[Traction Control] GRIPONE LEONE - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 8 Old 10-25-18, 03:33 Thread Starter
stamatisx

Red face [Traction Control] GRIPONE LEONE

I had a close call last time I was at the track so I decided to pull the triger and install traction control on the bike.

I decided to go with GRIPONE LEONE: http://www.gripone.com/products/kit-gripone-leone/
This is the last generation with the previous one being S4 and their main difference is that on the newer one there is no need for speed sensors on the wheels, just the IMU which makes it super easy to install.

Unboxing:

(forgot to take a picture of the wiring)

Finding the right spot:
According to the instructions the IMU has to be installed in the front as center as possible, as horizontal and as vertical as possible to the bike and to be wrapped with foam in order to absorb vibrations. The ECU has to be far away from heat and vibrations as well.

IMU - Candidate position #1

Unfortunately Ram Air is neither flat nor vertical to the ground.

ECU - Candidate position #1
The spot between the battery and the rectifier is away from heat and vibrations but unfortunatelly the wiring is not long enough to reach the IMU at the front of the bike.

IMU and ECU - Candidate position #2

At the left side of the fairing there is a spot that on a road bike holds the rectifier. So the ECU fits there nicely and is far away from vibrations and engine heat. Now for the IMU a nice spot would be on the front of the fairing right next to the Ram Air.
Instead I decided to place it on top of the Ram Air

Due to the Ram Air not having a flat area at its center and a small decline (it has to be as horizontal as possible) I used some glue as padding and 3M dual lock to secure it in place.

Now the next step was to install the indicator and the remote buttons.

The indicator was placed next to the key switch and the remote buttons that let you select the sensitivity of the traction and the antiwheelie control were placed according to the instructions at the clutch lever on the left handle bar. It's simple solution but in my opinion not the very sturdy and wouldn't last long after some track use. Therefore I decided to get a cheap aluminum 3 button switch to replace the Gripone.

This switch has 2 momentary action buttons and one latching action button, but on the front there was only one momentary and one latching action button so I had to swap them in order to have both momentary buttons on the front.

The latching action button went on the back and was used for the Bazzaz ZFI module to switch between maps.

ECU loom installation:
It's really plug & play. Lift the fuel tank, remove the air filter, locate the third ignition coil

and plug those in

The black wire goes to the ground and for that I chose the battery.

That's pretty much it. I didn't have the chance to test it on the track though since I need to do some other maintenance work on the bike first.

Custom Remote buttons test:

On the next video I will demonstrate how to check the ECU functioning properly by pressing the green button (in my case the black one) for 4 seconds. That will simulate the traction control kicking in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I8kzzOp.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	247873   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAHccH8.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	247875   Click image for larger version

Name:	UBWqjKD.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	247877   Click image for larger version

Name:	BzwycgD.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	247879   Click image for larger version

Name:	s4NpnK5.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	247881  

Name:	7v8SRz3.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	247883   Click image for larger version

Name:	lvnR1A8.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	247885   Click image for larger version

Name:	NfrosPL.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	247887   Click image for larger version

Name:	yvjIkbF.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	247889   Click image for larger version

Name:	BaNxawm.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	247891  

Name:	lDhbaWN.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	247893   Click image for larger version

Name:	oTkWS95.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	247895   Click image for larger version

Name:	52Nx3eh.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	247897   Click image for larger version

Name:	zl1Kc1m.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	247899   Click image for larger version

Name:	bjU8efv.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	247901  

Name:	4t7RlrT.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	247903   Click image for larger version

Name:	5ey82pI.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	247905   Click image for larger version

Name:	00t82yy.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	247907  

Last edited by stamatisx; 10-25-18 at 03:38.
The Following User Says Thank You to stamatisx For This Useful Post:
Plasmablaster (10-25-18)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-18, 06:35
Plasmablaster

Garage
Wow thanks for the post. Lots of information and photos.

I watched your close-call video (is it Serres - Greece between K1-K2?). You are very lucky. I watched carefully many times and I noticed that the rear stepped away the moment you closed the throttle, probably to scrub-off some speed to enter K2 correctly. I wasn't there of course but the sound is loud and clear... so I honestly think it was excessive engine braking that caused your scary moment, not excessive throttle. These bikes have way too much engine braking between 6000-7500RPM and I always thought it is imperative to remember never to roll-off the throttle while fully leaned-over for this exact reason. If you need to scrape-off some speed some rear brake without letting off of the throttle would be preferable, or even disengagement of the clutch (with feathered brakes) for something extraordinary.

Now here comes the question: Does GRIPONE offer engine braking control? I was interested in it a while ago as I suffered a (real unfortunately) highside in a smaller track (N. Rysio) but eventually I decided against it as the circumstances were kind of freakish. If it does then I might be interested in it again, because reducing engine braking is also an issue of riding pleasure for me.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-25-18, 07:15 Thread Starter
stamatisx
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Thanks!
Yeah actually it was between K11-K12 but you are correct I was trying to close the line for the K12.

GRIPONE doesn't offer engine breaking control since that would require a ride by wire system that is not availiable on the Daytonas.
The manual idle adjuster from the race kit that I have installed is helping to reduce that effect though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	serres_track.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	247909  

post #4 of 8 Old 10-25-18, 07:32
Plasmablaster

Garage
Oh yeah you are right - K1-K2 require wider line in-between. (I've been there many times in the past but it's years - I've never taken the Triumph there. I will though once I install the manual cam chain tensioner that I have lying around).

Good luck with your new gadget. No matter what the exact circumstances of your occurrence, traction control is always a good thing to have on a powerful bike. I'll be waiting for your impressions on it.

There is a product out there actually that claims to offer engine braking control, together with traction control:

http://www.dimsport.it/en/rapidbike/racing/

It isn't as advanced as GripONE as it doesn't have any inertial (or wheel speed for the older models) sensor - it just uses crankshaft rotation speed data and if it sees that the crankshaft accelerates harder than should be possible under normal traction conditions it cuts the power. Bazzaz works on the same principle. Crude but has saved some folks from crashing.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-25-18, 07:52 Thread Starter
stamatisx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
There is a product out there actually that claims to offer engine braking control, together with traction control:

http://www.dimsport.it/en/rapidbike/racing/

It isn't as advanced as GripONE as it doesn't have any inertial (or wheel speed for the older models) sensor - it just uses crankshaft rotation speed data and if it sees that the crankshaft accelerates harder than should be possible under normal traction conditions it cuts the power. Bazzaz works on the same principle. Crude but has saved some folks from crashing.
I have spoken with them and they don't offer engine breaking for this bike either...
post #6 of 8 Old 10-25-18, 09:26
Plasmablaster

Garage
Oh I see. According to their "detailed applications list" for the older models ('07-'12) it is available if the "youtune" module is connected. Seems that the locked ECU on the'13+ disallows them to do it.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-25-18, 10:57
Cheyenne Bodie

Garage
Good save with the bike, thanks for the walkthrough.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-26-18, 11:32 Thread Starter
stamatisx

And a diagnostic test to verify the proper operation of the traction control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement