Triumph 675 Forums banner

Daytona 765 coming this year!

15K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  GMike278 
#1 ·

"Triumph is building a street bike around the new Moto2 engine

It's been quite a long time since Triumph left aside their iconic Daytona. Fortunately, the waiting comes to an end sooner than we expected, as the first spy-shots with the new Daytona 765 were caught by the folks at MCN. The picture was published on this week's issue and will soon go online.

The base ground for the new 765 sports bike will be the three-cylinder engine that Triumph developed last year for the Moto2 prototypes. The new powerplant is able to produce 135 horsepower and can be tuned for even more, while meeting event the Euro 5 emission regulations.

Source: riders.drivemag.com "

See less See more
#5 ·
Yepper - we went through is same BS 2 years ago about Triumph releasing the fairing version Street Triple Sport-Tourer. Would have been real easy to put that on the street and I think a good seller.

Also - WTF is the deal with 135 hp? Weaksauce.
135rwhp would a solid number to be putting down from this bike, but if that is crank and there is some improvements needed for sure.

#8 · (Edited)

"Triumph have developed an all-new Daytona using the 765 engine first debuted in their Street Triple, an evolution of which will be used in Moto2 from this season onwards. While speculation has been rife that the Moto2 project would pave the way for the return of the Daytona, these pictures are the first proof that Triumph does have a road bike waiting in the wings.

The images, snapped in Spain last week, reveal a high-spec model, with numerous clues that this will be badged, as with its predecessors, as an R or SE model. It's not inconceivable that this could even be the third in Triumph's new line of TFC models, boasting super-high spec, engine tuning work, carbon bodywork and available only as a numbered limited edition to coincide with Triumph's arrival as the control engine in Moto2.

With reaction to MCN's October 2017 Daytona 765 story driving a tide of interest in a new model, Steve Sargent, Triumph's Chief Product Officer, confirmed that: "If we could prove the demand, then of course we'll do it. With the excitement we have around Moto2, we would be foolish not to consider it as a possibility." But the firm flatly denied the bike was already in development. A little over a year later, and it's clear that Triumph believe there is enough demand to release a new Daytona in 765 guise.

Continue reading here:

SPIED: Triumph Daytona returns with 765 engine"

#17 ·
Proportional to a 115HP 675, the 765 should have about 130HP.

Given both weights being 407lbs, the 765 would have about .319 power to weight ratio, and the 675 would have about .282. Getting an extra 10HP with an exhaust and tune out of the 765 would be around .343:nod:. What the actual weight differences are I can't speculate.

If they keep the 675 midrange and add top end to the 765 they would probably easily kill an R6 in the right hands.

I do like that Triumph does longer span models than other companies, but have fun upgrading an 06 675 to the 765 engine.

#19 ·
Proportional to a 115HP 675, the 765 should have about 130HP.

Given both weights being 407lbs, the 765 would have about .319 power to weight ratio, and the 675 would have about .282. Getting an extra 10HP with an exhaust and tune out of the 765 would be around .343:nod:. What the actual weight differences are I can't speculate.

If they keep the 675 midrange and add top end to the 765 they would probably easily kill an R6 in the right hands.

I do like that Triumph does longer span models than other companies, but have fun upgrading an 06 675 to the 765 engine.
Uhmm!!! (Eye roll) it can't compeat with a GSXR600 or an R6 or a ZX6 or any 600! It's not a middle weight any more it's a heavy weight . So it will compeat against the GSXR750. Don't like it unless a 675 is also available and the chance that happens is about Nill.

#18 ·
I'd like to see it come with an ECU that someone can actually work with and at least the option to add an autoblip which would mean a throttle by wire.

#24 ·
Ouch! "Could be $20,000 and track only, with street following the next year".
Lol. As others have pointed out, it wouldn't even have a class in which to race in the foreseeable future. Better off buying a Moto2 chassis from Kalex and slotting in a 675 motor. If this is true, Triumph will have missed the barn door of a mark. This would be the best streetbike ever made.

#28 ·
I've been waiting for this -- my orthopedists have not....

If I get back in to racing, it will be in another class -- be it the 250/300cc or the 750/765cc class. I'm burned out on supersport. The 1000 class is temping, if not just for the peak technology that comes with it, but that's just too much power for me. If this 765 can bring a decent technology package, this could be the way to go.

Hopefully they will bring some better / more racing appropriate geometry and components. Don't get me wrong -- I love these things and won an amateur title on one, but it's a pain in the ass (and expensive) to have to do all that sh*t again to make it get to where a Yamaha / GSRX / Aprillia come nearly out of the box (rear linkage; triple; oil pump).

#29 ·
How the Moto2 class goes, this new Daytona will go. If it starts costing Triumph more $$$ than they expected, it will affect the development of the street bike. If there's no buzz about how the new engine will help the Moto2 riders make the jump to the top class, they won't be able to pull riders off the Japanese supersports or convince a liter bike rider to come down for the handling benefits of less weight. Triumph has to make a statement with this engine or they will basically be fighting for the dollars of their old customers who already love the 675. I love my 2010.

#33 ·
Is this the track-only bike? On the website I can see throttle cables, that would suggest no auto blipper.
That's only a rendering of the bike, Triumph is doing a reveal on Aug 23rd. From the website: "it's going to be the closest you can get to a genuine Moto2™ factory ride for the road." (So it'll be a street bike.)

When I went to the dealership (read: jumped on my street triple and raced from work) They didn't have any info on the bike and only gave me a ballpark of the price based on the other Triumph Factory Customs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.