Strange Vibration / Loose Bolt in the Stator - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 8 Old 05-02-19, 20:21 Thread Starter
whirlybird

Strange Vibration / Loose Bolt in the Stator

I posted a short version of this on the Facebook group and didn't get much response, hoping someone here can help.

Teaching a school on the track a few weeks ago going at a moderate pace, I started to feel a bad vibration, finished the lap at a slow pace and pulled off. Checked tire balance, wheels, rotors, cush, wheel bearings, etc. and all checked out. Went back out and immediately felt it again. I finally had some time to look further into it this week. I removed the clutch and everything looks very good. I removed the stator cover and found the bolt pictured below sitting in the bottom of the cover under the stator coil. It is not from the cover, the bolts that hold the coil, cps, and wiring are all still in place in the cover and I can see no holes where this might go.

Figuring it may have come from somewhere else in the engine I removed the valve cover and oil pan to inspect. Again, I found nothing from the things that I can see.

The engine starts fine and runs fine and doesn't make any strange noises. I can't really feel the vibration until I'm really moving. The loose bolt that was floating around looks like it got very hot at some point (rolling in stator, likely) and the threads are kind of flattened.

Do you know what else might cause a vibration, and do you recognize this bolt and maybe where it came from? I have considered that the two may be completely unrelated but that doesn't really get me anywhere else at the moment. Nothing else in the bike seems off at all. It shifts fine, clutch function, it revs like normal, brakes like normal, etc.

Of course I am supposed to race this thing next weekend, which is looking unlikely. I am very hesitant to just put it back together without finding the source of this bolt.

MRA #144

2017 MRA Thunderbike Class Champion

Sponsors:
XL3 Rigging, Rider's Discount, Imperial Sportbikes, Un!nk Printworks

2015 Triumph D675
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-03-19, 17:02
MadMel

Inside the stator cover, the three bolts like that are the 2 on the CPS and the one that holds the stator wiring bracket on. Sounds like those are in place, but I thought I'd list them just in case.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-03-19, 18:08 Thread Starter
whirlybird
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Unfortunately it is not any of those

MRA #144

Sponsors:

2015 Triumph D675

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-19, 18:32
MGFChapin

Garage
Losing a bolt from anything behind the stator cover, except the rotor, wouldn't cause much of a vibration. Everything in there but the rotor is static, so you might hear the bolt bouncing around, but probably not feel anything out of the ordinary. I don't recognize the bolt, but I'd be willing to bet it's from something that reciprocates inside of your reciprocating engine. Something is out of balance in there and I wouldn't run it anymore til you find out what it is.

Start with the easy stuff - take off the clutch cover and inspect the basket. When you took off the stator cover, how deep did you get? Did you remove the starter gear and sprag clutch? If that doesn't reveal anything telling, I would seriously consider checking out the bottom end, unfortunately.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-04-19, 00:08 Thread Starter
whirlybird

I put a new engine in it tonight. Not sure when I'll get around to getting the old one apart to check it out. Not sure it matters at this point. A replacement engine costs as much as a rebuild so I'm not sure I'll even do anything with the old one. I would like to at least get it apart to see what was causing the vibration and where the heck that bolt came from.

MRA #144

Sponsors:

2015 Triumph D675
post #6 of 8 Old 05-04-19, 10:57
AYoDread

There is one bolt at 11 o'clock from the stator gear marked with blue. Is yours still there?

Sorry this is are screenshots of a video I made when I replaced my stator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190504-095418_Video Player_1556981708900.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	249455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190504-095254_Video Player_1556981722826.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	249457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190504-095230_Video Player_1556981731687.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	249459  

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-19, 08:06 Thread Starter
whirlybird

I don't recall. I'll have to pull he cover again and check. What does it hold?

MRA #144

Sponsors:

2015 Triumph D675
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-19, 09:22
AYoDread

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybird View Post
I don't recall. I'll have to pull he cover again and check. What does it hold?
Sorry I dont remember, that was taken back in August 2018

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement