2015 ST3 R CCT install - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 4 Old 02-24-20, 12:31 Thread Starter
JB Brock

2015 ST3 R CCT install

Hello all.

I'm about to replace the hydraulic cam chain tensioner on a high mileage 2015 ST3 R. I have the workshop manual (see clip below). The manual says that when installing a new tensioner "do not release the plunger" before install. It goes on to say to remove the wedge and the pin, rotate the engine 1/4 turn anti-clockwise, then rotate two full revolutions clockwise. This apparently engages the plunger on the hydraulic tensioner.

However, the manual also says in bold that the tensioner will be empty of oil on start up and that the blade/chain may be noisy for the first 5 seconds or so until the plunger feels oil pressure.

Here is my concern, there is a probability that the chain is already stretched. What is there to keep the chain from jumping a tooth while I hand rotate the engine with the tensioner not yet engaged? Also, assuming the hand rotation sequence releases the retaining clip and the tensioner goes under some spring tension, isn't there a chance of the chain jumping time in the 5 or so seconds it takes to build up oil pressure in the tensioner?

I would be less concerned if I were taking out the cams and installing new chain and blades but I was thinking of just changing the tensioner and tension blade first. If the chain is stretched on this 70K mile bike there seems to be a good chance that I could slip a tooth before the new tensioner self adjusts. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Last edited by JB Brock; 02-24-20 at 12:33. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-24-20, 15:05
Stephen Pilsworth

When I did mine I removed the cam chain engin casing, wrapped a cable tie round the lower part to keep it nice and tight

Undid the tensioner, slid the new one in and tightened it until I could remove the cable tie, then rotated while finger tightening the new manual tensioner then back if off 1/4 turn. You'll notice when you start the bike if it needs to be tightened more.

It's not as complex as the manual says, just make sure you don't remove the old without using something to keep the cam chain tight.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 02-24-20, 18:42
MGFChapin

Garage
Has the chain ever been replaced? If it's original, at 70k it's probably way past its limit.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-20, 14:38
Dirk777

Hi,
there is no need to change the complete tensioner normally. The spring is the part that fails first, and it can be replaced simply. You can get it on ebay.
You should be able to check if the chain has lenghtened excessivly by checking the timing marks and the chain guides by looking at the gliding surfaces. If the bike has been been maintenanced according to the schedule until now, I'd check all this with the next inspection, when the valve clearance has to be controlled either.

Dirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement