Ebay Levers - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #31 of 69 Old 01-24-15, 17:33
Decipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocken View Post
Not arguing but it's more like the unfortunate of the few; people aren't running around telling others the success a product is designed to do , only if it phucks up. And no where does it say JPR levers are made anywhere else but the place you despise so much.
True but the issue has already been stated. The Chinese knock-off is likely an infringement on a patented design because they can hide in China. So, they rip the design by reverse engineering it with no check on quality control of material or design. They then implore underage or underpaid workers to manufacture said rip-off. Americans love cheap products so we buy the shit out of this garbage, taking jobs away from Americans.

Putting this aside, a company like JPR is reputable, held to a certain American standard, and marginally more expensive than your craptastic of a gamble on Chinese knock-offs. I'm not some blowhard who will claim to have nothing that was made in China. I simply insist on a verifiable product that my life depends on. This isn't a coffee table. It's the lever that allows you to stop when you have to. Why not pay $20 more for a quality product or, at least, peace of mind?

Progress Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!
2012 Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 01-24-15, 18:00
Zaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocken View Post
You're right quality control is the only thing that will separate all the knockoff pazzos. Until someone can have a huge batch to test back to back and inspect, assuming everything is bad and advising against it is all false.
I understand what you are getting at. I'd estimate that 95% of Chinese brake levers will work fine and never have an issue beyond fading of cheap anodizing. That may be good enough for you and a lot of people, but I don't like those odds. Especially for a guy like me that routinely exceeds 150 mph at the race track. A bad set of brake levers could kill me.

There is REAL EVIDENCE of issues with Chinese brake levers. Do the google search. This is not just one person who crashed, and a 1000 people saying "I've heard Chinese brake levers can lock up." Yeah there are people who repeat what they hear, but there are also hundreds of individual verified reports of problems.

I've seen multiple times myself where a guy fits up a set, takes pictures, reports "they fit and look great, going for a ride now!" and his next post is a picture of his bike on a flatbed trailer. It's happened to a friend of mine, and it ****ed him up so much he gave up riding. He was lucky he's not dead. You guys want to hear the interesting part? His insurance company spotted his newly installed levers, read the police report and denied his insurance claim, and then he paid a loan on a bike that he didn't have for 4 years.

So you guys can probably understand why I keep trying to push this. Every time an ebay levers thread pops up, I'll be there.
post #33 of 69 Old 01-24-15, 20:13
trumppking

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
I've seen multiple times myself where a guy fits up a set, takes pictures, reports "they fit and look great, going for a ride now!" and his next post is a picture of his bike on a flatbed trailer. It's happened to a friend of mine, and it ****ed him up so much he gave up riding. He was lucky he's not dead. You guys want to hear the interesting part? His insurance company spotted his newly installed levers, read the police report and denied his insurance claim, and then he paid a loan on a bike that he didn't have for 4 years.

So you guys can probably understand why I keep trying to push this. Every time an ebay levers thread pops up, I'll be there.
I appreciate your story and I think it sums up this topic perfectly, why risk it. Neanderthal's break down on the amount of cash we drop on our pride and joy is a great point as well. Not to get off topic but when I bought my back protector, I could of went with some less expensive one but I didn't. Like you said, going 150mph around a track, its nice having that piece of mind and its one less thing to think about when diving into a corner with 5 other bikes around you. And lord knows, there are plenty of other things you should be paying attention to. Buy what you want but I believe there are genuine people here that are looking out for our best interests and I certainly appreciate it!!

KEEP CALM and RIDE ON

post #34 of 69 Old 01-24-15, 22:55
Disco
Site Sponsor

We've got the JPR levers on sale right now for $89/pair

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171938
post #35 of 69 Old 01-24-15, 23:03
Decipher

I already linked people to this deal. I can't see buying questionable eBay levers when you can get these for such a good deal.

I'm spent.

Progress Fuels Motion...Motion Fuels Momentum...Momentum Fuels Action...DO SOMETHING!
2012 Street Triple R
post #36 of 69 Old 01-25-15, 01:36
Aeolus

Garage
Ebay Levers

Consensus is not at all don't buy Chinese. Consensus is buy from a reputable company that will face legal repercussions here in the US.

Good luck serving Mr. Dong in Schezuan province with papers.

Chinese companies are known for running identical products on the 3rd shift with inferior materials and lack luster quality control. Or perhaps the very cheap lever you are purchasing failed the quality control of the said reputable US company due to a problem and they're trying to recoup some of the cost.

post #37 of 69 Old 01-25-15, 01:56
Disco
Site Sponsor

Thanks! Yeah the JPR levers also have a 1 year manufacturer warranty (not including crash damage of course)
post #38 of 69 Old 01-25-15, 07:07
Decipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
Consensus is not at all don't buy Chinese. Consensus is buy from a reputable company that will face legal repercussions here in the US.

Good luck serving Mr. Dong in Schezuan province with papers.

Chinese companies are known for running identical products on the 3rd shift with inferior materials and lack luster quality control. Or perhaps the very cheap lever you are purchasing failed the quality control of the said reputable US company due to a problem and they're trying to recoup some of the cost.
Haha...Mr. Dong never wong.

2012 Street Triple R
post #39 of 69 Old 01-25-15, 13:00
twistyrider

I'm not saying all stuff from china is good, but not all of it is garbage either. I'm pretty sure I have the jpr's too because they were the only affordable company that sold levers for the 675r. Also it seems most of these issues happened to gsxr riders and not sure if you know this, but suzuki did a mass recall on a decade of gsxr 600,750, and 1000 master cylinders. Then on top of that a few of these were people who installed the wrong levers. That takes me back to my previous post, that if you can't tell it's the right part, maybe you shouldn't be working on your own stuff. Finally this "spontaneous lock up" caused from slight pressure on the plunger... Well the pads are always slightly rubbing on the pads, that's what makes breaking instant. Just spin your wheel with the caliper on then off. If there is any more pressure then that, you're going to feel it. This could also happen from a sticking caliper and most people who are paying $20 for levers don't clean or rebuild there calipers as they should. Im not saying levers didn't cause some of these crashes, but from what I've read there was a lot of human error in these crashes too. Back to my previous post again, it doesn't matter if it's mr. Dong of china or mr. Smith of the USA. If it's after market they always recommend the item be installed by a professional and if you are not and you crash, you're going to be on your own
post #40 of 69 Old 01-29-15, 12:52
spike_africa

As someone who has I think it was 2 brothers or some other vendor that a few years ago everyone used to get levels from. I can say the cheap ones suck. They fit like shit, I had to drill my clutch level hole out to make it fit correctly, they are sloppy, the coatings fade, and they overall suck. I should of spent a few more bucks and gotten something better.

2009 Black Street Triple- Mine
2009 White 696 Ducati Monster- Hers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement