Triumph 675 Forums banner

675 track bike

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  kcfcycle 
#1 ·
where are all my track people at. I recently picked up an 08 675 w/12 k miles. Clean titled track bike. I have zero intention of riding it on the street. That being said, I want to see what everyone has or recommends as far as track pets and pieces. I'll list what it has below as well as some of my wants/needs for it.

2008 675
Two brothers slip on, exup valve removed
SAI removed
Ohlins front forks
Penske 8983 rear shock
Wood craft rear sets
Vortex clip ons
Scott's steering damper
R6 front brake caliper conversion
Stainless brake lines
Brembo RCS 19 master cylinder
Radial brake lever adjuster
Full track plastics
Puig double bubble windscreen
Starlane powerdhift quickshifter
MWR airfilter
Wood craft stator/clutch covers
... I think that's it ...

What do you guys with track bikes recommend. I want to do/need the following...

Street triple wire harness (get rid of the hanging fuses)
New windscreen (current one has a small crack)
Oil cooler ? (this is new to me and just read about it)
New tank (current one has some small showing spots on the inside of the tank)
Tank pads
New bar ends (one side small road rash)
Would like a fuel management system.
Spare wheels
And a stock pile of extra/spare parts.

I've been keeping an eye out in the market place but haven't come across any of whatnim looking for yet. Hopefully the experienced guys can shed some light on brands and any other things I'm overlooking.

Also, if you have any of this stuff and you're looking to get rid of it, contact me

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Are you going with racing plastics? You can delete the front intake flap as well.

The Pre-13 models are limited somewhat with the mechanical throttle, but there are kits from Bazzaz and RapidBike that offer TC, ABS, and of course fuel.

The stock oil cooler is known for failure, UKRS makes a good replacement.

If your bike has a carbon canister system you'll want to delete that as well. It's a box down by the dogbone that probably doesn't even do anything anymore on most bikes from before 2010, it's essentially an emissions control system and tank breather system.

RG makes carbon fibre tank protectors. There are also tank covers, Ricambi-Weiss makes a good one that's fibreglass but is reinforced with carbon kevlar. If it's spotting on the inside just stop using ethanol fuel. If it's bad de-rust and re-seal it, but a few spots won't hurt you.

#8 ·
Are you going with racing plastics? You can delete the front intake flap as well.

The stock oil cooler is known for failure, UKRS makes a good replacement.

If your bike has a carbon canister system you'll want to delete that as well. It's a box down by the dogbone that probably doesn't even do anything anymore on most bikes from before 2010, it's essentially an emissions control system and tank breather system.

RG makes carbon fibre tank protectors. There are also tank covers, Ricambi-Weiss makes a good one that's fibreglass but is reinforced with carbon kevlar. If it's spotting on the inside just stop using ethanol fuel. If it's bad de-rust and re-seal it, but a few spots won't hurt you.
Thanks for the reply. The intake flapper and carbon canister are all deleted already, this bike literally came complete by someone who knew what they were doing.

As for the tank, its very small spotting on the inside and this winter i may just de-rust and re-seal like you said. seems to be my best bet at this point and time.

#3 ·
Pretty good list you have. Cross out Ohlins forks. Total waste of time and money. Get cartridges instead. *edit - are you saying it already has Ohlins forks, or you intend to get them?

You don't need new bar ends if you're getting aftermarket clip-ons.

You can also cross out the fuel management system. TuneECU is free and your ECU is much more reliable than a piggyback module.

Yes, you need an aftermarket oil cooler. You also need a manual cam chain tensioner. APE Racing makes one and I've had one on my last 3 Daytonas. There is also an official Triumph race part, but I don't think they're available anymore and the APE is every bit as good.

What's your pace? If you're in advanced group at track days, you will also NEED Attack triple clamps. Unless you want to tuck your front out of the blue, they are necessary to give you adequate trail. Some guys go with a #4 insert for more stability and a slightly slower turn-in, I and a few others went with a #2 for faster turn-in.

#12 ·
well funny story, the guy I brought the bike from was my same size and weight and he is and advanced/expert level rider, so the suspension is professionally tuned already. Ive done 3 track days on it already and it feels amazing. Ive never had upgraded suspension before and its a night and day difference. The guy I got this bike from has another 675 (I basically got his spare bike) that had the full exhaust and a few other small differences. I like to think i got the bike for a steal considering everything that came with it.

I was looking into finding a tune from someone else because if i open the throttle too much too fast, I get a slight hesitation. Ive learned to roll on smoother which eliminates the problem, but id still like to smooth it out. I think the MWR filter has something to do with it lol

I completely tore the bike apart when I first got it home. literally pulled everything off and left it as a motor and frame. cleaned, replaced, repaired, lubricated, aligned, polished EVERYTHING. So when i had it down to a rolling chassis, I took it to the Triumph dealer and had them check the valves and adjust the cam chain. Got a printed receipt and saved myself about 800 bucks. So now I know the motor should be bullet proof.

Im trying to just dot all my I's and cross all my T's. I think im at a point were out things are actually just WANTS instead of needs. Except maybe the oil cooler. I don't wanna be THAT GUY at the track that ruins the day.

#13 · (Edited)
I can also attest to the difference the Attack triples make.

I have two Daytona track bikes, one had the Attacks and the other didn't. Very noticeable difference between the two.

This may not be an upgrade you want to wait until you absolutely need it. The improved front end feeling may actually help you get faster.

I've moved to a BMW S1000rr, sold one of the Daytonas and parted out the nice bits. Still have one that I'm considering converting back to street.

#14 ·
The other thing I didn't see mentioned was a slipper clutch.

I had never ridden with one until earlier this year and that was a huge improvement. I know lots of people say 'the only slipper they need is their left hand' blah blah blah.

There is a reason why the R6 and zx6r had a slipper standard since 2006, it's really nice for the track.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#15 ·
For what it's worth, I still have the stock clamps on my 2008 and have never had an issue with them. Running mid-upper pack advanced group. Still on stock front suspension, rear is an ohlins off of a 675R. No oil cooler, no manual tensioner. Not running quite as fast as I used to on it, but I'm working my way back up. Only have had 1 crash, and that was a slower speed high side from the rear stepping out in rain when running non-rain tires. Not even running full on race tires yet, either.

#16 ·
You are entirely right. Like with any sport talent/experience/skill goes a lot further than having the best equipment around. I know plenty of guys that can destroy me regardless of what bike they are riding.

Like I said - I had one 675 with major upgrades (triples, ohlins f/r, slipper, brembo rcs, dyno'd....), and another with just basic track stuff. I've ridden them both back to back on the same track so have a direct baseline to compare against. I was probably marginally faster on the 'fast' bike, because the bike isn't the limiter it's me and my skill. I do think the slipper has saved me in many occasions where I got too aggressive downshifting into corners, to me it's a safety mod with performance benefits.

Amateurs in every sport get caught up in equipment, when they probably aren't good enough to really notice the difference. But for some people it's also part of the fun of the hobby.

I grew up playing golf competitively and still get out once or twice a year. My friends all have their brand new latest super expensive sticks. I show up with my 15 year old clubs that I haven't touched in 10 months but still shoot a 2 over, when they are all in the high 80's. Thats cause I'm just a better golfer than them, regardless of their equipment the only way they'll beat me is to get better. If I had the latest driver I'd probably get a few more yards off the tee, but it probably wouldn't change my actual score.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.