Triumph 675 Forums banner

06-08 and 09-12 Engine Compatibility

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  littlehat 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought an 07 675 that happens to have one extra hole in the block and a mysteriously missing con rod. I'm looking to swap in a new (to me) engine and can't seem to find an 06-08. If anyone has one in good shape they're willing to part with, please let me know, but I'm curious as to if I could fit a newer engine (09-12) without too much trouble.

So far I have read that the newer engines have a different ecu, clock and more importantly head and exhaust manifold. Will an 07 manifold bolt to an 09+ head? Will an 09+ engine run on an 07 ecu? Could an early head be used in conjunction with an 09+ bottom end? I'm just trying to get this thing back on the road. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
09+ headers are oval-shaped, so you’d need matching headers. Otherwise it’s a pretty easy swap. You could run your 07 ECU but if you got an 09-12 with matching loom, you could take advantage of a higher rev limit and the ability to use a plug-and-play quick shifter.

I can’t think of why you couldn’t mix the head and bottom end, but it’d be much easier to swap out the whole engine.

#5 ·
09+ headers are oval-shaped, so you'd need matching headers. Otherwise it's a pretty easy swap. You could run your 07 ECU but if you got an 09-12 with matching loom, you could take advantage of a higher rev limit and the ability to use a plug-and-play quick shifter.

I can't think of why you couldn't mix the head and bottom end, but it'd be much easier to swap out the whole engine.
Will the 09+ headers mount directly to the current midpipe? And while I know I could swap the harness and ecu to get the full advantage of the newer engine, I would also need the newer speedo, right? At this point I'm just trying to keep costs and scope creep down, I can come back and upgrade later. Would the 07 ecu play nice with the 09+ engine or would it need tuning? Thanks for the help.

#6 ·
Headers and airbox lid for the air temp sensor must be swapped. Other than that I have an 09 engine with 06 airbox lid, 06 kit harness and 09 gauges. Works fine except I have a check engine light that won't clear that says I have the wrong gauge compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Headers and airbox lid for the air temp sensor must be swapped. Other than that I have an 09 engine with 06 airbox lid, 06 kit harness and 09 gauges. Works fine except I have a check engine light that won't clear that says I have the wrong gauge compatibility.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Does that mean my current 07 airbox lid will not work? And what ecu are you using?

#12 ·
Well, I decided to tackle it and bought an 09 engine from eBay. i had to swap the stator as the one on the 07 engine seemed to be integrated into the harness instead of plugged in, but that was the only non-obvious difference. I kept the 07 ecu, gauges, harness, throttle body, airbox, etc. It ran fine with the untouched 07 ecu but I did go ahead and copy over a tune from an 09 engine using tuneecu just for peace of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.