Triumph 675 Forums banner

Underslung Caliper Rubbing the Rim

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  keeena 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for assistance with an ongoing issue I'm having related to an underslung caliper that is attached to a bracket made by one of our awesome forum members. A little while ago now, I had a rear bearing completely fail on me during a ride, which caused intense heat throughout the rear rim, the caliper and even subframe. I trailered the bike, replaced the bearings, and started noticing the caliper was rubbing one portion of the inner rim.

I ended up replacing the rim; no effect. I replaced the axle; no effect. Replaced the rotor; no effect. Had the bracket replaced; no effect. I don't know what else could be causing a non linear rub on the rim. And ideas or suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
That is very odd you had no issues prior to the bearing failure and now you do, even with a different wheel. The contact point is minimum at best, are you also using captive wheel spacers old ones or new one (have have them on the wrong side?? is the rotor riding in the middle of the caliper between the pads or offset a pit?

#3 ·
I'm stumped :nomore: I'm using captive spacers, which were installed after the bearing issue. I checked a few times to be certain, and they're on the correct side. I even took the rotor off the rim (seen in the second photo) because I thought that it may have been warped by the heat... still rubs. It literally only rubs 1/3 of the circumference.

The only thing I can think of that would still cause this is the swingarm (somehow warped, which I feel like it would take an extremely high amount of heat), which doesn't make sense in my head since the issue seems to be centrifugally related, ie. axle, rotor, rim.

#5 ·
So I had tested it first with the OEM spacers, and still the same issue. It's a 2010.

A buddy thought the fact that I had the rim powder coated could cause the issue, but regardless of how much thickness the coating added, there still shouldn't be an asymmetrical rotation around the axle... am I right? I should note that the imbalance isn't bad at all considering I don't feel any vibrations, even at 120-130km/h while on the highway.

#7 · (Edited)
I'd be surprised if the intended clearance of the underslung caliper would be close enough to cause issues just due to powdercoat thickness.

What caliper is the hanger spec'ed for? It looks like you're not running the stock Daytona Nissin rear caliper, but I don't know what the hanger is designed to work with.

[Edit] - I realize this doesn't address the apparent asym wear. I was thinking this could possibly be due to natural imperfection in the casting (its not a machined surface). But even still: the gouging does seem to be beyond what might exist for casting irregularities

[Edit2] - Have you looked closely at the sprocket carrier side? Is anything jammed in there preventing it from seating correctly, thus throwing whole rim off? Is the inner spacer still installed on the back-side of the carrier?

#6 ·
I know from experience, that a wheel if powdercoated can get jacked up, especially if the bearing install was not smooth.. the shop that did my front wheel on my MV agusta tweaked the front wheel hub... so cost me $600..... if you have a gauge that can do run out, check the hub that it has not been tweaked.

#9 ·
If the wear is asymmetric then basically the only cause for that can be that the bearing is not seated in the center of the wheel. How much of a gap is on the other side of where the wear is (same side of wheel, just turn it 180*) between the caliper and rim? The bearing will be out 1/2 the difference of the two. If the difference is very small then powder coating could be the cause of your problem.

#14 ·
Solved... the photos below are taken in rotations that are 90 degrees from each other, with the bike on a stand. There is no contact between the rim and caliper, and the clearance is symmetircal with the current OEM bearings installed in this rim. Nothing else has changed, including the axle, spacers, caliper, or bracket. I guess one or more bearings have been installed incorrectly, and the thickness of the powdercoating both contributed to the issue.

Thanks for taking the time to help me work through this :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.