Chain adjustment - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 7 Old 05-12-16, 10:08 Thread Starter
FriskyPotPie

Chain adjustment

I just went to a shop to get my chain adjusted because it was beyond specs of 1.25 to 1.38 in. I think it got over tightened, bc now it is less than 1 in. Is it ok to ride with it that tight? The guy also lubed the chain, and managed to get the lube on my tire, and rear brake disc as well!! Not sure if I want to go back and whine, don't want them to touch her again...

2012 Diablo Red Daytona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-12-16, 11:46
Rookie28

Garage
I can't speak about the chain lube on tires and brakes, but I do know that with the chain being tightened beyond spec you'll be looking at increased friction and faster wear on your chain and sprockets. If the chain is tight enough it may even snap and potentially cause pretty severe damage to you and your moto.

Invest in swingarm spools, a rear-stand, and a torque wrench, then adjust at home. It's one of the most basic motorcycle maintenance tasks, it's simple, and it saves you the trouble of having to pay someone else.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-12-16, 12:43 Thread Starter
FriskyPotPie
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie28 View Post
I can't speak about the chain lube on tires and brakes, but I do know that with the chain being tightened beyond spec you'll be looking at increased friction and faster wear on your chain and sprockets. If the chain is tight enough it may even snap and potentially cause pretty severe damage to you and your moto.

Invest in swingarm spools, a rear-stand, and a torque wrench, then adjust at home. It's one of the most basic motorcycle maintenance tasks, it's simple, and it saves you the trouble of having to pay someone else.

I have the spools installed, just need to get a new stand. I have always been hesitant, fearing the rear wheel will be out of alignment. Tried once with my old Superhawk, and it rode weird. I have to give it another try I guess.

Anyone know if the pads can be salvaged even if they had some grease on them?

2012 Diablo Red Daytona

post #4 of 7 Old 05-12-16, 12:49
MGFChapin

Garage
Chain lube isn't motor oil. Should be fairly easy to clean if you douse the disc and pads in brake cleaner. Get it off the tire with soap and water.

If the wheel is aligned now, it's impossible to get it out of alignment as long as you turn the chain adjusters the same amount on both sides. I count the number of bolt heads and usually go 2 at a time.

The bike is fine to ride now but get the chain adjusted ASAP. You want that extra half inch of slack for the swingarm to move up and down. As long as you don't give it full throttle or hit any big bumps, you won't do any damage riding it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MGFChapin For This Useful Post:
FriskyPotPie (05-12-16)
post #5 of 7 Old 05-12-16, 20:02
2PumpChump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie28 View Post

Is that what swingarm spools are for? I got some on my Daytona but only because they came in a package with other protective things (front/back axle sliders; frame sliders; clutch case cover; etc.) so I thought it was an extra bit of protection.

That's good to know! The rear stand I used to have fit my Ninja 300 when I had it, but that was an easy bike to put on a stand because the swing arm on it is straight horizontal - a different story for the Daytona, which means my stand doesn't fit it

Luckily, my brother-in-law also drives a 300 so I gave it to him, so it wasn't a total waste.

But going back to OP's topic - I completely agree. It's not even hard to do, just takes a bit of time and patience. I did that on my first bike with 0 mechanical experience. Just watch some videos and make sure you follow those steps to keep the wheel centered (i.e., take small turns to adjust them, don't rush, because you don't want to end up with a crooked wheel).
post #6 of 7 Old 05-12-16, 22:32
aritweets

--bump--
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-16, 13:05 Thread Starter
FriskyPotPie
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I'm going to order one this afternoon, and go back to the shop to ask him to slacken it a bit so I can ride without worrying about it. What a shit job he did, I'll post pictures of all the grease over my bb, unbelievable that someone gives this little of a f**k... FYI, its Brevard Superbike in Melbourne FL.

2012 Diablo Red Daytona
The Following User Says Thank You to FriskyPotPie For This Useful Post:
JP16 (05-13-16)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement