Triumph 675 Forums banner

APE Cam Chain Tensioners Now Available

53K views 138 replies 52 participants last post by  Clayson38 
#1 ·
Trust me, if you don't have a manual cam chain tensioner on your 675, you NEED one. The stock spring tensioner is garbage. It does not hold tension against the chain properly, which allows the chain to whip around inside the cam chain tunnel, causing noise and all sorts of mayhem when it cuts into the engine casting. (my own 675's tensioner failed in this very way) Well here is the solution, and something we have just completed testing on, a manual tensioner that will hold the chain in proper tension. As an added bonus, it is about half the price of the Triumph race kit part! Choose USPS Priority shipping and it will arrive in your mailbox in 2-3 days for only $5! They will be available for shipment starting approx. 9/12.

http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?...id=335&zenid=4659f57e549ea496a2b759bc96040095

See less See more
#99 ·
A few quick questions...

It seems that I have a tiny leak stemming from the manual CCT tightener. Not the two bolts that fasten the CCT itself, but the one big bolt that keeps the CCT tensioned. I installed the O-ring from the stock CCT onto the manual one. Any idea why it might be leaking? can I line the threads with teflon tape to tighten the seal?

Also... the 6.5K buzz seems to have gone away, but now (2000+ miles after the Manual CCT is installed) it almost feels as if the bike is running a little rougher. It feels like that across the whole RPM range, but much more pronounced @ around 6000 - 7000K. Would this mean I have it too tight? or too loose? or is it something else alltogether?

#101 ·
just wanted to give a proper thanks to when its due.
i ordered my APE cam chain tensioner from him for that great price and in no time (2days) it was on my front step!. quality product and awsome price from a kick ass member..
greatly appreciated and thank you hordboy!...
im suuuuure everyone knows this by now..
but had to throw in my 2 cents...
NEW PARTS! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

#103 ·
HORD has em for $9.95.....Im ordering next week

#105 ·
The gasket is listed on the same page in my store as the tensioner, "timing cover gasket." It is simply the gasket that Woodcraft sells with their engine covers, a reusable type. It doesn't really need any sealer. Or you can just leave out the gasket and use Yamabond if you want.

#111 ·
The gasket is listed on the same page in my store as the tensioner, "timing cover gasket."​
Damn, wish I read that page more carefully, paid $36[US] for an OEM gasket in case I needed it (which I didn't)
Fitted the APE tensioner today as part of my 10,000km service no bad noise from my bike before doing this but I could push the guide in another 2~3mm by hand with the stock tensioner still fitted.
Also found a 1/2" drive socket (10~14mm) wrapped in a lint free cloth makes a handy wedge between the case and guide to keep tension in the chain while doing the swap.
Anyway bike's back together and there is a slight reduction in mechanical noise via the screwdriver stethoscope test.

Hord great service, the shipping advice email arrived 9 hours after order confirmation and USPS delivered in 5 days to Australia, thanks.

#113 ·
Just ordered a cam chain tensioner from you hord, hopefully it'll solve my problem when it comes! thanks!

#115 ·
:thumbsup: I ordered mine on friday came in yesterday great customer service!!!!!!!!!!!

#116 ·
Hordboy, Im ready to order later this evening. do you have the tensioner and gaskets in stock?

#118 ·
just ordered a tensioner and gasket, hopefully they are still in stock.

#120 ·
its a problem with all 06-08 675's at one point or another in its lifetime, the 09 on the other hand has the manual tensioner as stock

#125 ·
thanks to hordpower, ordered mine and got it within a week to the UK, fits perfectly and simple to adjust. spinning the crank smoothly is easy compared to my 560cc single!!!

will have to hold fire on whether it reduces the 7krpm vibes as the gasket tore when removing the cover and dealer needs to order one

#126 ·
Just posted this in the "Race Tensioner" thread:

Installed my APE tensioner at the weekend, went like a breeze but have a question, it is normal to have a quiet, but noticeable, noise from the valvetrain isn't it? I know my KTM makes a noise like a bag of spanners when it's running fine but haven't taken the time to listen to the 675 before working on it, retrospectively it would have been nice to do so before taking her apart

It's not particularly loud, but enough that you notice it when crouching next to the bike about 5ft away as being slightly louder than the rest of the engine whirring noises

I think I'm being overly cautious tbh, but just want some reassurance, I'm always surprised by how noisy bike engines are if you really listen closely

Anyway, it'll all get solved this weekend when I fit the TOR can:grin:

#128 ·
If I remember correctly from when I installed mine you just need to reuse the o-ring from the stock tensioner.

I also highly recommend putting some hi-temp silicone sealer around the tensioner, as mine was leaking even though the o-ring was fine. After taking it apart and putting some sealant in there the leak never returned. :cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.