2010 striple race conversion - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 07-21-19, 18:50 Thread Starter
riversbikes

2010 striple race conversion

Hey all, considering turning my 2010 street triple (standard) into a race bike. I did have it out on the track last year and it was a blast. My Ducati racebike project is now looking too "nice" to throw down the track... the ST3 would be fun, the class has more riders than what the Ducati would race in its category, and I was thinking I'd turn it into a winter project with my students (I'm the principal of an elementary school up in Canada, with access to the local High School power mechanics shop). I've built 2 cafe racers with the kids that we then auctioned off. This would be a bit selfish as it's my bike, but the kids would still have fun and learn a lot (as would I).

As it stands, the bike has 32,000 kms on it and runs like a peach. Should do a valve check before next season...
Has driven rearsets (I run reverse shift, and have since I started racing 20 years ago)
I have an arrow header and some link pipes to create a custom exhaust, much lighter than stock. There is a Triumph dealer in my province again now, so I'd start there with the Arrow lowboy tune.

CBR 600RR rear shock. This is so much better than stock and I feel passable as a race shock.

What I'd like to add:

Race bodywork -- there is a place in the UK that will ship me a triumph cup set -- upper with intake and clock mount, bellypan, and seat... for $775 CAD
Question: will a Daytona superbike seat fit an ST3 rear subframe? This would save me a bit of cash from buying from the UK and shipping isn't cheap of course.

Adjustable forks -- from an ST3R or a Daytona
Question: will 2012 or 2015 Daytona forks fit in my triples, or should I get 2011 Daytona forks or older?

Most forks on ebay come without calipers, so I'll use R6 calipers and spacers as I've used those on a lot of my twins cup bikes (and I have the caliper rebuild tool)

I'd need to factor in some other parts, but having raced for so long I've got an R6 master kicking around, and a pile of stainless brake hoses I could use. The bike itself is just so light compared to the other bikes I've had I feel that with some seat time I could surprise a few 600s, and when it rains, the bars might be a significant advantage.
Might even involve the arts teacher and see if kids want to design the paint scheme for it...

The mechanical side doesn't concern me at all -- just wanting to be sure I have my information correct before I start spending money. Can someone talk me in or out of this idea? Remember, it's for the kids....

I might be able to recoup some cash as it also has a Corbin seat (incredibly comfortable) and some oem parts that are still in good shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-27-19, 10:07 Thread Starter
riversbikes
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Bit of an update, I've sourced a set of street triple race bodywork in the UK. I actually got it for 100 pounds, with that money going to a Cancer Charity over there. It's on it's way to me here... based on the pictures it will need a bit of work refinishing it, but it's all there -- upper nose fairing with ram air intake, seat and tail fairing, and the all important race bellypan. I might do some of the prep work myself (I need to figure out the best way to deal with gelcoat "crazing", as if it involves autobody chemicals or products like bondo, I am a bit cautious about kids inhaling the dust, despite the proper PPP (goggles and masks).

I also scored a set of later model Daytona Forks, which I've been assured will slide right into the striple triple clamps. Plan is to get some R6 calipers eventually.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-19, 17:48 Thread Starter
riversbikes

Got a set of straight forks from a 2015 Daytona. The usual Ebay gamble but showed up in great shape, and turn out to be the same length as my stock STR forks from 2010 (there was some talk about early Daytona forks being shorter. Included the front axle, and triple clamps (the latter of which I hope I can sell on as these will slide into the STR triples.
As a bonus they are straight, relatively clean, the adjusters aren't mullered, and the seals don't even leak. I'll rebuild as a matter of course, for no other reason than to put in fresh oil...

post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-19, 09:23 Thread Starter
riversbikes

A lot can happen -- went out for a trackday/endurance race last weekend and highsided myself into low earth orbit in the wet. Dislocated my shoulder, and bit is dinged up a bit. Did initially question why I continue to do this as I'm creeping up on 50 years of age and 22 years of going to the track... but I'm determined I'm not ready to quit nor leave the circuit the last time in the back of an ambulance. Steady on!
Race bodywork from the UK has showed up, and I've begun to prep and refinish it (rattle can special, although I'll use a 2K clear over top).
Some nice bits from this forum have arrived as well courtesy of Ian... steering damper and frame sliders.
Snagged a woodcraft keyless ignition system from the 'bay as well, and am investigating Tune ECU options for my exhaust system. Also picked up a set of Daytona cams from this forum as well... good timing to do those as well as set the valves as it is...
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-19, 12:32 Thread Starter
riversbikes

Pro tip -- walk into your local bike shop you've supported for 20 years in a sling, and the owner might give you a bigger discount than usual on replacement parts... worked for me!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-19, 12:56
Plasmablaster

Garage
Thanks for sharing all that- it's kind of different than the usual forum stuff. Keep on doing what you love, the bogeyman is waiting for us all and the fatter our experiences are the better for us when he gets us. I try to keep thinking of this on days when I'm "meh". (And by the way, I've also had a highside on a trackday. Nasty stuff :) )
post #7 of 9 Old 11-09-19, 19:54 Thread Starter
riversbikes

Well, the build is underway -- the first pair of students has started the strip down of the striple to prepare it for the track:

post #8 of 9 Old 11-13-19, 21:09 Thread Starter
riversbikes

More work on the street triple today -- inspected and greased the rear suspension linkage, including using a bit of emery paper and WD40 to polish up the bushings as there was a bit of corrosion on one of them. Got skunked a bit as the shock I bought must be for a later model year triumph 675... close, but does not fit perfectly. The CBR600RR shock went back on, either "for good", or "for now"...

post #9 of 9 Old 11-26-19, 21:01 Thread Starter
riversbikes

Another bike club session after school today -- jobs were to drain the oil and remove the filter, as well as swap out the standard street triple forks with the fancy adjustable legs from the Daytona 675. While we were at it, we'd test fit the calipers and install the spacers to adapt the R6 stoppers to the Daytona forks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riversbikes For This Useful Post:
Gzblack2 (11-27-19), RidersDiscount (11-27-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement