Triumph 675 Forums banner

what did you do to your 675 today????

1M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  siq75 
#1 ·
just like the title states, what did u do to your 675 today?

I rode mine to pick up a gel passenger seat, then installed front and rear brakes, and polished/waxed the paint

#8,770 ·
Replaced the sprockets and chain, but like an idiot I was thinking that the front sprocket was a 16t on the Daytona (like my street was). Hopped on the freeway and thought "Man, was the chain really that toast? I picked up like 6mph at cruising rpm. Wait a minute..."

So I'll probably have a very lightly used 16t 520 driven front sprocket for sale soon =P.

#8,771 ·
Replaced the sprockets and chain, but like an idiot I was thinking that the front sprocket was a 16t on the Daytona (like my street was). Hopped on the freeway and thought "Man, was the chain really that toast? I picked up like 6mph at cruising rpm. Wait a minute..."

So I'll probably have a very lightly used 16t 520 driven front sprocket for sale soon =P.
...stock sprocket is 16t for a Daytona...

#8,785 ·
I was going to say something about how you Americans liking doing things large blah, blah, blah but all I could think about was how yummy those doughnuts are haha. I've never actually bought them myself but they are my universal currency when it comes to helping people out with their bikes on my local forum. :grin:
If I'm not mistaken, aren't ozzies catching up to us in that regard? At least the US isn't #1 anymore.

#8,797 ·
If I'm not mistaken, aren't ozzies catching up to us in that regard? At least the US isn't #1 anymore.
Catching up means you're still in the lead...and your question mark leads me to believe you already knew that.
Thanks for the input guys. I had done research for many hours before pulling the trigger, and I saw a few issues that fell along those lines. Installation issues seemed to be the problem almost every time.
I think the problems were with the old units and believe me they were not installation issues.

#8,778 ·
Removed and cleaned this......
which made the bike look like this so gave it a clean while under there.....
Nice to see someone properly cleaning places that only you will ever know are clean. I'm fitting my rebuilt TTX back on today too.

FYI I don't know what that original shock is worth, but it might be worth more to you as a "placeholder" if you send your TTX out for service. I made one out of bar stock but a real shock would make the bike easier to transport in the interim.

#8,779 ·
Haha, I enjoy the spannering as much as I enjoy riding them so cleaning is just as enjoyable so when people see my ride they appreciate the quality.
I take it you are equally as anal about cleaning then? haha.

This is my personal ride and not a track bike and I only ride around 1200 miles a year so it'll probably never need a service in my time of ownership :) . The shock was a zero mile item purchased from an engineering company on ebay so I really struck lucky.
I also like to put my bikes back to stock when I move on to something else, so I'll keep it to go back on the bike anyway but thanks for the suggestion.

#8,787 ·
Just an FYI....make sure you have it tightened and installed properly especially the shift rod connecting to the QS. This past Fall @BarberMotorsportsPark mine was intermittently cutting spark without me putting any pressure on the shift lever or clutch. As I rolled on the throttle it would cut out (seemed like it was stuttering). Happened on a few curves on that track and was a little scary. Once I completely disconnected it I had no issues. Haven't sorted it out yet but just something to be aware if those symptoms happen to you. :thumbsup:

#8,795 ·
i do'nt know if i used this thread before, but i'm going to now more as a service log entry

so it's winter here, i figured i'd check the valves and assume they need adjustment

it was frustrating measuring the clearances as i'd have to bend my feeler gauges a rude degree. but i did it anyway

so my valves all seem to be in spec which is also suspicious for a 30,000 mile bike. i'm guessing the previous owner adjusted valves sometime before 14,000 miles... otherwise i'm completely doing the measurements wrong..

this is what i got:
exhaust 1-2-3
(0.28mm)(0.28) - (0.28)(0.30) - (0.28)(0.28)

intake
(0.10mm)(0.10) - (0.13)(0.15) - (0.13)(0.15)

i'm expecting gaps to widen with more miles, right??

while i had it exposed, i looked at the cam chain. is there evidence in these pics of case damage from the chain?

i don't think the tensioner or the guides are bad.. i do'nt think i hear any terrible chain slapping...

so i buttoned that back up. then i figured i'd replace that cracked coolant reservoir tank with one that i got from a member here months ago. that was... not fun but not too hard

and since the fairings were still off, i figured i'd finally remove the EXUP motor. well unbolting the motor was the easy part, but the cable ends were seized by rust on the valve cam. so i cut the cables there. the cable adjuster nuts were also so rusted that they're still on there. i just slid the cables out with the motor.

so now i have the motor's wires hanging around along another wire and connector that goes to where?!

well with the EXUP officially gone, i figured i should do the TuneECU deal, clear the codes and disable the EXUP. ok yeah that was easy, but i want it to run just right, i should reset the TPS... and that led into a couple hours of research and action. so the TPS voltage wasn't just right being above 0.62 volts. so how the hell do i adjust that? well, take the tank back off, take off the airbox again (oh yeah, i replaced the foam on the airbox "snorkel" too), but leave the ECU plugged all the while making sex between the headlight fuse and the fuse box (ya know, in and out, a lot)... mess with the step-up motor and bang on the TPS itself a little bit (but not in that order) so as not to have to remove the throttle bodies. to make it even more confusing, it seems like there's a miscommunication between the Diagnostics page and the Test page of TuneECU. while Diagnostic page is showing the TPS voltage at 0.65-0.67v, i can get the Test page after Adjusting ISCV to reach 0.60v and 0.72v when it asks for it by again, banging on the TPS this way and that and by adjusting the ISCV nut and fingering things here and there...

well, finally, and to my great satisfaction, a shitty initial idle smoothed out to TPS indicator going GREEN

i'm glad i didn't bolt everything thing up because i definitely have oil leaking from the valve cover gasket. it doesn't worry me 'cause i know i wasn't careful putting that back on. it's just i do'nt want to do anymore today

the pics are huge. i'm not surprised they're not showing up..

#8,799 ·
I finally got around to tackling my spare tank fix I've been putting off for a long time now. Those damn tank sliders are a real treat to get off, other than that its an easy job, just time consuming. As it sits now the hole is all filled in with bondo and ready for sanding. I should be able to finish it up next weekend and maybe paint, then I start the next one on the list. It sure is nice to have the "riding juice" flowing threw my veins again, I'm so ready for a long and dry track season!

Attachments

#8,800 ·
Went for a ride around the Winkleman loop in AZ on Sunday. Checked the AFR trims today and I can already tell that I'm going to spend too much time fiddling with the autotune settings (so many numbers to finagle when you can map by gear). The thing is seriously cool.

Also had a part delivered while I was working and had a nice chat with the delivery guy about tuning.

#8,804 ·
What I did to my 675 today... I sniffed the tyres... I'm going to the track tomorrow, so I'm starting to mentally prepare.
But... oooh the way the garage smells with lightly used race tyres lying in it. Smells like the pit lane after a good session. AWEEE YEAH!
Walked into the garage to find coolant under the bike
*snip*
Looks like it's leaking from the hoses which haven't been touched
*snip*
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same leak... It was leaking between the rubber and metal pipe. Mine was solved by tightening the clamp.

#8,808 ·
After a year of sitting due to the most unfortunate stator cover mishap, I got it welded by a professional in Berkeley who specializes in Alfa Romeo race cars. Dropped it off to him and got a call 3 days later - your bike is ready. I almost cried. Picked it up and brought it back.

Today I went shopping for oil and coolant and picked up a the 3 stator screws that hold the stator to the cover from the dealership.

If all goes as planned, I should be able to start it up next weekend once I install the stator, tank, and add fluids.

Fingers crossed.

#8,810 ·
Swapped front sprockets on 1/27 in preparation for a champ day with YCRS on 1/28. Good lord, that is the hardest job I've had to do on the bike yet. Took an hour to get the bastard of a nut off the front sprocket. Tech or mechanic must have just popped it on with an airgun without actually checking torque, because there's no way in hell it was on there with just 85 nm. I had to blast it with a heat gun repeatedly, spray it with penetrant, and rock on it with a 2.5 foot breaker bar. I used the screwdriver through the chain wrapped around the rear axle and was worried that I was going to break something on the chain (snapped about 10 zip ties before I moved to some heavy shoe laces). Now that I've done it, I'll be doing it myself from here on out.

Took her to my local track on 1/28 and had a blast. Rode passenger on a motorcycle for the first time with Kyle Wyman on an fz1. That was maybe the most scary experience I've had on a bike, but it was really informative about how much more I have to learn. If you have a daytona and you haven't taken it to the track, then you're missing out on the best experience on the bike.

#8,811 ·
Tech or mechanic must have just popped it on with an airgun without actually checking torque, because there's no way in hell it was on there with just 85 nm.
That nut in particular sees a lot of grime and subsequently corrosion. It could very well have been properly torqued originally but they freeze up pretty quickly. I try to keep the threads lubed before it's too late.

#8,814 ·
Did my first oil change ever! Never done it on any vehicle before. Now she's got some Motul 300v in her and she seems to like it a lot. The downshifts have a nice click that I wasn't hearing before. Cool.

Also installed my engine covers and frame sliders. The frame sliders work great. I've never worked on a bike before so learning to take the fairings off was a lot harder than it needed to be. I also couldn't get one of the engine bolts torqued to spec which is a little concerning. It was supposed to be 48nm but because of the stupid locknut in the back of the bolt (which I could barely reach and had to hit up 3 hardware stores to find the right wrench which could bend at that angle) I just couldn't get it tigher than about 37nm or so. It feels sturdy for now, but maybe I'll need to find an extra pair of hands to help hold that locknut in place because I just couldn't be trying to hold the torque in both hands like that. Strangely, that wasn't an issue on the right side.

Anyway, it was a hell of a lot of work for a newbie like me, I didn't expect to spend my whole day doing it and I'm sore as hell today. Makes me feel like I need to exercise more haha! But I am pretty proud to know that I did my own work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.