What tyres - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 16 Old 01-29-19, 07:49 Thread Starter
datho

What tyres

I'm new here, so apologise in advance if I'm covering well worn ground. I've done a search, but results seem to be peoples experiences with specific tyres.

What's the general consensus on good tyres for a 675? For everyday 'enthusiastic' use, not for touring or long distance or track days.

Something nicely radiused and soft, but decently grippy in the wet?

I'm all ears. Even if the only reply links me to an faq I should already have read.

Fanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-29-19, 08:58
Chirp

Dunlop Q3+. I've used them on street bikes and my tracj bike. They are great on the street and work well enough for track days -- at least at my pace. Very good wet traction -- again good enough for a wet track day. At 33f, 36r I'd expect 3000 miles from the rear and twice that on the front.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
The Following User Says Thank You to Chirp For This Useful Post:
datho (01-29-19)
post #3 of 16 Old 01-29-19, 09:25
Plasmablaster

Garage
Seems like you want a "do-it-all" tyre.

I've tried the following in my life: Pirelli Diablos, Dunlop SportSmarts, Bridgestone S20 & Metzeler M7RR.

By far the worst was the Dunlop. Atrocious grip when cold, and... took forever to warmup.

The best was (and is) is the Metzeler M7RR. Amazing tyre. Grip, feel, confidence in all conditions, and profile that won't surprise you nor will it make the bike feel heavy. They make me feel safe because they provide decent grip even when cold and in the wet they never betrayed me. I've caught myself riding on damp patches and only afterwards realize it. Made me love them even more. I even did a couple of trackdays on them, had a blast.

I'm wearing my second pair now and unless the industry comes up with some new miraculous tyre technology, I'll be sticking with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plasmablaster For This Useful Post:
datho (01-29-19)

post #4 of 16 Old 01-29-19, 10:23
tottenham12712

Q3s are probably some of the worst tires I have ever tried. They do not talk, at all. They talk when your ass is sliding across the ground. If you are used to how a pirelli feels and talks do not go dunlop.

The Diablo Rosso (not the corsa) is a tire that can hang in the canyons, performs well in the rain, and can deal with colder days. I run these on my DRZ and they are crazy good for a street tire.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-29-19, 22:48
JonyB

I'd go with a set of Road 5's (MICHELIN). I've got these on my Striple and really can't complain.

Life's so much better on a bike!

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL
post #6 of 16 Old 01-29-19, 23:19
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Peruse this forum. Lots of information.

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=117
The Following User Says Thank You to Shamrock For This Useful Post:
datho (01-30-19)
post #7 of 16 Old 01-29-19, 23:22
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham12712 View Post
Q3s are probably some of the worst tires I have ever tried. They do not talk, at all. They talk when your ass is sliding across the ground. If you are used to how a pirelli feels and talks do not go dunlop.

The Diablo Rosso (not the corsa) is a tire that can hang in the canyons, performs well in the rain, and can deal with colder days. I run these on my DRZ and they are crazy good for a street tire.

And I am just the opposite. Dunlop has a harder carcass and "talks" better than any tire I've tried. Michelin is just super numb on the bars, and Pirelli is somewhere in between.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-30-19, 05:26
Hummelvik

Metzeler M7RR work great all year around (including 0C wet asphalt) and leaning to the edge of front and rear tire is no problem either. I have used these for years. They also have quite good longevity and do not seem to lose performance when wearing down.
These tires also have great reviews and won comparisons.

Michelin Power RS is a competitor and from this year there is a RS+ rear tire that has better wet performance.
RS front / RS+ rear will be my next set of tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hummelvik For This Useful Post:
datho (01-30-19)
post #9 of 16 Old 01-30-19, 05:37 Thread Starter
datho
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Thanks all. I too have heard very good things about the Metzelers.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-30-19, 11:24
hzhong456

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham12712 View Post

I feel the same way about Q3s once you start to pick up the pace at the track. In my experience, they go from gripping to sliding without enough feedback for me as I am used to how Pirellis feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement