Hey all - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Introductions New member? Take a few minutes and introduce yourself.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-29-17, 08:41
Chirp

See if you can find out who did the service work -- and what was done. If the engine has done this many miles, it's likely to do that many more without a problem. The only issues I would worry about with the mileage are these: 1) the shock, if original, is likely done and needs a refresh (if it can be serviced, which it probably can't); 2) fork oil need changing; 3) steering head bearings and shock linkage need service, i.e, inspection and grease; 4) check the wheel bearings although these are likely fine.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 04-29-17, 10:17
GraphiteGold

Spoke to a guy on the west coast not too long ago that has 55k on a 2014 675r tides all year round and said it has never needed anything more than basic maintenance
post #13 of 17 Old 04-29-17, 10:49
Day

Garage
The owner might not even be selling it? "it's now at my buddy's house and he will be selling it for me unless I'm in town,"

Just something to look for, not in the bike but the sellers.

post #14 of 17 Old 04-29-17, 15:31
Bmore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinla View Post
3) He says the tires and oil need to be changed, so I'm wondering if driving it 4 hours home is a safe proposition?
check the oil level. as long as there's oil in there, i'd say ok to ride. but then tires... how old and what's their condition? how are the brake pads looking and what about the brake feel when you pull the brakes? four hours is definitely a way to go, but at least it could be a good test/diagnostics ride

how to mount your fairings while high (very slowly with errors)https://youtu.be/OQbHxDPLkPM
post #15 of 17 Old 04-29-17, 17:01
KD675

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinla View Post
Okay, because that marks 2 people now that have told me I'm crazy to consider riding it home, I think what I would do is rent a moving truck and drive the ~600 miles myself, strap the bike in the back and call it good.

But I'm still not sure if I should do it, because like 2681scooter alluded, 29k miles is quite a lot.
A Uhaul trailer is $14.95 a day to rent. They are low enough to load a 675 without scraping. I have used this method for both my 675's I've purchased.

Just use some decent straps and you'll be fine.

But... I personally would never buy a bike with 29K miles.
Unless it had a binder full of service history.

If I were you, I would spend more and get something else.
If anything sounds fishy to me when bike shopping then I'm out right away.
Usually fishy things are fishy.

You'll need mirrors to pass a state inspection.

Good luck!
post #16 of 17 Old 04-29-17, 17:29 Thread Starter
rinla
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD675 View Post
A Uhaul trailer is $14.95 a day to rent.
But then 0.69/mile. And Fresno is about 280 miles each way. However, Enterprise rents their pickups and cargo vans with 600 miles included, for about $55/day!

Even so, I agree with you, 29k miles sounds like a lot to me. That's why I haven't gone immediately so snap it up. What I'm thinking now is to somehow arrange for the bike to end up at the local Triumph dealer, then I will pay for the checkup ($99.95!), have the dealer call me and if it looks good I'll do the trip. But if that can't happen, I think I'll end up passing -- too much effort for a scary deal (possibly unserviced?).
post #17 of 17 Old 04-29-17, 17:53
Narb

I drove 460 round trip with an enclosed van I rented from Enterprise for $143 (military rate), plus a tank and a half of fuel (~25 gallon tank in the van @ 17 mpg), plus inspection from local dealer for $80 (may have gotten ripped off but was for piece of mind). Buddy let me use a fold-able aluminum ramp (super nice piece). Van was low enough to push the bike up by myself. Strapped the bike down with 5 straps. Two to hold the front wheel to the "step up" that was from the back of the van to the "cockpit" area... this prevented the bike from rolling backwards, one on each side of the triple, and then one at the back wheel for piece of mind. Drove super slow and took corners like an old lady and I made it back with no damage! Put the bike in gear to prevent it from moving around too much. I forgot to do that because I was too excited (Doh!). It can be done.

As for the mileage on the bike itself... I have limited knowledge but I have read that high miles on these bikes doesn't mean much. It all depends on how those miles were accumulated (track, babied, wheelies all day and tomorrow, etc). When I was looking for a 675r, my personal prerequisite was that it MUST have lower than 10k miles. That was my target. I ended up buying a bike with 2500 miles in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170415_182047811_Resize.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	226065  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement