Anyone Tuned for E85? - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 11-05-18, 18:25 Thread Starter
AYoDread

Anyone Tuned for E85?

So E85 is starting to get big here in the states. I was picking a tuners brain and he said he could tune my bike for E85 and 95 pump gas since I am using a map switch.

I'm curious to know what all is need in the converting over to E85 besides a fuel pump and maybe new fuel lines?
There are some bikes down her running E85 but they are the 1300cc+ bikes

Yes I used the search, I typed in E85 and only 1 thread about exhaust headers pulls up.

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-05-18, 19:13
Cheyenne Bodie

Garage
Is there a reason you want to switch to E85? Your gas mileage will also take a big hit compared to regular gasoline. I wouldn't really make the switch unless I was running a boosted setup, but maybe our engines are just barely high enough compression for it to matter. At any rate, you'd likely need new (higher flow) injectors as well. The rest of the problem like you suggested would be the melting of lines and plastic assemblies like in the fuel pump and/or fuel lines, and you wouldn't want to let it sit in the tank since it will draw water out of the air and result in tank rust (ethanol free gas does not do this).
post #3 of 15 Old 11-05-18, 22:17
beatle

Yes, you'll almost surely need larger injectors as well. Since you're normally aspirated, you're not likely to gain much (if any) in the way of power by tuning for E85, and yes, your mileage will take a huge dump.

2010 Street Triple R (street)
2018 Bobber Black
2019 Honda Monkey

post #4 of 15 Old 11-06-18, 17:15 Thread Starter
AYoDread
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I'm looking to get my bike dyno'd to help me smooth out my powerband some more. I have been picking a few tuners brains here and there.

One brought up E85 since I'm I have a map switch that allows me to change tunes on the fly. I wanted to run an aggressive tune or the track and a fuel saver tune for commuting initially. But I'm already going to be saving fuel by running lean.

There are a lot of E85 stations down here, also there are a lot of NA bikes running it. I also thought only the turbo guys were using it and us NA guys had to run race fuel but I was wrong.

So I'm doing some research to see of it's worth the investing in E85. It's cheaper than 95 octane at the pump, and yes everyone says the gas mileage drops and it eats away at the plastics. But most riders run E85 for "fun" and when they are done they fill up with 95 octane.

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
post #5 of 15 Old 11-06-18, 17:28
Kevin7909

Isn't the 675 setup to run 87 unless ignition timing, cams etc., is/are changed? Just changing injector timing I can't imagine would need a change in octane. What am I missing?
post #6 of 15 Old 11-06-18, 18:27
Cheyenne Bodie

Garage
I doubt you would see more power from it, probably less but like I said maybe we're high comp enough to get something comparable or better out of it. It won't do anything for your powerband that pure gas won't. There's more power to be had from E85, but not from every engine. Its popularity is more about energy politics than the actual ease of use or utility of it over pure gas, so it's cheaper for a reason. I'd do more research on the specific advantages as it relates to our engines before putting money down. It's pretty much impossible to run E85 truly lean, it will still be gulping it compared to pure gas. If you plan to run a setup with a catalytic converter on board it may lessen its lifespan, E85 burns much hotter and with a much richer mix resulting in about 60-75% more hydrocarbons getting hot as shit and donkey punched past that filter.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-06-18, 20:37
gbinsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin7909 View Post
Isn't the 675 setup to run 87 unless ignition timing, cams etc., is/are changed? Just changing injector timing I can't imagine would need a change in octane. What am I missing?
What you're missing is that this is a discussion about E85 (a gas blend that's 85% ethanol), not about octane.

Last edited by gbinsd; 11-06-18 at 20:40. Reason: clarification
post #8 of 15 Old 11-06-18, 22:10
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbinsd View Post
Quote:
What you're missing is that this is a discussion about E85 (a gas blend that's 85% ethanol), not about octane.
That's fair...he mentioned using e85 for fun then putting in 95 octane.

Why put 95 octane into our bikes? If it's a money thing then 87 is fine for a stock engine with maybe a PCV.

It was also mentioned above that it's unlikely he will see any noticeable performance benefits with e85.

That's why I mentioned it.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-10-18, 11:59 Thread Starter
AYoDread

Quote:
That's fair...he mentioned using e85 for fun then putting in 95 octane.

Why put 95 octane into our bikes? If it's a money thing then 87 is fine for a stock engine with maybe a PCV.

It was also mentioned above that it's unlikely he will see any noticeable performance benefits with e85.

That's why I mentioned it.
sorry my mistake, we have 91 here NOT 95.

But this thread is about E85 NOT any other fuels.

I'm not just looking at cost, Im looking at cost for performance. Is it overall worth spending $300 - $1000 to convert my bike over to E85 as a cheaper and more abundant race fuel option.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-10-18, 12:24 Thread Starter
AYoDread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne Bodie View Post
I doubt you would see more power from it, probably less but like I said maybe we're high comp enough to get something comparable or better out of it. It won't do anything for your powerband that pure gas won't. There's more power to be had from E85, but not from every engine. Its popularity is more about energy politics than the actual ease of use or utility of it over pure gas, so it's cheaper for a reason. I'd do more research on the specific advantages as it relates to our engines before putting money down. It's pretty much impossible to run E85 truly lean, it will still be gulping it compared to pure gas. If you plan to run a setup with a catalytic converter on board it may lessen its lifespan, E85 burns much hotter and with a much richer mix resulting in about 60-75% more hydrocarbons getting hot as shit and donkey punched past that filter.
I am still researching before I put my bike on the dyno. So far I am seeing riders just replace the fuel pump and going with bigger injectors. Granted these are mostly 1000cc bikes with boost or spray. I might be the 1st 675 tuned for E85 lol

I'm running full bolt-ons and no emissions on this bike with a Map Switch. So no worries about that here.

The one thing I wish we could get on our bike is senor to measure the ethanol content in the fuel and adjust my fuel Map for it like on the Flex Fuel vehicles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement