Rear Wheel Changing - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 19 Old 05-17-20, 17:45 Thread Starter
Emir Zukic

Rear Wheel Changing

Has anyone found a way to make tire changes easier, especially for the rear tire? The rear is a PITA to align perfectly.

2010 Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-18-20, 00:17
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
post #3 of 19 Old 05-18-20, 00:26
Thatkid

Sounds like you need captive wheel spacers!

Custom metalwork. PM me with your ideas.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-18-20, 12:51
keeena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatkid View Post
Sounds like you need captive wheel spacers!
That an a captive rear caliper makes things a lot easier. FF makes them, captive wheel spacers, and other bits. LINK.

I happen to have a few captive caliper brackets that I'd sell if you're interested too (I've made them for friends and have a few extras).
post #5 of 19 Old 05-26-20, 11:08
NorCalTrumpet

It is a bit finicky in my experience. Since my Daytona is my track bike, rear wheel/tire changes are fairly common so without going too nuts (I have a limited budget) I put on captive spacers + the Lightech chain adjusters. That has made wheel changes much easier and much easier chain adjustment.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-10-20, 15:49 Thread Starter
Emir Zukic
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
Alignment? As in chain adjustment?
No, I mean when you change the rear tire. It is a PITA is put the new rim w/ tire back in.

2010 Street Triple R
post #7 of 19 Old 06-10-20, 15:54 Thread Starter
Emir Zukic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeena View Post
That an a captive rear caliper makes things a lot easier. FF makes them, captive wheel spacers, and other bits. LINK.

I happen to have a few captive caliper brackets that I'd sell if you're interested too (I've made them for friends and have a few extras).
Wow! Thanks. Will it make a difference? i just didn't think the spacer was the problem, in the sense that it moved around too much and stuff. It was more so the lack thereof space. It seemed like I only had 1 mm of wiggle room to get the tire back in.

How much for the spacers shipped to 55112? Will the front cause issues? i read that the rear works well and the front requires a bit of modification.

2010 Street Triple R
post #8 of 19 Old 06-10-20, 15:56 Thread Starter
Emir Zukic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTrumpet View Post
It is a bit finicky in my experience. Since my Daytona is my track bike, rear wheel/tire changes are fairly common so without going too nuts (I have a limited budget) I put on captive spacers + the Lightech chain adjusters. That has made wheel changes much easier and much easier chain adjustment.
Thanks, bud. I'll look into the chain adjuster. As I replied to the guy above your comment, it seemed to me that the problem was the lack of wiggle room when putting the new tire back on (felt like 1 mm of play).

2010 Street Triple R
post #9 of 19 Old 06-12-20, 15:18
Neanderthal

Garage
Having 4 bikes and doing tire changes myself, Captive Spacers are absolutely worth it to me. It's also been my experience that with Captive Spacers, you are much less likely to tear up the dust seals protecting the wheel bearings when mounting/dismounting the wheel, due to the OEM spacers wanting to wiggle out of place. I also use a Pit Bull Tire Wedge to help hold the tire in position. Every little thing helps. :)
post #10 of 19 Old 06-12-20, 15:31
keeena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emir Zukic View Post
Wow! Thanks. Will it make a difference? i just didn't think the spacer was the problem, in the sense that it moved around too much and stuff. It was more so the lack thereof space. It seemed like I only had 1 mm of wiggle room to get the tire back in.

How much for the spacers shipped to 55112? Will the front cause issues? i read that the rear works well and the front requires a bit of modification.
Yeah, a captive caliper hanger helps out nearly as much as captive spacers. If you do both: wheel changes are incredibly easy.

When I said I had extras: I meant the captive brake caliper setups, not spacers. While I have made the spacers before, I would first check the other guy on this board who makes them - I think he might have some sets ready to go. But if not: I could make a set (or you can buy them from a number of places like FF I mentioned above).

Regarding the front wheel: you do have to modify a circlip in order to use a captive spacer on the LH side. Requires removing the dust seal and then having circlip pliers to remove the circlip. You just have to grind a little bit of material off the ears for clearance; see pic below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement