Strange Electrical/Gear Position Sensor Issue - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-20, 06:25 Thread Starter
bill_yyy

Strange Electrical/Gear Position Sensor Issue

Hey everyone, I've been having an ongoing electrical issue with my 2015 Daytona.

It seems to have something to do with the gear position sensor, which I replaced, it worked fine for about a month or so and it's now giving me the same problem it had before, where the bike won't run and it shows on the dash that it's in neutral no matter what gear it's in.

Occasionally it will show the correct gear and run but it will pretty quickly fail again.
This time I actually got a CEL and 2 error codes

P1698 5V sensor supply circuit malfunction
P0705 Gear position sensor circuit malfunction

Has anyone had a similar issue before?

The only issues I can seem to find with gear position sensors is that they sometimes display the incorrect gear but no one seems to have issues with the bike running.

I've done a quick check of the electrics and didn't find anything obvious, no pinched sections on the harness, charging system is outputting the correct voltage, connections are all good and clean.
I have a Bazzaz Z-Fi installed which I've also swapped out the controller for a spare and checked the harness. So my next step will be to run the disconnect the GPS from it and connect it directly to the bike's harness, then remove the Z-Fi completely if the issue persists.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-20, 04:39
sazbatz

hi there. did you ever work this one out?
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-20, 22:32 Thread Starter
bill_yyy
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Not yet.

I couldn't seem to find any shorts with the multimeter according to the service manual tests and couldn't see any obvious pinch points when inspecting the harness.

I'm splitting what time I do have between fixing my car and this so I haven't had a chance to completely pull the Daytona apart yet.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-20, 06:18 Thread Starter
bill_yyy

Ok well this seems to have some how gotten worse.
A few weeks ago I got some pin probes for my multimeter so I could see if I could figure out what the problem is, all the numbers I got were strange so I figured I've got no idea what I'm doing, so I just left it and reconnected everything.

Now the bike won't start at all, tried disconnecting the gear position sensor which worked previously and nothing, checked all connections battery is charged.

It just cranks and won't fire, now I'm suspecting it might have a problem with the crank position sensor too. It's not giving me any error codes now.

I've got an automotive electrician/mechanic coming to look at it next week.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-20, 08:48 Thread Starter
bill_yyy

I think I just found the problem by accident.
The most simple thing that seemed to be fine each time I checked.
I just noticed now that it wasn't starting my Bazzaz zfi wasn't lighting up.
I touched the controller and it lit up, so I checked the splice connection and it's not a good connection.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the only problem but when the connection is broken the gear position shows N on the dash and bike won't run.
It doesn't explain the check engine lights though.

I'm still going to bet the auto electrician to come since he's a friend of mine and I'll get him to do all the multimeter tests and put a make a better power connection.

Removing the Bazzaz was going to be my next troubleshooting step.

Last edited by bill_yyy; 07-09-20 at 09:40.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-20, 08:55
Renboy

Garage
Different bike, but....
On Monday at the track my friend's bike died while on track. Would crank but not start. I pulled his power commander out, replaced a fuse and the bike started instantly. The PC was not lighting up, and caused the fuse to blow. Eliminate the bazzaz, right now it's a variable.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-09-20, 09:49 Thread Starter
bill_yyy

It was going to be my next step but I think I found the problem. Looks like it's just the stupid scotchlok connector that comes with the Bazzaz to tap into the power from the brake light, it has over time and with vibrations broken through some of the wire strands and it's not making a good connection anymore.

I just replicated the issue for the first time. I started the bike and tapped the connection and the bike cut out and showed N on the gear position reading and wouldn't show the correct gear until the connection was made again.

I think I'll just cut the wire and crimp some bullet connectors on and see how it goes till my mate comes to look at it next week.

Just for peace of mind since I did get a few error codes before, I'll get him to do all the 5v power and sensor tests just to make sure all the sensors are fine and no short circuits anywhere.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-15-20, 07:31 Thread Starter
bill_yyy

All up and running, got a bullet connector crimped on and had the 5v circuit checked and no shorts :)
I also flashed the Arrow full system map, hopefully will take it out for a ride on the weekend if the weather improves.

Anyway, here's what the Scotchlok connector left me with. First and last time I'll be using one.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-24-20, 08:37
kingsizexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_yyy View Post
I think I just found the problem by accident.
The most simple thing that seemed to be fine each time I checked.
I just noticed now that it wasn't starting my Bazzaz zfi wasn't lighting up.
I touched the controller and it lit up, so I checked the splice connection and it's not a good connection.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the only problem but when the connection is broken the gear position shows N on the dash and bike won't run.
It doesn't explain the check engine lights though.

I'm still going to bet the auto electrician to come since he's a friend of mine and I'll get him to do all the multimeter tests and put a make a better power connection.

Removing the Bazzaz was going to be my next troubleshooting step.
I've had the same issue not so long time ago. There was something with my electricity bills that I couldn't figure out for long time. I was using very little energy but getting huge bills and my operators didn't know what was the problem. My wife got tired of this and somehow came across residential electricians Charleston that have accepted to give a look at our house. Comes out there were some problems since we built the house, so the problem was the builder's related. Well, since then, we always pay more attention lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement