Lowering the Daytona - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 20 Old 12-08-14, 14:02 Thread Starter
mugen578

Lowering the Daytona

Hello everybody,

I am new to the forum, been lurking around for a while but decided to register and finally add my first post. I just bought a Daytona 675R recently awesome machine but unfortunately i have a short inseam which makes me tip toe all the time and it is uncomfortable. I talked to the mechanic at the dealer he said it is possible to lower the Daytona but hes not sure how this will change the bike and i am not too sure about the whole thing and would like to take your opinions about it. what will change in the Dayotna if i lowered it? is it bad?
waiting for your recommendations.

thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-08-14, 14:11
Glocken

Yes it's bad. Me and a few others have 28" inseam and ride it fine. Unless your legs are that much shorter learn to ride it at its regular height

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #3 of 20 Old 12-08-14, 14:52
Neanderthal

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocken View Post
Yes it's bad. Me and a few others have 28" inseam and ride it fine. Unless your legs are that much shorter learn to ride it at its regular height
This is always easy to say for those that never have to park or move the bike around on steep terrain, or have good knees, lol. I've seen numerous people drop their bikes while at stop signs/backing their bike, ect. because it was too damn tall for them, lol.

Anyway, yes, there are a couple ways to lower the bike, and yes, it does affect the geometry somewhat. Didn't you realize this was an issue before buying the bike?

post #4 of 20 Old 12-08-14, 15:01
Glocken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
This is always easy to say for those that never have to park or move the bike around on steep terrain, or have good knees, lol. I've seen numerous people drop their bikes while at stop signs/backing their bike, ect. because it was too damn tall for them, lol.

Anyway, yes, there are a couple ways to lower the bike, and yes, it does affect the geometry somewhat. Didn't you realize this was an issue before buying the bike?
Height isn't what's making them drop their bike, their ego is. I get off my bike and push it back or push it anywhere. I'm also strong enough to handle my own bike.

And why did you assume I don't move my bike? My bikes parks on sidewalk & curbs always.

NYC is far from the flattest terrain.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #5 of 20 Old 12-08-14, 15:10
clate

I'd highly recommend you consider a low gel seat, or any other after market low version seat i.e. Sargent , Corbin, etc., before even considering lowering your machine, it's normally frowned upon along with if you were to ever sell the bike many individuals will not even consider a lowered version unless it was a factory option...

There is an old thread on here 'stock seat vs gel vs low gel comparison', have a search, hope that helps...
post #6 of 20 Old 12-08-14, 15:15
Neanderthal

Garage
I've personally witnessed several bikes dropped (mainly cruisers) right in front of my house at the stop sign. Once several hundred pounds starts falling to the side, if you don't have a decent footprint on the ground, that bike usually goes down. Yes - if inseam is an issue, you are better off getting off the bike and moving it around, however, that's not always practical in a traffic situation. Not all bikes are for all people.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-08-14, 15:53
Glocken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
. Not all bikes are for all people.
Yep, these lowering questions usually fall under that category.

I have many crowned roads here; they're even crowned on the white lanes (because of trucks sinking in ground) try splitting low speed on a crown when you can't flat foot at all.

post #8 of 20 Old 12-08-14, 22:26
TL2Bass

Lower it no more than 1" front and rear and you'll be OK. This is for street use at a moderate pace. If you track it or get aggressive through the corners (on street), you'll end up dragging hard parts quick.

I lowered mine for a couple months until I got used to doing the "captain morgan" thing with one foot. Now, seat height doesn't bother me at all and anything shy of a full on dirt bike is no sweat for my 28" inseam.

In the end, do whatever makes you comfortable. Just know that even 1/2" will alter the ground clearance enough that you'll start scraping pipe and heat shield when you turn up. If you're OK with that, you'll be fine.

www.thailongly.com
Twitter / Instagram : @TL2Bass

Motorcycle.com Test Rider
http://www.motorcycle.com
STG Sponsored Rider
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com

2016 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050
2014 Triumph STR - SOLD after 49k miles
post #9 of 20 Old 12-09-14, 04:45
Random Man

Always subscribed to my old racer mate's opinion on this that lowering the bike will change the dynamic of the bike and better tip toe. But to each his own if you can't get an inch from the seat.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-09-14, 13:00
spike_africa

You can have the seat modded by Spencer seats. He makes them a touch slimer, and makes them narrower so you will be able to get more of your foot down.

2009 Black Street Triple- Mine
2009 White 696 Ducati Monster- Hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement