selling a two bike Kendon trailer. He is selling it for very cheap b/c there is a issue with the title. The seller he bought it from never signed off on the title or had it notorized. He states the VIN on the title mathces that on the trailer and he will sign a bill of sale. Does this sounds shady? He says he has tried to contact the original owner without any luck, I am willing to work through the issues b/c the price is a great but I dont want to do anything illegal. Thoughts?

#3 ·
This. ^ And run, in case you didn't catch that. Nothing good comes of this situation.

What's the old saying? If it's too good to be true, it is. Don't be the next guy who buys an item with a ground-off VIN and left to wonder why no one can be excited for his super sweet deal.

Sent from my HTC One

#8 ·
Yep- I would verify its not stolen AND I would verify there is not a dupicate title issues somewhere (to verify that the original owner isn't holding the duplicate title that superceedes the one the seller is holding). If you are holding the one and only title, no one else is going to be able to present it as proof of ownership.

If that checks out, I would ask the seller if you can verify his ID from license or something and make sure you have a proper name and address for him (just in case anything goes wrong later)

In many states (such as mine) you do not need a title to transfer ownership of a trailer so you can still sell it yourself in the future.

I guess what I'm saying is - if he were selling that trailer in my state and just said 'I don't even have a title', no one would think twice about it as long as they had a bill of sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.