The Status of motorcycling in the U.S. - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Stuff of interest General Off-Topic topics - anything that's on your mind. Please read the rules before posting

post #11 of 23 Old 05-31-18, 14:39
tottenham12712

A new updated DRZ. I love my 2015 but having a carb in 2018 is kind of annoying. An updated lighter frame, fuel injection, and updated suspension would make that bike even better then it already is, and with modern designs im sure it would produce some more tq. Unfortunately emissions standards will ruin the DRZ getting a proper update.

Edit: just realized this post is months old but whatever, point still stands :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 06-01-18, 10:27
Zaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham12712 View Post
A new updated DRZ. I love my 2015 but having a carb in 2018 is kind of annoying. An updated lighter frame, fuel injection, and updated suspension would make that bike even better then it already is, and with modern designs im sure it would produce some more tq. Unfortunately emissions standards will ruin the DRZ getting a proper update.

Edit: just realized this post is months old but whatever, point still stands :P
Did you notice that Honda is coming out with a seriously spec'ed out CRF450L next year? Fully adjustable suspension, aluminum frame, very light weight, great performance. The only real downside is cost. I'm seriously eyeing one up.

I was eying up a 2017+ KTM duke 390 until I realized that KTM still sucks at fuel injected - more to the point they aren't as good as Japanese brands at dealing with emissions and making a rideable bike.
post #13 of 23 Old 06-01-18, 10:43
tottenham12712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Did you notice that Honda is coming out with a seriously spec'ed out CRF450L next year? Fully adjustable suspension, aluminum frame, very light weight, great performance. The only real downside is cost. I'm seriously eyeing one up.

I was eying up a 2017+ KTM duke 390 until I realized that KTM still sucks at fuel injected - more to the point they aren't as good as Japanese brands at dealing with emissions and making a rideable bike.

If they come out with a SM version I would buy it. I dont go offroad much I just love the dirt bike feel on the street its a blast. I wont buy a KTM, ive seen too many fail on the track.

post #14 of 23 Old 06-01-18, 17:30
Zaph

I'm an SM fan myself. I would just give it the Warp9 treatment, but keep the knobbies around for a little dirt here and there.
post #15 of 23 Old 06-01-18, 19:58
Cheyenne Bodie

Garage
In the US, driving isn't seen as a valuable skill at all, people just want a lay-z-boy that says friendly things to them about the weather and comes with 400 horses and paddle shifters. At least with performance and trail bikes we still see technology pioneered by racing and trials instead of how many languages the seatbelt reminder knows. I know one thing that will always be true about racing, it sells bikes. I'll reiterate the distracted drivers point, I agree people are more distracted these days than ever before.

There's that old addage that vehicles can be three things: fast, reliable, and cheap, but you only can ever pick two of those things realistically. I'll take reliable and fast, something I can service and upgrade myself for fun and the track, and then have a backroad bike on the side that's affordable and reliable. Unless it's a die hard off the shelf race bike, reliability has to be factored in as having a strong baseline already I suppose, but you pay for it one way or another.
post #16 of 23 Old 06-02-18, 09:33
AYoDread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJFZ1 View Post
Read here:

The Industry is hurting, for many reasons.. and looking for ways to improve.

and Corey Beth posed a very good question relative to some of the problems:

"Serious Question:

If you could have a production street bike that is not currently available, what would you want to be able to buy?

**Let me edit this a little.

If you could tell the industry to build any bike, that you would actually buy, what would it be?"

What would you say, in regards to what the industry could do, and to answer the "what bike" question?

Bring back the old bikes, or an updated version of them.

I did a report on this back in college. I remember seeing a lot of guys buying used bikes in their 20's because they can't afford new and no 1 wants to drop a new bike. They ride for years, settle down to start a family and thennsell the bike. Then in their 40's kids are grown and now they are looking for their 1st love or the bike closes to it, which is most likely a used bike.

I bought my 1st bike May 22nd 2011 in my 20's . It was a Tornado Red 2009 Triumph D675. Let's say I started a family had kids and now 20 years later in my 40's I am ready to ride again. I'm natural going to look for a 2009 -2012 Tornado Red Triumph D675. If there is a new 2031 Triumph D675 I going to compare it to my old one and see if it gives me the same feeling and has the same sounds and smells as my old one.

If they no longer make the triumph Daytona (like they do now) Then I would go to a new bike based on how I plan on riding it, which then would be passed down to my son used, until he buys a new one. I think that's is what hurting sales.

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
post #17 of 23 Old 06-02-18, 14:02
Thatkid

As with anything, it's those damned millennials. They don't want to own anything, be it a car, house, responsibility... Uber and Lyft and every other ride share app makes it easier and cheaper to get around so why own a car or motorcycle? The coming generation can't even drive a manual transmission car. Hell, I can't even find a decent manual car these days.

I, personally, love the look of a hyper motard and the feel of a naked bike. Sure, fast is fun, but I want maneuverability and utility. I want my ass to be able to get out of the way when teslas self driving moron is about to plow into me. I wish cars became faraday cages and phones wouldn't work inside.

I do believe that no matter what bike you make, the new generation won't really care. Motorcycle manufacturer's will drop to a few models to save themselves. Look at Ford. As house and rent prices have skyrocketed in cities and even suburbs near cities, the money for toys isn't there. My house isn't that close to the city but it was on the market for a day and had 3 other offers besides mine. There was no negotiating price. It was asking or above.

Custom metalwork. PM me with your ideas.
post #18 of 23 Old 06-08-18, 10:03
BeautyinGeometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatkid View Post
As with anything, it's those damned millennials. They don't want to own anything, be it a car, house, responsibility... Uber and Lyft and every other ride share app makes it easier and cheaper to get around so why own a car or motorcycle? The coming generation can't even drive a manual transmission car. Hell, I can't even find a decent manual car these days.
Come on, man. I'm 26. My first car was a crappy Honda Civic, manual transmission. I've only owned manual cars. I can heel-toe smoothly and everything. I take riding my motorcycle safely and skillfully very seriously, have done the safety course, etc...I have friends that do the same, and love the challenge and thrill of riding.

I know how to get dirty and use a wrench, I never pay someone else to do something I can do myself with more care and attention, and I take responsibility for the condition of my vehicles. It's rough putting a whole generation in one basket. There are idiots in every generation. It's not like everyone was super skilled at driving manual before automatic was around. They did it because that was the technology available. Most people sucked at it.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-19-19, 12:23
Goldn

I still see a pretty high percentage of the military population are motorcycle riders, and I dont think its just because we are younger/thrill seeker any of that. I think it is easy access to free motorcycle education.

A lot of people start riding in the military simply because they can get free classes, use loaner bikes, and its all convenient and well known. In the civilian world, I think if manufacturers would advertise free training, no commitment to purchase anything, it would demistify the community and hook people.

Right now most people that get into riding I think know someone else who rides, and have someoen kinda bring them into the community. Not everyone has that, and good reach out from manufacturers could help revive the market!
post #20 of 23 Old 01-19-19, 17:32
Reroll

Very much true. Hardest part about getting someone into riding is convincing them to take the MSF course. Everyone is hooked after that. If it were easier to take there would be many more riders. I also think that it is beneficial for everyone, not only riders, to take. You understand the control motorcyclists have and it makes you a safer driver in your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement