Engine cuts off - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 8 Old 10-27-17, 11:38 Thread Starter
iadminko

Garage
Engine cuts off

Greetings all,

I have a weird glitch with my 2014 Street Triple R - when the engine is cold and I just started it and speed up a little, then drop the throttle with squeezed clutch, it cuts off.
Here is the example: https://youtu.be/c63qauHSja0

It didn't happen before. Firstly, I was blaming little angle on the road, but it happens at the flat surface as well. After 300 feet the engine behaves normally and you can't replicate the issue until it gets cold again.

Since i have a very little experience in fixing motorcycle, wanted to ask you what could be an issue and what do I need to check?

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-27-17, 12:08
TN12 StripleR

Reminds me of a problem I had in an old car that I installed a flywheel on, where since the flywheel was like 7lbs if I let the RPMS fall too quickly it would just keep going and shut off.

Now obviously yours isnít mechanical like this, but it leaves me thinking your bike might not be holding the idle very well when cold. I would think this would be a fueling issue, but if your bike is stock that canít be it. I would start by checking to make sure all of your fueling related sensors are working properly.

Honestly if you arenít super mechanically savvy, I would take this video to a dealer or other shop of your choice to let them diagnose the problem.

Or just let your bike warm up before you ride it.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-27-17, 12:54
Rookie28

Garage
Let your bike warm up to 3 bars before taking off.

Bike needs to be warm enough for the engine oil to properly lubricate all moving engine parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 Old 10-28-17, 01:59
Renboy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie28 View Post

Bike needs to be warm enough for the engine oil to properly lubricate all moving engine parts.

Mine gets ridden into -10*C and I don't let it warm up, it also never dies on me. Either a sensor isn't reading properly, or throttle bodies/idle control need to be adjusted.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-29-17, 00:43
OzMoto

Quote:

Modern engines don't need you to sit and let it warm up. Simply start it and ride, just don't wring the crap out of the throttle until it's up to temp.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R | SC-Project CF Oval Silencers | Triumph Quickshifter | 520 Conversion (-1 front)
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR
Sold: 2012 CBR250R | 2000 NSR150SP
post #6 of 8 Old 10-29-17, 01:02
Rookie28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMoto View Post
Modern engines don't need you to sit and let it warm up. Simply start it and ride, just don't wring the crap out of the throttle until it's up to temp.

Just going to leave this here.
https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/07/2...ll-like-it-hot

post #7 of 8 Old 10-29-17, 01:19
TN12 StripleR

Quote:
Just going to leave this here.
https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/07/2...ll-like-it-hot

This article just shows that you should ride bike HARD while cold. This is obvious, oil pressure is crazy high when oils are cold and thick, but at the same time, Riding your bike gently right after starting it is going to warm it up faster than letting it sit and idle.

Regardless, this isnít a thread about should you warm up your bike or not. We should all agree that we CAN. I CAN take my bike out and ride it hard right off, it doesnít die. The OP is looking for advice on what is wrong with his bike, and there is definitely something wrong.

To quote the end of your article you posted, ďSo, just as you can ride your new bike hard and cold, so can you fail to notice little hints, headaches or something.Ē His bike dying is one of those hints, and he shouldnít ignore it, and he may have never seen it if he wasnít riding his bike before warming it up.

OP did you take your bike to a shop, or has the issue stopped? If you can reproduce it then you definitely have a fueling problem.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-29-17, 08:38
Chirp

What's happening isn't normal. I'd bet it's the air temp sensor or something similar not functioning or unplugged -- did you do anything that involved disconnecting multi-connectors? In any case, check all of the connectors to start.

As to warming up the engine: I agree that you should warm up an engine fully before running it hard. You need to warm up not just the coolant and oil but the metal parts -- bearings and thrust surfaces. That's what I do at the track before my first session. That said, riding your street bike gently until it warms up isn't going to harm it. Down to about 60 F I warm a multi for less than a minute before -- gently -- riding away. The colder it gets, the more I warm the bike. If I were to ride in 40 F weather, I'd warm it up until I saw one bar before riding away. I treat my Duke differently but then a 700cc piston batters it's big and small end bearings in ways a triple with 225cc pistons does not.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '18 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement