fuel pump leak - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 7 Old 05-30-20, 16:42 Thread Starter
cdenley

Garage
fuel pump leak

On my 2012 Daytona 675R, when the fuel line is disconnected, the pump will slowly leak fuel. Is this normal? Should I plug the spigot if I store filled and disconnected over the winter? I assumed this was not normal but couldn't get it to stop and I don't see anything wrong with the O-ring. So I ordered another fuel pump assembly on E-Bay. After I took it apart and fixed the little plastic piece that falls out of place, it worked just like the old one. It runs fine, but when disconnected slowly leaks. Normal, or two bad pumps?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200529_171905075_2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	252739

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Amateur #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-30-20, 18:31
Renboy

Garage
Not normal. Shouldn't leak.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-30-20, 20:37 Thread Starter
cdenley
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Not normal. Shouldn't leak.
Does everything look correct in the photo? Any ideas how to fix it? Preferably without buying a whole new assembly for $700. Try to find a replacement O-ring? Maybe I could just seal it with MotoSeal gasket maker? Is this a common problem or something?

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Amateur #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing

post #4 of 7 Old 06-01-20, 09:52 Thread Starter
cdenley

Garage
I think MotoSeal worked. I left my tank full and disconnected over night, and it didn't leak a drop. Last time, it left a puddle. I guess I will do the same fix with my old pump, then I'll have a spare.

My question now is could my drip leak have impacted fuel delivery? I know it would maintain 3 PSI under idle just fine. I seemed to be down a little power on my last dyno tune. Not sure if the leaking pump could be the culprit, or if the fuel maps should be adjusted now that it is fixed.

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Amateur #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
post #5 of 7 Old 06-01-20, 13:39 Thread Starter
cdenley

Garage
I guess I spoke to soon. Went to check on it again, and now there is a puddle! Well there would be if I didn't leave a catch pan. It is a consistent drip though. Maybe it isn't bypassing the pump through the gasket like I thought, but the pump itself? I actually have a new aftermarket pump in the Ebay pump assembly right now. I could try the original pump that came with the Ebay pump assembly. But it takes about 12 hours before it begins to drip, so this is going to suck to troubleshoot.

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Amateur #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
post #6 of 7 Old 06-01-20, 17:40
Renboy

Garage
Sorry, can't really help any further. I don't have a spare pump here to play with to see what could cause the leak.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-01-20, 20:59 Thread Starter
cdenley

Garage
I did some testing with the 2 pumps I currently don't have installed. I used a syringe and forced some fuel into the inlet to see how it would react to positive pressure. It would flow out a pinhole rather than the outlet. So I don't think venting can cause the pump itself to leak. Not that I noticed any venting problems before. I have the driven gas cap, which is supposed to have a venting system which does not require a hose. I verified the vent hole in the cap and the tank are both clear.

Could I have 2 bad O-rings which visually look perfectly fine? I just ordered a pack of O-rings from Amazon, but they won't be here until Friday. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a flaw in the pump assembly design. Not really a flaw since the fuel line is always supposed to be connected. But maybe this happens when the pressure relief valve (metal ring at the top of the pump assembly) is submerged and the atmospheric pressure changes?

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Amateur #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement