Bike not starting - Triumph675.Net Forums
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-19, 01:42 Thread Starter
DayT675
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike not starting

Okay so I just bought a 2007 Daytona 675 and sorry in advance for this post being lengthy but I'd like to give you guys all the details for the best help. The bike has 40k miles. Yes I know it's a lot. But here is my issue. I bought the bike today and road it 2 hours towards my house, had no signs of anything wrong what so ever. ( I did inspect the bike before I bought it and say no red flags) well once I got into town I decided to take a break I turn the bike off and rest in the shade for a little. I go to start the bike and nothing happens... The guages sweep and lights turn on I here the fuel pump prime and when I go to start it, it does one click and then nothing. Luckily I was on a hill and bumped started my bike to a cycle gear and bought a new battery. Put the batter in and it starts! Then it dies randomly while I was stopped in neutral. After that I bumped started it again and road it for 5 mins then it dies again in neutral at a light. I ended having to pay for a tow. I tried jumping the bike and nothing happens. Does anyone have my advice for what to do next?? Thank you
DayT675 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-01-19, 07:47
Chirp
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 364
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
First thing is check the battery terminal connections -- pull them off and clean them (my first thought with the gauges sweeping was a loose connection). Then the connections to the starter and the main ground-- you'll need a service manual to find them. After that, you're looking at difficult electrical diagnosis. I'd begin by wiggling the wires leading to the ignition switch barrel -- if it turns off and on it could be the barrel or the power feed to the switch -- I've seen or heard of both. Actually, go straight from the battery to the barrel as it's easier to check. Good luck.

And 40k is not a lot for the motor; it's the chassis that needs looking after at this mileage.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
Chirp is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-19, 10:32
Phicurious86
Member
 
Phicurious86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 580
Thanks: 31
Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Garage
Could be the rectifier not charging the battery. There's a great diagnostic thread for rectifier issues on this site. Can't remember the name, but it was something like "definitive charging". If you search "rectifier problems" you'll probably find it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Phicurious86 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Phicurious86 For This Useful Post:
DayT675 (08-01-19)
 
post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-19, 10:48
beau
Junior Member
 
beau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 54
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
Sorry to hear about your problems, sounds frustrating, especially after just buying the bike. Phicurious mentioned the regulator/rectifier, a part that is notorious for failing on these bikes. Did you ever smell anything burning while riding? I would take the tank off and inspect the R/R (between tank and rear shock) and the associated wires. Lots of good info on this site about these types of issues...

Good luck!
beau is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to beau For This Useful Post:
DayT675 (08-01-19)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-19, 14:40 Thread Starter
DayT675
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems, sounds frustrating, especially after just buying the bike. Phicurious mentioned the regulator/rectifier, a part that is notorious for failing on these bikes. Did you ever smell anything burning while riding? I would take the tank off and inspect the R/R (between tank and rear shock) and the associated wires. Lots of good info on this site about these types of issues...

Good luck!
Luckily I did not smell anything burning on the ride back, but I will be taking the tank off and looking into that, I just finished reading for post about the R/R going bad and everything and I am hoping that if thast the case, then its the worst case scenario. Ill update what I find tonight. Thanks!
DayT675 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-19, 14:43 Thread Starter
DayT675
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
First thing is check the battery terminal connections -- pull them off and clean them (my first thought with the gauges sweeping was a loose connection). Then the connections to the starter and the main ground-- you'll need a service manual to find them. After that, you're looking at difficult electrical diagnosis. I'd begin by wiggling the wires leading to the ignition switch barrel -- if it turns off and on it could be the barrel or the power feed to the switch -- I've seen or heard of both. Actually, go straight from the battery to the barrel as it's easier to check. Good luck.

And 40k is not a lot for the motor; it's the chassis that needs looking after at this mileage.
Ya im happy the motor ran very wheel and i didn't have any problems with it, once I get it home ill take everything apart and start testing it all. would be nice if its a bad ground cuz I could do that easily. But after reading into how bad the R/Rs are for our bikes im thinking about just doing the replacement for that regardless.
DayT675 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-19, 20:07
MadMel
Senior Member
 
MadMel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,852
Thanks: 88
Thanked 58 Times in 47 Posts
First thing I'd check is the battery voltage. If it's low, obviously it isn't getting charged, so something upstream of the battery, like the stator / regulator rectifier / a connection. If the voltage is good, it's somewhere downstream of the battery. If you can get it running, see if the voltage increases while running, telling you that it is charging.

The ground connection to the frame is under the tank in front of the shock, pretty easy to check that it hasn't come loose.
MadMel is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-19, 01:27 Thread Starter
DayT675
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
First thing I'd check is the battery voltage. If it's low, obviously it isn't getting charged, so something upstream of the battery, like the stator / regulator rectifier / a connection. If the voltage is good, it's somewhere downstream of the battery. If you can get it running, see if the voltage increases while running, telling you that it is charging.

The ground connection to the frame is under the tank in front of the shock, pretty easy to check that it hasn't come loose.
So this so point I'm at, which is oddly enough doing what you suggested. The bike actually started today but I didn't get a chance to test it or anything. I'm thinking the regulator and stator could be on its way out. I'm ruling out the battery at this point. Only thing I'm stuck on is finding what correct regulator to use I read the thread about the upgrade like three times but I'll figure it out. Really appreciate the help!
DayT675 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-19, 08:50
Chirp
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 364
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Never rule out the battery. If it fired up on the starter, you could have a broken plate in the battery that sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't. I would not have thought a bad R/R would prevent jump starting but if it can someone please correct me.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
Chirp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome