Maintanance Alert - Please Read - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #31 of 57 Old 04-21-07, 22:46
slapead

thanks for the warning guys the bolts on mine were finger tight :shock: gave em a drop of locktite when tightened
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 04-30-07, 18:17
AtomicWedgie

Wow thanks Just Bob. You might have just saved my life! I am about to go on a 3500km ride leaving tomorrow and the right bolt was not finger tight but loose and on its way out.

once again thanks :2tu
post #33 of 57 Old 05-16-07, 18:34
macpilot

Just got back from South Bay Triumph (Lomita, CA) for my first service.

Told the guy to check that bolt. He attitude was basically that he had never heard of this issue, the other mechanic said he never heard of it, and that Triumph takes things very seriously and if it was a known issue they would have released a service bulletin already. And of course he said I should not believe anything on a website forum. OK. I replied I had seen photographs of the offending bolt on other owner's new bikes. He shrugged.

After the service (2 hours, basically an oil change and he programmed/mapped the engine for my Two Brothers pipe) he told me he found the bolts to be very tight. They charged $294 for this service. The "mapping" cost $42.

He also told me he could not hear the ticking noise from the front brakes that can be clearly be heard by anyone with decent hearing.

These guys are supposed to be the premier Triumph dealer in the nation. Hmmm. What do you guys think?

2006 Suzuki M109R (sold), 2007 675 graphite (sold),
2010 675 SE (sold)

post #34 of 57 Old 05-16-07, 22:36 Thread Starter
Just Bob
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpilot
Just got back from South Bay Triumph (Lomita, CA) for my first service.

Told the guy to check that bolt. He attitude was basically that he had never heard of this issue, the other mechanic said he never heard of it, and that Triumph takes things very seriously and if it was a known issue they would have released a service bulletin already. And of course he said I should not believe anything on a website forum. OK. I replied I had seen photographs of the offending bolt on other owner's new bikes. He shrugged.

After the service (2 hours, basically an oil change and he programmed/mapped the engine for my Two Brothers pipe) he told me he found the bolts to be very tight. They charged $294 for this service. The "mapping" cost $42.

He also told me he could not hear the ticking noise from the front brakes that can be clearly be heard by anyone with decent hearing.

These guys are supposed to be the premier Triumph dealer in the nation. Hmmm. What do you guys think?
Full retail for Triumph branded oil, filter and crush washer is $82. This implies your shop is charging about $100 hr. for labor. Crazy as it sounds, that's not too far off the mark. The mapping takes 1/4 hr tops, but they need to recoup the $1500 tool cost, so...

Your ticking brakes...? Are you maybe just hearing the disc shifting on the floating attachment buttons when you first apply them? If not, and its continuous, put the front on a stand and rotate the wheels slowly to inspect the rotors for any out-of-true condition. Try to replicate the noise. If no luck, pull the calipers and clean and inspect them. There is a silver metal plate visible at the back caliper openings that holds the pads through spring tension. If that is missing or bent it would allow a pad to wobble and make noise (as mine do, because I run aftermarket pads w/out the retainer to increase cooling).

Caveat; I am NOT a trained mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

As far as that dealer being the Premier... Maybe they sell more. I'm reluctant to say anything untoward about anyone I don't know, but I sure get tired of the shopworn advertising claims; "biggest, best, number one", ad nauseum.

As far as Triumph not issuing any service bulletins... There are a few techs that read this forum and I'm sure they've heard. Maybe its tied up in legal? :roll:

Oh, and since I'm rambling on here - I run a Leo Vince can and tried the TOR tune. It made more power but I got a bad closed throttle snatch that made corner entry horrible so I went back to the stock tune. Just my experience.

post #35 of 57 Old 06-13-07, 12:03
macpilot

Thanks for the info Bob!

2006 Suzuki M109R (sold), 2007 675 graphite (sold),
2010 675 SE (sold)
post #36 of 57 Old 06-15-07, 10:11
zore

My dealer does the mapping for free but I still bought a tuneboy.

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." - Hunter S. Thompson
post #37 of 57 Old 06-15-07, 20:40
AVSix6one

I have an '07 and my bolts are hex style and very tight. Thanks for the info... I will make them check those at my 500 mi. My brakes also make a ticking sound, so I called the dealer and the service manager told me exactly the same thing as what bob described. Mine only does it at initial application when braking light to moderate and then goes away.
post #38 of 57 Old 08-05-07, 13:27
scorched675

Wouldn't blue Loctite be a better choice? You need lots of heat to break red Loctite free. You may have a melt down when you finally decide to get rid of the stock damper!!
post #39 of 57 Old 08-05-07, 13:50 Thread Starter
Just Bob
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched675
Wouldn't blue Loctite be a better choice? You need lots of heat to break red Loctite free. You may have a melt down when you finally decide to get rid of the stock damper!!
+1

post #40 of 57 Old 12-04-07, 01:57
skip4609

SAME BOLTS?

on my "07 daytona the damper bracket bolts are not the same! My bike is fitted with shorter "torque head" bolts and they are black in color. Maybe triump fixed the problem? :?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement