About to do the spencer seat mod, regrets? - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 22 Old 10-15-14, 14:43 Thread Starter
chomorro

Question About to do the spencer seat mod, regrets?

I have done the spencer mod on one other bike and loved it and it was way cheaper then an aftermarket seat. I know on the triple he cant do anything with the pillion area because there isnt enough space. The sargeant does improve pillion comfort according to some threads.

Has anyone had direct comparison experience with the sargeant seat and the spencer seat? Any feedback? The sargeant is a solid choice but im short and the fact that it makes the seat wider bothers me. Im already up on my toes because my sag is set higher.

Thanks!

2011 Matte Grey STR
OEM Fork Sliders - Case Protectors - Rear Spools - Bar End Mirrors - Frame Sliders / TechSpec SS Pads / Cox Radiator Guard / SoCal Suspension Tuned / GPR V4 Stabilizer / Spencer Seat Mod / G2 Throttle Tamer / Gold Rim Stripes / Arrow Dual Exhaust with Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-15-14, 14:58
Neanderthal

Garage
Yes! I currently have the Sargent and have rode my bike with a friends (noclue_90) Spencer. Spencer offers a couple different options - his had the deluxe, long distance, or whatever the upgraded option was. My bike has a D675 front end and Penske shock, so it rides pretty firm to begin with. Anyhow......

If I had to do over again, I'd probably, maybe, get the Spencer. The Sargent is def more comfy for an all-day cruise, especially on the interstate. The Spencer is not quite as wide, so it's a little easier to move around on. Also, with the Sargent being a tad wider, it robs a little seat height, maybe 1/4"-1/2" effectively. The Sargent does do a better job keeping the nads off the tank.

If you do some track riding or nothing but twisty stuff - go with the Spencer. If you don't move around a lot or do spend some time on the interstate, the Sargent will be better. Both are great seats, and far, far better than the OEM offerings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:
chomorro (10-15-14)
post #3 of 22 Old 10-15-14, 15:26
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Garage
Hmm. I don't have any trouble moving around on my Sargent seat, even at the track. The only time I notice the additional width is when I'm stopped and even though I'm not short, flat footing with this seat is a bit of a chore since it makes my legs split out a lot wider than with the stock seat.

I had Spencer do the main seat of my FZ6R and it was a nice improvement over stock, but even with the upgraded foam he offers (supracor) my tush would get sore after a couple of hours in the saddle. With the Sargent on my ST3, I can go about twice that before my butt gets sore. My hips and knees get cramped on the ST3 due to my AP rearsets well before my butt becomes an issue. Even before the rearsets though, my butt held out longer than my hips and knees. With my current Sargent/AP setup though I have ridden about 400 miles in one day with only a stop for lunch and another couple short ones for gas with my butt making the trip just fine.

2012 Street Triple (Trinity) - Phantom Black
Trinity's Build Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Nastybutler For This Useful Post:
chomorro (10-15-14)

post #4 of 22 Old 10-15-14, 16:04
Neanderthal

Garage
NastyButler - I don't have a problem moving around on the Sargent, it's just easier on the Spencer. OP wanted direct comparisons. But yeah - you can go much farther on the Sargent as far as comfort. My longest days have been over 600 miles, and glad I had the Sargent for those!.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-15-14, 16:13 Thread Starter
chomorro
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I have only done a few days of 300+ miles trips. Right now i do about 100 mile trips and my butt is killing me so anything to help with short trips is welcome. I do move around a lot on my daily rides, im only 5'7" and a wider seat i really dont think i will like.

Need to find some local triple riders to test out some seats HAHA.

2011 Matte Grey STR
OEM Fork Sliders - Case Protectors - Rear Spools - Bar End Mirrors - Frame Sliders / TechSpec SS Pads / Cox Radiator Guard / SoCal Suspension Tuned / GPR V4 Stabilizer / Spencer Seat Mod / G2 Throttle Tamer / Gold Rim Stripes / Arrow Dual Exhaust with Tune
post #6 of 22 Old 10-15-14, 16:19
Neanderthal

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomorro View Post
....Need to find some local triple riders to test out some seats HAHA.
That's a smart plan. Sargent or Spencer, either choice is vastly better than the OEM unit. My first long trip on the OEM seat was about 300 miles, I think it took me all evening to pull my balls back in place, lol.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-20-14, 11:19
noclue90

I can say that after riding both, for the money, the Spencer is a better seat. For all touring or highway I would still go with the Sarge but for <200 mile trips or twistys, you can't go wrong with Spencer. At 1/3 of the price you'll get much improved comfort. Neanderthal and I did that 600+ mile day together and I was not sure after all day on the Spencer. Regardless they are both good options.

2009 Triumph Street Triple- White Lightning
2007 Triumph Daytona- Golden Thunder
The Following User Says Thank You to noclue90 For This Useful Post:
chomorro (10-20-14)
post #8 of 22 Old 10-20-14, 12:17
ccrider

Spencer Seat Mod

Had the Spencer on my KLX250 - 100% improvement. Wish I had gone that way on my Street Triple rather than the Sargent.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccrider For This Useful Post:
chomorro (10-20-14)
post #9 of 22 Old 10-20-14, 13:24 Thread Starter
chomorro

Weather is finally starting to get a little cloudy so i wont mind being without my seat for awhile. Plan on shipping it out to him soon but i need to get the gf to take a seated pic for me HAHAH

2011 Matte Grey STR
post #10 of 22 Old 02-19-15, 14:47 Thread Starter
chomorro

Update: Put about 500 miles on the seat so far. ABSOLUTELY worth the very little money it cost. I can ride for a few hours now no problem, where as before after 30 min my butt would start hurting. As far a heat resistance, there was a few times when it was really hot out my butt got hot sitting at a stop light so not sure it made a difference.

To be fair i installed Arrow dual slip ons at the same time so that might have helped with the seat heat as well.

2011 Matte Grey STR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement