Valve Adjustment Parts Needed? - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #11 of 17 Old 05-07-18, 14:01 Thread Starter
AYoDread
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Yep. You already had T1260309 in your original list, but no quantity. Just verify it’s 6.
yes I have 6 next to quanity, everything else is 1.

Thanks again

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 05-20-18, 08:57 Thread Starter
AYoDread

Things did not go as planned at all. I won't go into all of that.

The bottom right valve cover bolt is being blocked by the frame. How are you guys gaining access to it?

There are screw holes that stick out maybe 1/8 inch from the frame that are for the right said firing bracket. The valve cover bolts are 8mm, I have both a short and long but neither can seat all the way in.

I tried lowering the engine, to no avail only to realize I need another tool. I need a "Frame Adjuster Tool M16" in order to remove the frame alignment bolts that are holding my engine in place.

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."

Last edited by AYoDread; 05-20-18 at 09:03.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-20-18, 10:11
munch

You dont need the tool. That adjuster should move somewhat freely, you can probably use a really fat flathead or a prybar to turn it.

You should be able to get the valve cover out without moving the engine.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-20-18, 11:05
MGFChapin

Garage
You get to that last bolt by cutting an allen key's short end even shorter. No need to drop the engine.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-20-18, 20:32 Thread Starter
AYoDread

Thanks and you both are correct. No special tool required and no need to lower the engine. This weekend did not go as planned, and I am burned out. Basically all I had time to do was pull the fairings, tank, airbox and loosen up all the valve cover bolts.

I have an 87 piece Bluepoint Allen socket set and forgot I have regular Allen wrenches. I have not use them in years! Got the bolt off but thats all I had time to do this weekend. Hopefully tomorrow is a fast but short day at work and I can clock out at noon then start the valve clearance check. I will post tools I used as well as Parts I needed along the way.

Step 1. Plan to work on the bike on a day you have nothing else planned.
Step 2. Plan for things to not go as planned. lol

post #16 of 17 Old 05-26-18, 13:34 Thread Starter
AYoDread

Just need my math double checked before I pick up the shims. To me all my intake valve clearances are in spec and all of my exhaust are out of spec.

Cylinder #1 Cylinder #2 Cylinder # 3
Intake 1 0.152mm 0.152mm 0.127mm
Intake 2 0.178mm 0.178mm 0.127mm
Exhaust 1 0.229mm 0.229mm 0.229mm
Exhaust 2 0.229mm 0.229mm 0.356mm

Intake 1 = Intake Camshaft Lobe #1 starting at the camshaft gear side going in the opposite direction.

Spec = Intake = 0.10mm – 0.20mm
Exhaust = 0.275mm – 0.325mm

Cylinder #1 Cylinder #2 Cylinder #3
Exhaust 1 (238) 2.31mm (240) 2.37mm (232) 2.25mm
Exhaust 2 (232) 2.26mm (232) 2.25mm (230) 2.21mm

In Parenthesis is the number stamped on the shim, the thickness is what I measured with 2 different digital Micrometers (Digital Calipers)

Formula I am using A= (B-C) + D
A= New Shim Thickness
B = Recorded Valve Clearance
C = Specified Valve Clearance
D = Old Shim Thickness

C1E1= Cylinder #1 Exhaust Lobe #1
C3E2 + Cylinder # 2 Exhaust Lobe # 2

Size Shim needed for each valve

C1E1 = 2.239mm
C1E2 = 2.189mm
C2E1 = 2.299mm
C2E2 = 2.179mm
C3E1 = 2.179mm
C3E2 = 2.266mm
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

post #17 of 17 Old 06-02-18, 10:10 Thread Starter
AYoDread

Sorry for the late reply my Internet browser froze when I hit submit, so I lost interest in typing this all out again. Valve Clearance check and adjustment complete, all went well. Rode 136 trouble free miles that day. My new manual camshaft tension was a little too tight, this caused the starter to sound weird. Also I need to readjust my tune on my bike.

Overall and easy job but its VERY TEDIOUS!! The constant checking and rechecking and rotating the engine over and over and over again. If you make adjustments you have to do over again, so you have to keep rechecking your math as well. I’m paying a shop to do this next time lol!

Some things I learned

1. Get a helper for tedious jobs. As fatigue, hunger, boredom set in, you go from “Lets take my time and do this right” to “I just want to be done with this” It’s good to have someone there to catch little things you will miss.

2. It’s a 2 day job. While in there I found other things that needed to be addressed. All small and easy to fix but while the bike was a part it had to be done, which cost more time.

3. Removing the throttle cable bracket made getting the valve cover in and out a lot easier.

4. Even if you have Smog Block off plates, its the bolts that will get caught on the frame when trying to remove the valve cover

5. Lowering the radiator allows the checking of the valve clearances on the exhaust cam so much easier. It’s just 3 bolts, removal is not required

6. 6 year old bike with 17,312 miles its just better to replace the gaskets. It’s not so much the mileage but the amount of heat cycles these gaskets go through that dries them out. I spent $80 in parts, just replace them.

7. TDC on #1 and mark the Timing Chain with a paint marker. Mark 2 links on the camshafts and 1 link on the crankshaft. When reinstalling the camshaft cradle sometimes the cams move. Even with a camshaft locking tool, I would still mark the chain links, things happen.

8. Us a small but strong magnet on the cam buckets and place them dead center so they pick up the shim as well. Shims are the size of Altoid Mints and if they fall into the engine they will put a sizeable hole in your wallet.

9. Buy 5qts of oil. ½Qt was used to lube parts I removed, like the camshaft and I poured some on the lobes after making my adjustments before spinning the motor over, also some oil was poured on the chain. Debris is going to get inside the engine, dust, pieces of your hair, a crumb from what ever you were eating lol! I would let it run for a bit to make sure she was good then let her sit so everything drains to the pan and then change the oil.

10. Make a short video of your bike running and going through some RPM ranges before tearing it down. After this type of repair you are going notice ever single little sound this bike makes and start second guessing yourself. If you got this far and you are reading this, I know what face you are making right now lol!
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

Sponsored Links
Advertisement