Is Tune ECU Killing ECU's??? - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 10-18-19, 17:50 Thread Starter
High on Octane

Is Tune ECU Killing ECU's???

So, a technician at my work just told me to never use Tune ECU because it is notorious for locking up ECU's. Is this due to operator stupidity? Or does Tune ECU not live up to the hype? I already downloaded the app, but now I'm super skeptical to even use it. Any insight is greatly appreciate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-18-19, 18:31
cdenley

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by High on Octane View Post
So, a technician at my work just told me to never use Tune ECU because it is notorious for locking up ECU's. Is this due to operator stupidity? Or does Tune ECU not live up to the hype? I already downloaded the app, but now I'm super skeptical to even use it. Any insight is greatly appreciate!
I've never heard of anyone bricking their ECU due to a bug in the TuneECU software. However, if flashing your ECU is interrupted regardless of software (not specific to TuneECU), then you could brick your ECU. So if the cable falls out, your battery dies, your cheap knock-off adapter flakes out, whatever happens while you are writing new map data to your ECU, you could brick it. But if you are using TuneECU for diagnostics, I would not be worried at all. I would use the most recent Android version though, not the dead but free Windows version.

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Expert #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
post #3 of 9 Old 10-18-19, 18:46
Plasmablaster

Garage
I've used it several times to map the bike. Never had any issues and actually it worked properly EVERY time, in contrast with TuneBoy which is much less reliable. I bought TuneBoy due to its creator's claim that it can eliminate the fuel cut on closed throttle... but whatever the reason, the bike runs better on Tuneboy maps, and by that I don't mean fuelling per se... strangely enough it makes less vibrations and runs smoother for some inexplicable to me reason. So I'm currently running a Tuneboy map.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-19, 21:22 Thread Starter
High on Octane
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Ok. Thanks for the replies. That's exactly what I was thinking. I kept thinking about it and came to the conclusion that: A) of course a dealer technician (not a Triumph dealer though) is going to knock it because he only sees the bike once the ECU is cooked. And B) a Triumph dealer is going to knock it because it is taking away from their bottom dollar. Yet I see hundreds, thousands(?) of posts with very successful use.

Basically, I recently traded in my Road King on a mint bone stock 2014 Street Triple R. I just installed a Two Brothers S1R slip on, and 15 tooth front. I love tuning and I do all my own maintenance and service. So, I've been reading up on Tune ECU for 2 weeks since I got the bike and finally downloaded the app and the 3 available maps today.

I saw you can import PCV maps. How reliable is that? I already have the software and am familiar as my hog had a PCV that I built a total of 22 progressively better maps for until I nailed it. I was thinking if that works well I could build my maps there and import them. Feedback?

2014 Street Triple R ABS
Riding & Wrenching Since 1991
post #5 of 9 Old 10-18-19, 23:01
cdenley

Garage
Quote:
I saw you can import PCV maps. How reliable is that? I already have the software and am familiar as my hog had a PCV that I built a total of 22 progressively better maps for until I nailed it. I was thinking if that works well I could build my maps there and import them. Feedback?
Not reliable at all. It isn't an exact translation, the maps are different. The larger the trim value, the more inaccurate it will be.

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Expert #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
post #6 of 9 Old 10-18-19, 23:54 Thread Starter
High on Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
Not reliable at all. It isn't an exact translation, the maps are different. The larger the trim value, the more inaccurate it will be.
Good to know and glad I asked. Thanks.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-19, 08:40
AYoDread

Quote:

Sadly it is operator error, the problem with TuneECU is you HAVE to follow every direction. No matter what you are adjusting, changing etc you have to follow each step, step by step. Most common thing I have read is people getting tired of waiting for the green light when the bike is idling and disconnecting which is the finally step or not going through that last step. Other issues is accidentally turning the bike on/off, resetting their laptop or letting the bike battery die.

TuneECU is a good product for the price for DIY like myself, but there is always a catch with Free apps.

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-19, 09:58 Thread Starter
High on Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYoDread View Post
Sadly it is operator error, the problem with TuneECU is you HAVE to follow every direction. No matter what you are adjusting, changing etc you have to follow each step, step by step. Most common thing I have read is people getting tired of waiting for the green light when the bike is idling and disconnecting which is the finally step or not going through that last step. Other issues is accidentally turning the bike on/off, resetting their laptop or letting the bike battery die.

TuneECU is a good product for the price for DIY like myself, but there is always a catch with Free apps.
So, I've read that you must make sure your phone and bike are plugged into chargers, and ideally disable the headlight. How long does it typically take for a map to upload? I'm used to using a laptop and PCV which is instant.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-19-19, 10:57
AYoDread

Quote:
So, I've read that you must make sure your phone and bike are plugged into chargers, and ideally disable the headlight. How long does it typically take for a map to upload? I'm used to using a laptop and PCV which is instant.
At least 30 mins from start to finish. The last time I used it was to turn my Oxygen sensor back on thats it , and it was 30 - 35mins from start to finish. I didn't need my trickle charger. When I changed maps it hooked the bike up to a battery tender.

reading your map, and resetting adaptations takes the longest.

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement