Kriega tail bag (with alloy buckles) mounting questions - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

post #11 of 40 Old 05-10-12, 11:28 Thread Starter
Neanderthal
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbfgc View Post
I see the alloy buckle thinga-ma-jiggy on their site, but you don't see the bigger picture. After further reading, does it come with 8 straps? This new system is wonky. Just upload some damn pictures lol.
Yes it is! The issue with the frame straps, is that on one end it has a built-in loop. The loop end is the part that comes out from under the seat and attaches to the alloy hook (There are 4 loose straps that have an alloy hook on one end and a buckle on the other. The alloy hook captures the loop while the buckle attaches to the bag like normal.) The issue is that you run the strap around the frame and pass it through a "locking" adjuster. It is very unclear as to how you thread the strap though this adjuster. The included instructions just suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 Old 05-10-12, 19:11
BritKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
HELP!

I just received the US-10 bag with the new alloy buckle system. The entire frame strap configuration is very discombobulating to me. The photos in the instructions suck huge balls! Also, how does the US-10 strap to the US-20? If someone could post up good, clear photos of how the new straps are supposed to look once routed around the frame that would be great! The interweaving of the frame buckle thing would be especially helpful!

The Kriega rep told me to use the alloy buckles with my older US-20 and that the two bags would work together. Laying it out last night - all I see are a bunch of ****ing straps everywhere, lol.
Hi there.

I'm the US Distributor for Kriega and your plea for help popped up on my radar (for 'radar', read 'Google alert' ;).

Sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties getting set up with your new Kriega bag. It should have come with an instruction sheet tucked in the mesh pocket. Please let me know if it did not and I'll kick someone's ass in the warehouse. Fitting instructions are available on www.kriega.us, but I am aware they are somewhat tucked away and am currently working on a few site changes to remedy that.

Hopefully, this will solve your problem: http://on.fb.me/LFGtz9

All US packs were upgraded to the new Alloy Hook Strap fixing system in March. It sounds like - and please correct me if I'm wrong - that you may have a pre-March 2012 US-20 and a post-March 2012 US-10. So, as ssbfgc posted, your best bet is to switch out the straps on the two bags and use the ones from your new US-10 to attach the US-20 to the bike (see link above). Then follow the instructions for pre-March 2012 US packs to mount the US-10 on top of the US-20. Then if you just wanted to the use the US-10 on the bike, you can just undo the quick-release clips on the US-20 and remove the Alloy Buckle straps and clip em into the US-10 and hook into the loops on the bike.

A good tip is to pack the bags to capacity (I just stuff em with towels) for the initial set-up. It tends to make things much easier to figure out.

There are a few close-up photos in this gallery here: http://on.fb.me/KiuBkn, such as these ones of a pre-March US-20 with upgrade Alloy Hook Straps on a Street Trip' R:

... and this one showing a pre-March 2012 US-10 on top of a pre-March 2012 US-20 (on my Scram'):

I hope this helps, but please do not hesitate to PM me a number if you'd like me to call and talk you through the installation, which will only take a few moments.

Thanks for choosing Kriega,

Michael

Last edited by BritKit; 05-10-12 at 19:24.
post #13 of 40 Old 05-10-12, 19:22
ssbfgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritKit View Post
Hi there.

I'm the US Distributor for Kriega and your plea for help popped up on my radar (for 'radar', read 'Google alert' ;).

Sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties getting set up with your new Kriega bag. It should have come with an instruction sheet tucked in the mesh pocket. Please let me know if it did not and I'll kick someone's ass in the warehouse.

Hopefully, this will solve your problem: http://on.fb.me/LFGtz9

All US packs were upgraded to the new Alloy Hook Strap fixing system in March. It sounds like - and please correct me if I'm wrong - that you may have a pre-March 2012 US-20 and a post-March 2012 US-10. So, as ssbfgc posted, your best bet is to switch out the straps on the two bags and use the ones from your new US-10 to attach the US-20 to the bike (see link above). Then follow the instructions for pre-March 2012 US packs to mount the US-20 on top of the US-20.

A good tip is to pack the bags to capacity (I just stuff em with towels) for the initial set-up. It tends to make things much easier to figure out.

There are a few close-up photos in this gallery here: http://on.fb.me/KiuBkn, such as these ones of a pre-March US-20 with upgrade Alloy Hook Straps on a Street Trip' R:

... and this one showing a pre-March 2012 US-10 on top of a pre-March 2012 US-20 (on my Scram'):

I hope this helps, but please do not hesitate to PM me a number if you'd like me to call and talk you through the installation, which will only take a few moments.

Thanks for choosing Kriega,

Michael

This new mounting system seems really complicated given the old method was simple and quick. Why the change?

post #14 of 40 Old 05-10-12, 19:47
BritKit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbfgc View Post

This new mounting system seems really complicated given the old method was simple and quick. Why the change?
It's actually really easy when you know how. I swear! But it can seam a little daunting when you have one pre-2012 bag and one newer one. They are completely compatible (all Kriega gear works with the rest of the range regardless of age), but I will admit we could explain it better. I'm actually working with the Kriega lads back in the UK to put together some instructional videos, which should make everything crystal clear.

The switch was made simply because it's a better system. What we found was that - while our bags could handle pretty much any thing you could throw at them - the same could not be said for all seat mechanisms. With the development of the US-30, people could put a staggering amount of luggage on their bike if they wanted (e.g. a UScombo70 with another US-20 on top = 90 liters of storage, which is a lot). During R&D, Kriega discovered that his kind of bulk, combined with rough roads or extreme acceleration, high speeds etc, created the potential for the rear seat pad to pop its lock on certain bikes (probably not the 675 though, on account of that annoyingly hard to reach, but strong bolt, which holds the seat on).

So to ensure that this didn't happen, a new mounting system has to be designed for the bigger bags, which involved attachment to the subframe (or any appropriately placed, solid mounting point). Hence the Alloy Hook Strap system.

After seeing this in use for over a year on the US-30 and hearing the extremely positive feedback (more secure; easier to remove the bags; leaves no evidence of luggage when the bags are lifted off the bike - i.e. no loose strapping to tidy up or having to remove the seat to get the compression straps fully off the bike; works well on racks etc.) from riders who had this bag and those who had upgraded the straps on their older US-10 or 20, they decided the benefits were too many not to upgrade the entire range.

I'll admit I was a little dubious at first because it put the price of the packs up. But the two chaps who own the company and design all the gear, were positive it was well worth it. They're pretty smart fellas and serious riders, so, I agreed. And as it turns out, we're selling more than ever and getting great feedback. Although it can seem confusing to start with, once you've nailed it the first time, it all makes sense.

I may be biased, but it's for all the reasons: I've been using Kriega tail packs (UScombo40 and US-10 on the tank for long hauls) and backpacks (R25) on sport bikes for over seven years now, but only got involved with the company professionally mid-way through last year. And I still use the same gear I bought back then... (with the upgraded straps on the US packs, of course!).

I'm actually taking a 675R on a 1,200-mile road trip to Pikes Peak in July , so I'll load that sucker up good and proper and take a bunch detailed photos of the installation and various options for y'all.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers!

Last edited by BritKit; 05-10-12 at 19:55.
post #15 of 40 Old 05-10-12, 20:31
tnr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritKit View Post
It's actually really easy when you know how. I swear! But it can seam a little daunting when you have one pre-2012 bag and one newer one. They are completely compatible (all Kriega gear works with the rest of the range regardless of age), but I will admit we could explain it better. I'm actually working with the Kriega lads back in the UK to put together some instructional videos, which should make everything crystal clear.

The switch was made simply because it's a better system. What we found was that - while our bags could handle pretty much any thing you could throw at them - the same could not be said for all seat mechanisms. With the development of the US-30, people could put a staggering amount of luggage on their bike if they wanted (e.g. a UScombo70 with another US-20 on top = 90 liters of storage, which is a lot). During R&D, Kriega discovered that his kind of bulk, combined with rough roads or extreme acceleration, high speeds etc, created the potential for the rear seat pad to pop its lock on certain bikes (probably not the 675 though, on account of that annoyingly hard to reach, but strong bolt, which holds the seat on).

So to ensure that this didn't happen, a new mounting system has to be designed for the bigger bags, which involved attachment to the subframe (or any appropriately placed, solid mounting point). Hence the Alloy Hook Strap system.

After seeing this in use for over a year on the US-30 and hearing the extremely positive feedback (more secure; easier to remove the bags; leaves no evidence of luggage when the bags are lifted off the bike - i.e. no loose strapping to tidy up or having to remove the seat to get the compression straps fully off the bike; works well on racks etc.) from riders who had this bag and those who had upgraded the straps on their older US-10 or 20, they decided the benefits were too many not to upgrade the entire range.

I'll admit I was a little dubious at first because it put the price of the packs up. But the two chaps who own the company and design all the gear, were positive it was well worth it. They're pretty smart fellas and serious riders, so, I agreed. And as it turns out, we're selling more than ever and getting great feedback. Although it can seem confusing to start with, once you've nailed it the first time, it all makes sense.

I may be biased, but it's for all the reasons: I've been using Kriega tail packs (UScombo40 and US-10 on the tank for long hauls) and backpacks (R25) on sport bikes for over seven years now, but only got involved with the company professionally mid-way through last year. And I still use the same gear I bought back then... (with the upgraded straps on the US packs, of course!).

I'm actually taking a 675R on a 1,200-mile road trip to Pikes Peak in July , so I'll load that sucker up good and proper and take a bunch detailed photos of the installation and various options for y'all.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers!
This is awesome because (1) you freaking found a cry for help on google, and (2) gave such a helpful, thorough response. Makes me proud to be a Kriega owner!

Anyway: This does sound great. I use a US30 combo for long trips, and the US10 almost every day. I like the sound of not having the straps latched across the top of my seat (and having to carry around the connectors). Can I buy just the straps and use them on my pre-March set up?

Thanks!

tnr

Bonus pic: all packed up for 1300 miles of twisty fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040419_2.jpg
Views:	5501
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	30347   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040420.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	30348  

Let's just say I like to change bikes...
post #16 of 40 Old 05-10-12, 20:44
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Another reason to love Kriega. Awesome customer service.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #17 of 40 Old 05-10-12, 20:49
ssbfgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
Another reason to love Kriega. Awesome customer service.
Agreed. Impressive response. Love my kriega stuff.
post #18 of 40 Old 05-10-12, 20:57
noclue90

Don't have this but after such service I know where I'll go when the need comes. V

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

2009 Triumph Street Triple- White Lightning
2007 Triumph Daytona- Golden Thunder
post #19 of 40 Old 05-11-12, 01:19 Thread Starter
Neanderthal
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Hi Michael - I'm the guy you've been communicating with the last couple of days via email.

First - super thanks for the response with photos! You'll find there are a ton of Kriega-philes on the Triumph forums. I was going to email you again tomorrow about a couple of things but I think you covered them here.

Looking at the first two photos (I have a Street Triple), I have it all set up like your photo, except I don't have the adjusting buckle (on the frame strap) positioned to lay across the frame rail. I didn't think the seat would latch down properly. So with that buckle out about 1/2", it was digging into the seat, and the front alloy buckles were falling right under the front horizontal buckles on the bag. I removed it all and decided to just go with the original US-20 staps.
I was able to run the original straps under the frame rails without any issue (noticed right away by ssbfgc recently). Seeing your photo, I'll go ahead and give the new straps another try, although my first impression is that the original strap is a simpler, more elegant system providing you run the straps under the frame rail.

A
post #20 of 40 Old 05-11-12, 01:33
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Yeah if we could do a sweet group buy or something with a nice price I would be up for a US10, since my US20 gets packed to its limit haha

I am in love with my US20 it has worked amazingly for me so far and the quality is past top notch.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement