Daytona 675 weight - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 16 Old 12-09-17, 23:58 Thread Starter
Wiggie

Garage
Daytona 675 weight

Has anyone weighed their bike with a full tank of gas? Is this what is meant by "wet weight" and "curb weight"?
Any significant difference between 675 and 675R models?
Any significant difference between model years?

2009 Daytona 675; 2008 Sprint ST 1050; 2007 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-10-17, 01:14
TN12 StripleR

Wet weight includes all fluids: oil, coolant, fuel, brake fluid. Dry weight is none of those, just metal and plastic bits.

I havenít weighed my bike but donít really believe manufacturer weights. I wanna say one of the magazines weighs all of their press bikes. Canít remember though.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-10-17, 09:49
Chirp

The only way to check is through magazines that actually weigh a bike and specify how much gas was in it when they did. In an interesting anonymous letter to the editor from someone in the industry (years ago), the author said that the reason Japanese manufacturers' claimed dry weights were so low was that they based them on the specs for the parts. That is, using design specs they added up the weights of each individual part. And they did so because they needed to publish the specs long before any bike of that model year was produced.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS

post #4 of 16 Old 12-10-17, 23:34
LA 2013 D675R

In bone stock form with full tank of gas = 421 lbs from scale at the track.

Remember, fast riders have slow hands
post #5 of 16 Old 12-11-17, 23:16
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Start doing research, it has every Daytona made, including the 955

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/triumph .htm
post #6 of 16 Old 12-16-17, 10:08 Thread Starter
Wiggie
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Yes I have read all the published specs on the Daytona that I could find. Including that wonderfully useful motocycle specs site that you mentioned, from South Africa I believe. My wife might say "obsessively". What I was looking for was honest measured weights from an unbiased source such as an actual owner. From one of the comments above, that looks to be a little over 420lbs, rather than the 407lbs that is typically published. Those people must have weighed the bike with the reserve fuel light on.....

Any ideas on how much weight can be lost with say an aftermarket titanium exhaust. 10 lbs maybe?

Another dumb question while I'm at it. When doing track days do people typically put only about as much fuel in the tank as they would need for a single session, and fuel up again before the next session? I mean, one 20 min session would probably be 20 miles or less at a lot of tracks, so even one gallon of fuel would be sufficient. 7 lbs vs 30+lbs for a full tank.

post #7 of 16 Old 12-16-17, 10:38
Gosling 1

I would not cut it that close with the fuel, I was always amazed how few miles I got out of a gallon of fuel at track days. Having the bike stutter from fuel starvation leaned over in mid turn is a butt clinching experience!

I have searched around but never found anything to accurately weigh a motorcycle other than a very expensive scale made in the UK. Have seen a few videos using bathroom scales but that does not look very accurate, I know my scale lies!
post #8 of 16 Old 12-16-17, 12:06 Thread Starter
Wiggie
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Yes Gosling I am sure your bathroom scale grossly over reads. But I am the proud owner of an accurate parcel scale so just for interest I will use it to weigh my Daytona and report back. Will weigh one wheel at a time. Can any of the engineers on the forum see any problem with that?

post #9 of 16 Old 12-16-17, 18:53
MGFChapin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggie View Post
Will weigh one wheel at a time. Can any of the engineers on the forum see any problem with that?
You can do it that way, but you have to make sure the bike is perfectly level as you weigh each wheel. A block of wood that's the same thickness as the scale should go under the other wheel as you get weights.

A full titanium system will drop closer to 20 lbs, because remember you're also getting rid of the cat and EXUP.

Don't mess with fuel levels for track days. Even for club racing, I always add a little extra fuel just in case there's a red flag or a restart. It's not worth the embarrassment of running out of fuel to save 6 lbs.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-16-17, 23:48
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggie View Post

Another dumb question while I'm at it. When doing track days do people typically put only about as much fuel in the tank as they would need for a single session, and fuel up again before the next session? I mean, one 20 min session would probably be 20 miles or less at a lot of tracks, so even one gallon of fuel would be sufficient. 7 lbs vs 30+lbs for a full tank.
Uhm...In one trackday I usually use about 8.5-9 gallons of fuel, and I average about 70 miles per day. Why? Because it is WOT for 80% of the lap @ NCM. You aren't gonna get your normal 40mpg on a track.

What I do, is I fill it up to the top and that will last me till lunch (3 sessions). After that, it gets a half a tank every session (so it "feels" the same every session).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement