You're GOING TO drop your first bike advice - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

post #21 of 87 Old 04-30-12, 15:04
kevinoneill

In retrospect...

I got a 1980 GS 550, first bike. Dropped it prob the 3rd time I was on it. Dropped the clutch out to hard and wasn't holding on to the handles tight enough, down in the grass she went.

No shits were given haha. Picked it up, and tried again.

Also taught my friend how to ride it, he found out the hard way how heavy a bike gets when you lean it over.

Again... no shits where given. Got him right back on it.

I would of been devastated if I did that to my D675. And absolutely none of my friends will be learning on my D675. haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 87 Old 04-30-12, 15:54
GT_Hawk

As stated before I teach Canadian equivalent to MSF course. So I get to see lots of people dropping bikes (means paperwork for me). And in most cases its either person panics, gets over confident, or dose not see the situation right. Panics are cured by experience and learning what to do and what not to do. IE in a turn pulling front break is a great one I get to see. Over confident is just pushing a little more then they should and again something happens the are not expecting, say a back tire skid when getting cocky with rear break.

The last to me is the biggest part for new riders, not seeing the danger. When I hear the "you will drop your first bike" to me its going to be slow speed or a stopped then dropped scenario. Great example when I almost dropped my first bike was in a marking lot. Started to make the right turn when a car turning left from land I am turning into cuts the corner. Was ding next to 0 kph, but tap the breaks to get me to 0. But oops bike is in a little lean. Caught the bike 6" from the ground. I am a big guy so managed to mussel the hyosung gt650 back up. So now I am aware of these kinds of scenarios, I look for dips in pavement, that little bit of sand, the leaves, things that at slow speed or stopped your tire can slip on or foot can slip on or go into.

Basically its a warning that you don't know what you are doing, this weekend course you just completed gives you a working knowledge. But you need to practice and prefect the skills.
post #23 of 87 Old 04-30-12, 16:16
Evan_Calgary

Came from dirt bikes and although everyone I talked to said dirt is not like street I found it was damn near close. Have never dropped a street bike but I think EVERYONE I know that rides street in my age group (around 25) has crashed or totalled a bike. Common errors... target fixation, too much brake, only using rear brake... all things that could have easily have been avoided with some caution/instruction!

That being said, I have had my Daytona for about a week and started out very cautiously. Its a new relationship and I have to feel out the new girl! Motorcycles are fun but can be dangerous.

Whenever I ride with a new rider I tell them to go at their own pace and provide confidence insiring instruction with words of caution!

post #24 of 87 Old 05-01-12, 13:33
Papachristou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Calgary View Post
.....EVERYONE I know that rides street in my age group (around 25) has crashed or totalled a bike. Common errors... target fixation, too much brake, only using rear brake... all things that could have easily have been avoided with some caution/instruction!

......Motorcycles are fun but can be dangerous.
you have that backwards, motorcycle ARE dangerous but CAN be fun. Everyone i know has had a wreck as well. Two of my friends have had ankle surguries from their wrecks too. stupid mistakes that the basic msf course would have prevented. it was ironic too because i had strongly urged both of them to take the MSF but they were TOO busy!!

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R
Arrow Slip On - GB Racing Slider Covers
LSL Frame Sliders -Zero Gravity Corsa
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!
post #25 of 87 Old 05-01-12, 19:05
Evan_Calgary

I'll give you that one...
post #26 of 87 Old 05-02-12, 06:38
MadMel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Calgary View Post
Came from dirt bikes and although everyone I talked to said dirt is not like street I found it was damn near close. Have never dropped a street bike but I think EVERYONE I know that rides street in my age group (around 25) has crashed or totalled a bike.
Haha, I was reading this thread and thinking about how I started on dirt bikes, and how that probably influenced my street riding. But my take on the result was the opposite... from riding dirt bikes all the time I thought crashing was normal, just a part of riding, and I think that carried over into my early street riding. Funny how two people can have a similar thought but reach an opposite conclusion.
post #27 of 87 Old 05-02-12, 18:49
Papachristou

yeah, i started on dirt and enduros when i was a kid. got my first speeding ticket on my kawa 125 enduro, 60mph downhill baby! cop was at the bottom lol, he made me push it about 5 miles home in the middle of the summer in florida haha.

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R
Arrow Slip On - GB Racing Slider Covers
LSL Frame Sliders -Zero Gravity Corsa
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!
post #28 of 87 Old 05-02-12, 19:21
00transamnh

I cant stand when someone says that "everyone will drop their bike sooner or later" or "everyone drops their first bike."

Its just people passing on their own hate and discontent. How the hell can anyone say "everyone" will do anything. Its about the equivalent of saying "if you haven't crashed your car yet... YOU WILL!"

Self taught on a 600rr and yet to drop a bike (not saying I wont... just haven't). Be prepared, wear the gear, hope for the best, and blow off everyone's negative BS.

2006 D675 (Ternader red)
post #29 of 87 Old 05-02-12, 22:35
Evan_Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
Haha, I was reading this thread and thinking about how I started on dirt bikes, and how that probably influenced my street riding. But my take on the result was the opposite... from riding dirt bikes all the time I thought crashing was normal, just a part of riding, and I think that carried over into my early street riding. Funny how two people can have a similar thought but reach an opposite conclusion.
Thank is quite the opposite take eh? I was always the one doing stupid stuff on the dirt and was constantly crashing on the moto-track and in the bush. Guess maybe I had a healthier understanding of what happens when you crash? Interesting to hear the opposite opinion haha.
post #30 of 87 Old 05-04-12, 11:33
flynavy90

I would totally agree with the OP. I think its foolish to tell a new rider that they will definitely drop their bike. That makes them scared. No matter what the bike, they're now riding around just waiting for it. They take every corner wondering if this is when they go down. And the instant something starts to go wrong, their brain screams "This is it.... I'm going down for sure", suddenly their thinking about how much it's gonna hurt/mess up their bike instead of working out a way to keep it up. When I first started riding a bit over a year ago (obviously I'm not nearly as experienced as half the guys on here), I was well aware that I COULD drop the bike, but I wasn't expecting it to happen at anytime, and I wasn't scared of it. I've had a couple instances since then where I'm pretty sure I would've gone down if I had panicked or been scared. Granted, I'm sure that eventually I will go down just simply because eventually the factors will all align sometime, but I don't think that new riders need to be riding around with the idea in their head that they're going to go down around every turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement