Clutch Pack Replace 2013+ 675R - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 5 Old 04-17-18, 23:33 Thread Starter
Phicurious86

Garage
Clutch Pack Replace 2013+ 675R

I thought I'd have an easy go of it today replacing the clutch pack on 2014 675r with a kit from Barnett. Removing the old plates, which were definitely glazing, and putting the new plates in was straightforward, but once I got the cover back on I noticed that the lever on the cover wouldn't catch until the arm had moved very far towards the front of the bike. I don't think I have enough adjustability in the clutch cable to get it to close to the catch point.

I'm going to go back tomorrow and measure the stock pack height and measure how far the the arm moves before it catches. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-18-18, 02:34
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
It is definitely engaging the clutch? It's possible it's missing the rod. Did you measure total pack height with the new plates?
post #3 of 5 Old 04-18-18, 16:13 Thread Starter
Phicurious86
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
It is definitely engaging the clutch? It's possible it's missing the rod. Did you measure total pack height with the new plates?
Clutch pack heights were 42.64mm for oem pack and 43.41mm for the bar nett pack. That's a shade on the tall side, but I don't think that's the major issue for what I'm experiencing.

I put the oem clutch pack back in and it still looks like the cover lever doesn't catch until it's too far forward for my clutch cable to be of much use.

So here are some things I'm thinking.

1) I put the steel plates in facing the wrong direction. There's a flat side and a beveled side. I have all plates with the flat facing toward me/away from the bike.

2) The special b" steel plate looks like it's slightly concave on the bevel side, but quite flat on the flat side. Not sure if I should replace since the manual makes no mention of the b plate having a uniform curvature.

3) Maybe I rotated the the lever rod inside the case cover? There's a spring that should make this impossible, but I don't know.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 Old 04-18-18, 18:02
mszilves

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phicurious86 View Post

3) Maybe I rotated the the lever rod inside the case cover? There's a spring that should make this impossible, but I don't know.
I would lean towards this one. I had my cover/clutch out back when I replaced the shift selector on my '13, and had a heck of a time realigning this arm.

It's hard to describe without pics, but essentially the little spring on it is there to help keep it fully disengaged. The lever arm at the cover should rest at close to 90deg angle with respect to the cable, so essentially perpendicular to the clutch cover. You might need to rotate the arm around a couple times to see how it engages the shaft, but it's tricky to get it on there with the small clearance between the frame/clutch cover in the back.

The little spring can be removed and rotated with the arm already in place, so get the arm lined up first, then you can hook the spring to the arm.

"It was the kind of situation that regularly sees many of the people who masquerade as motorcyclists and ride every third Sunday up their favourite local road (if it's sunny) to sit at a cafe and make broom broom noises with other pretend-motorcyclist-idiots, crash their brains out."
__
AFM #11R, WMRRA #11
http://www.hookit.com/members/markszilveszter/
2013 Daytona 675R - race bike
2013 Street Triple R - "other" bike
The Following User Says Thank You to mszilves For This Useful Post:
Phicurious86 (04-18-18)
post #5 of 5 Old 04-22-18, 02:20 Thread Starter
Phicurious86
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Well I got it sorted. Hanshaw sent me a spare "b" plate that he had, and it looked very flat on both sides. I slotted that in and the catch point was right where it needed to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement