Jonno007

Thanks mate. Sometimes too much information confuses me

I have a small brain :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 87 Old 09-22-14, 02:00
superlight
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner

I'm getting back into the habit of checking the forum like I used to - and hopefully contributing when I can.

I never knew about this particular issue and am glad I read the entire post. I've not had any issues with my '06 filled to its' "max" mark for nearly 19,000 miles but feel confident I can add nearly one additional quart. Thanks to all for the info.

And boy, do I recognize some fellow, long-time forum members in this post! Brings back a ton of memories.

post #83 of 87 Old 10-19-14, 06:18
Wizard1144

Thanks for the info!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #84 of 87 Old 07-24-19, 19:42
mister_project

Garage
Striple Too?

I recently picked up a 2009 Street Triple, VIN 381053. I cannot confidently determine which oil level I should be using. Can you please help me confirm whether or not I should be using the new or old fill level?
post #85 of 87 Old 07-24-19, 20:14 Thread Starter
MacBandit
Super Moderator
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
To be clear the actual volume of oil is the same regardless of year and the level is the same as well. The only thing that changed was the dip stick length. You need to identify your dipstick against the photo so you know where the proper full mark is.
post #86 of 87 Old 04-17-20, 06:52
tromaras95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I know we all discussed this deeply back in the Spring but I had a chance to photograph the old and new dipstick side by side today and measure them. Also since then I've gotten to read the official Triumph bulletin detailing the release of the updated dipstick. So in order to put everything in one place for easy reference I'm creating this new thread. So here goes.

For those that are uninformed on this topic Triumph starting with the 09 Daytonas shortened the oil dipstick and therefore increasing the oil volume of the bike. There was a great deal of conjecture and assumptions made surrounding this change with many people believing that Triumph had altered the oil pan or internals of the bike in order to increase the oil capacity. The truth is far simpler. There were no internal changes and the oil pan is the same they simply shortened the oil dipstick in order to increase the oil volume. Triumph along with this change released bulletin detailing all this and simply stated that the oil dipstick is retrofittable and the oil level can be increased on all the older 675s but that there was no recommendation to do so.

I have been carefully following any mention of engine failures that I can find on the internet and have personally come to the conclusion that this should be made a mandatory change. It's not that it will affect 99% of the riders but for that 1% that rides track days does wheelies and in general pushes their bike to the limit it reduces the chances they are taking on incurring some form of engine damage from oil starvation. Even of those 1% there is no guarantee that doing any of the things mentioned could cause any damage at all but there is some chance so for that alone I think it's good protection at very little cost to the rider.

Of note Triumph implements production changes at any time of production and notes the changeover by vin number. So just because your bike is an '09 does not mean you have received the change. You will have to visually inspect the dip stick to be sure of what one your bike has.

The measurement differences are as follows as measured from the top sealing surface of the dip stick down to the level marks.

_____________Overall length
Old dip stick____90mm(3.54")
New dip stick___77mm(3.03")

Oil level marks____Full mark________Low mark
Old dip stick_______59mm(2.32")____78mm(3.07")
New dip stick______43mm(1.69")____62mm(2.44")

As you can see from the measurements and the image the high mark on the old dipstick is actually within a few mm of the low level of the old dip stick and the top of the hatch marks on the old dipstick is actually very close to the full mark on the new dip stick. I have been running my own bike at the top of the hatch marks and on street or track I have had no issues with this (as to be expected as per Triumphs own information). It is our own shop policy to either replace the old dip stick with the new one or to fill the bike to the fuller level on the old dip stick. We feel this is a service to our customers despite the information from Triumph saying it is unnecessary.
Sorry for bringing back the old thread, all these ara applied in first gen models [06-09] ? Its not stayted properly? Thx in advance!
post #87 of 87 Old 04-17-20, 08:56 Thread Starter
MacBandit
Super Moderator
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
As I stated I. The second paragraph starting with the 09 models they went to the shorter dipstick. All 675s prior had the longer one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement