2011 Daytona dies all of a sudden - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 19:18 Thread Starter

2011 Daytona dies all of a sudden

So iv'e searched for a while now and haven't found anything that helps.
Iv'e had this bike for about a year now and never had any problems with it except original battery died and I replaced that. The bike was a one owner and had an exhaust and tune done at dealer by previous owner. I was out on a ride and on the way back home I got about a block from house and bike just died so i coasted it onto side of street and attempted to start it back up but it would just crank and not start. I let it sit for about 20-30 mins and tried again and it started up, so I rode it home. Put the bike on a stand and checked all fluids and connections and everything seemed ok. Started bike a couple times with no problems, so I took it down the road and all seemed well until I got about 3 miles away. Bike dies again but starts back up right away, made a turn to start to go back home and it dies again this time it didn't start right back up. Tried starting it a couple times with nothing so I tried to push start it and it did nothing (got it to about 10mph and dumped clutch), so I sat for another 20-30 mins and it started back up. Rode it for about 1/2-3/4 mile and it dies again. Try starting it and it just cranks again and doesn't start. After waiting another 20-30 mins it starts back up. Went a little further and it started to try to die again but i gave it a decent amount of gas, when I did this it bogged down a little and it took off. Made it home and started checking battery, CPS, and stator and all seemed to be good
Battery voltage off: 13.4
Battery voltage on position: 13.2
CPS resistance: 243ohms
Stator resistance: 0ohms across all three terminals
Stator AC voltage at idle: 30vac across all three terminals
I didn't bring bike up to 5k revs but did a quick blip of throttle and got 50vac so everything seems ok
Every time the bike has died it seems to be when i'm slowing down for a stop.

Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 19:39
Far Canal

It sounds like a possible fuel issue. Can you hear the fuel pump prime?
The Following User Says Thank You to Far Canal For This Useful Post:
2011675 (04-17-19)
post #3 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 19:45 Thread Starter
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Yes I can hear the pump prime when I turn the key on.

Last edited by 2011675; 04-17-19 at 20:04.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 20:04
MadMel

When I read your post, the first thought for me was "CPS". The CPS can have good resistance but still be effed - I just replaced one that had similar resistance to yours.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 20:06
MadMel

Also, you can silicone a new CPS into the stator/CPS rubber grommet. Far Canal recently posted a link to a CPS that he's had good luck with that was about ten bucks US.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadMel For This Useful Post:
2011675 (04-17-19)
post #6 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 20:16 Thread Starter

Thank you, I will look into that. I'm just scratching my head right now on whats wrong.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 20:20 Thread Starter

Would the CPS just cause it to die like that though? I know it will keep it from starting.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 20:52
MadMel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011675 View Post
Would the CPS just cause it to die like that though? I know it will keep it from starting.
Yep. The CPS is what tells the system when to fire the spark plugs. No spark = no fire = no fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadMel For This Useful Post:
2011675 (04-17-19)
post #9 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 21:04
AYoDread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011675 View Post
So iv'e searched for a while now and haven't found anything that helps.
Iv'e had this bike for about a year now and never had any problems with it except original battery died and I replaced that. The bike was a one owner and had an exhaust and tune done at dealer by previous owner. I was out on a ride and on the way back home I got about a block from house and bike just died so i coasted it onto side of street and attempted to start it back up but it would just crank and not start. I let it sit for about 20-30 mins and tried again and it started up, so I rode it home. Put the bike on a stand and checked all fluids and connections and everything seemed ok. Started bike a couple times with no problems, so I took it down the road and all seemed well until I got about 3 miles away. Bike dies again but starts back up right away, made a turn to start to go back home and it dies again this time it didn't start right back up. Tried starting it a couple times with nothing so I tried to push start it and it did nothing (got it to about 10mph and dumped clutch), so I sat for another 20-30 mins and it started back up. Rode it for about 1/2-3/4 mile and it dies again. Try starting it and it just cranks again and doesn't start. After waiting another 20-30 mins it starts back up. Went a little further and it started to try to die again but i gave it a decent amount of gas, when I did this it bogged down a little and it took off. Made it home and started checking battery, CPS, and stator and all seemed to be good
Battery voltage off: 13.4
Battery voltage on position: 13.2
CPS resistance: 243ohms
Stator resistance: 0ohms across all three terminals
Stator AC voltage at idle: 30vac across all three terminals
I didn't bring bike up to 5k revs but did a quick blip of throttle and got 50vac so everything seems ok
Every time the bike has died it seems to be when i'm slowing down for a stop.

Please help!!!
did you mean .243ohms?

My new CPS ohms out at .235ohms my old one that went bad was at 1.0XXohms. I agree sounds Like CPS as well
Did you check your connections at the R/R?
what is your voltage at the battery while its running?

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
post #10 of 18 Old 04-17-19, 21:31 Thread Starter

The shitty meter that I used just said 243ohms. Everywhere iv'e looked says you should be around 200 ohms. While tank was up i checked all connections I could get to and all seemed to be good. I will check voltage while running tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement