Captive Rear Caliper and non front removal - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 Old 07-01-13, 19:20
MadMel
Senior Member
 
MadMel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,852
Thanks: 88
Thanked 58 Times in 47 Posts
So doing that. Thanks TRS!
MadMel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 25 Old 07-01-13, 19:38 Thread Starter
whirlybird
Senior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
whirlybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,153
Thanks: 13
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Triumph Race Support! I will be doing this pretty soon. I am sending you a pm regarding the captive spacers also.


For the front, if you just pivot it all out of the way, is there enough clearance to be able to get the wheel on and off still?

MRA #144

2017 MRA Thunderbike Class Champion

Sponsors:
XL3 Rigging, Rider's Discount, Imperial Sportbikes, Un!nk Printworks

2015 Triumph D675
whirlybird is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 09-22-20, 23:27
mpusch
Member
 
mpusch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Western NY
Posts: 723
Thanks: 59
Thanked 63 Times in 56 Posts
I know this is a necro bump here, but I'll bet this thread gets a fair amount of search hits.

Just followed the guidelines (generally...) from TRS and did my captive rear caliper. I've attached a few pics with my work. Few things that I learned:

1) I used 10-32 machine screws. This is the biggest I would go, and if I did it over again I might use 8-32 to get a smaller head. Then again, being more accurate with your drilling goes a long way!

2) I used 1.25in lengths, after trying several. Might be able to get 1.5in if you cut the threads in the brake deeper, but this worked fine.

3) My placement was a bit off. I had a bit more room on the right than I thought I had. Needed to slightly dremel the head so it didn't interfere with the axle.

4) As mentioned in the instructions, you can't torque these things all the way down. With somewhat tight tolerances of the axle going through everything, it needs a "bit" of play. Remember, these bolts only hold the bracket in place when the wheel is off.

5) I did my best to take my time to line up the holes in the axle blocks to the brake caliper, but was still a tiny bit off. That can equate to stripping threads. A round chainsaw file to the axle block gave me a bit more tolerance.

6) Used cobalt bits and a 3/8 HSS countersink bit for the heads. Fits the machine screw head pretty well.

Not perfect, but will do the job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0921202247_HDR_1600831563952.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	253487   Click image for larger version

Name:	0921202307_HDR_1600831574095.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	253489  

Last edited by mpusch; 09-23-20 at 12:08.
mpusch is offline  
 
post #24 of 25 Old 09-24-20, 08:49
keeena
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 73
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice work mpusch! Yeah, not terribly complex; helps a ton with rear tire changes. Topic also came up in this thread; might be some add'l info there.

Regarding the fit & alignment: you could use a 20mm diameter plug (~50mm long) to align the bracket and block and drill them together as a single unit.
keeena is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 09-24-20, 10:22
mpusch
Member
 
mpusch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Western NY
Posts: 723
Thanks: 59
Thanked 63 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeena View Post
Nice work mpusch! Yeah, not terribly complex; helps a ton with rear tire changes. Topic also came up in this thread; might be some add'l info there.

Regarding the fit & alignment: you could use a 20mm diameter plug (~50mm long) to align the bracket and block and drill them together as a single unit.
Hmm, I didn't see that thread, thanks.

Good idea, would have helped for the final drilling I think. I ended up just pulling the axle out and putting it in from the other side. The issue is that there is a bit of play and I couldn't really get clamps to fit in right, so I did my best to hold it firm. After drilling the holes through the axle blocks, I just pushed a bit further with the bit to create a reference point on the bracket.
mpusch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome