Triumph 675 Forums banner

APE Cam Chain Tensioners Now Available

53K views 138 replies 52 participants last post by  Clayson38 
#1 ·
Trust me, if you don't have a manual cam chain tensioner on your 675, you NEED one. The stock spring tensioner is garbage. It does not hold tension against the chain properly, which allows the chain to whip around inside the cam chain tunnel, causing noise and all sorts of mayhem when it cuts into the engine casting. (my own 675's tensioner failed in this very way) Well here is the solution, and something we have just completed testing on, a manual tensioner that will hold the chain in proper tension. As an added bonus, it is about half the price of the Triumph race kit part! Choose USPS Priority shipping and it will arrive in your mailbox in 2-3 days for only $5! They will be available for shipment starting approx. 9/12.

http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?...id=335&zenid=4659f57e549ea496a2b759bc96040095

See less See more
#55 ·
Not smooth, but enough to finger tighten the tensioner as you turn the engine..
Just did mine today and very happy with the results.. No 7k buzz adn it's now smooth as glass.. I would recommend that you get a spare cover gasket, mine tore when I removed the cover..

#71 ·
I am curious about this last question as well. My bike makes an awful metallic rattling sound anywhere below 8000 rpms (except at idle). It starts rattling with no-load throttle blips or when downshifting on decel. It quiets when I pull the clutch in (again, coincident with rpms). It really sounds to be coming from the right side of the engine, so I'm taking the bike apart to have a look now. I also just ordered the APE tensioner. It can't hurt to install it either way.

#72 ·
My bike didn't make a noticeable rattle, as some have stated with theirs. However, after the install, it's definitely quieter and smoother at all RPMs. Also, I like the added peace-of-mind, as this bike gets tracked.

Per "hordboy", I used Yamabond instead of the gasket. My Woodcraft cover had always leaked since the install. Not anymore. The mechanics at the shops I've worked in always used it or the Honda equivalent. I see why, now. To hell with gaskets! :thumbsup:

#78 ·
I just ordered one for myself
Ken

#84 ·
i want to order...
does it make a difference in how soon my order gets placed if i go through you here or on your website? let me know

i have that terrible noise between 7-8k and it sounds like this will be the fix. im excited.

#89 ·
All orders should go thru the website, it makes accounting much easier. Of course, you can also order via phone. It is also better to contact me via email rather than forum PM's.

Back to tensioners... I am once again temporarily out of stock but will have more later next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.