Triumph 675 Forums banner

ATTENTION all tool junkies!!

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
Little by little acquiring tools for mainly maintenance work on the D675. For all the tool whores out there :sifone:, what tools have you acquired thus far for working on a motorcycle in general? Which would you consider in your opinion a necessity for all riders to have whether it be daily maintenance or once in a blue moon emergencies?

#3 ·
For the Daytona 675 off the top of my head:

Service manual
Socket set in metric from 7mm-17mm
17mm hex socket for front axle
27mm socket for rear axle
36mm for front sprocket nut
32mm/1-1/4in socket for top yoke nut
Stubby phillips driver for some of the fairing well nuts
Hex sockets in 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm and maybe 10mm?
Needlenose pliers
8mm & 10mm wrenches
Hose clamp pliers
Large phillips driver for battery terminals
Feeler gauges for setting valves
Gasket scraper
Torque wrenches in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives.
Rear stand (Pit-bull)
Front pin-lift stand (Pit-bull)
Blue threadlocker (just about every bolt)
Red Threadlocker (Front sprocket nut, frame bolts)
Oil drain pan
Multimeter
Wire stripper/crimp tool
Soldering iron
Safety wire stuff is a good idea, even if you don't go on the track

I would keep one of those multi-tools that has a full range of metric hex keys in it on the bike at all times.

#4 · (Edited)
My goto tool set is a Hazet ¼" drive set. It's amazing how convenient a set like that is. It's small compact has most of the sizes you need for everything and strong enough for for most jobs. Also small so it fits in places ⅜" does not and light so you can spin the drives between your fingers and thread unthread things quickly.

#5 ·
My goto tool set is a Hazel ¼" drive set. It's amazing how convenient a set like that is. It's small compact has most of the sizes you need for everything and strong enough for for most jobs. Also small so it fits in places ⅜" does not and light so you can spin the drives between your fingers and thread unthread things quickly.
+1 for the 1/4" drive socket set. Deeply recessed engine/clutch/stator/sprocket cover bolts are a pain.

Otherwise I reckon you could just about tear down and rebuild the entire bike with Hokie's list.

#15 ·
Whatever you do, don't buy motion pro crap. They don't honor their shit products when they warp/bend or break.

Reactions: Mr_td675
#16 ·
Home Depot sells packs of these small super-magnets that wedge perfectly into an 8mm socket (and can be epoxied into larger sizes). Anyone who has struggled with the 8mm bolts in the Daytona tail section will appreciate this. This was such a life-changer that I now have a duplicate set of 8, 9, 10, & 11mm sockets with magnets in my 1/4" drive box. They do become somewhat shallow for some nuts, but I just switch between my regular socket and the magnetic one and no longer drop the devils and waste time trying to retrieve them.

Attachments

#18 ·
Don't totally discount Motion Pro. They offer a lot of specialized tools you won't get from anyone else. Yeah some of it is cheap but a lot them are actually well made. Don't ever count on a tool warranty from anyone. They can always claim abuse and not honor it. I've seen this from every manufacturer over the years. Take care of your tools and don't use excessive force. If you have to use a lot of force and you've done everything you can to ease the load and you know you are doing things correctly then expect to loose a tool in the job. It's a lot less stressful when something breaks when you are expecting it to.

That said back to Motion Pro. They aren't a normal tool manufacturer as they sell 3rd party exclusively and their primary business is bike accessories not tools. So just as with bike parts if something breaks you typically go back to where you buy it from. This is where it's nice to have a good relationship with a local dealer. They can get stuff done you have no hope of getting done. I use this same tactic when buying any high dollar item I might need help with. Buy it local. It may cost more but when you need help with it it's a lot lot easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.