Triumph 675 Forums banner

How to remove a removable exhaust baffle?

15K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  TwoWheeledWonder 
#1 ·
I just bought my second D675 and had a Triumph Arrow exhaust fitted, it has a removable baffle, but the screw that locks in place had a weld, a common situation, presumably to satisfy some wierd regulation. The general concenus was to tap it free with a fine screwdriver or chisel or similar and then remove the threaded screw...mmm great in theory, but practice I suspect the weld was not just on the edge of the screw and tacked to the exhaust but also gone underneath. IN short I have effectively butchered most of the head of the screw and it has not moved and of course now there is nothing to grip or lock onto to remove the remains... I mind so much but the baffle is still locked in place to add insult to injury.

So the question is does anyone have any ideas on how to cleanly remove the remaining threaded screw with no head??? :whawhat:

#2 ·
i actually asked around for a baffle for the arrow on mine just in case a plod pulled me up i would have one to insert.

have you a pic of the offending screw ?

lets have a look and see what we can work out?

#10 ·
Finally got it out yesterday, thanks to an engineer friend, just a little patience the right fine tool and bloody big hammer and she turned enough to eventually unthread quite neatly... so all good and thanks to one and all for the advice.

With the baffle out of the Triumph Arrow it sounds awesome, very deep throaty roar and a beautiful gurgle on deccelleration. :thumbup:

#11 ·
Finally got it out yesterday, thanks to an engineer friend, just a little patience the right fine tool and bloody big hammer and she turned enough to eventually unthread quite neatly... so all good and thanks to one and all for the advice.

With the baffle out of the Triumph Arrow it sounds awesome, very deep throaty roar and a beautiful gurgle on deccelleration. :thumbup:
You just lost your man card. Not only did a girl fix your problem, she did it with a big hammer. This should be a miller lite commercial.

#13 ·
Sooo... I just put the correct Torx bit on there and broke the weld. no problem. Screw started coming out just fine, but then all of a sudden... hey, look at that, the bolt head is on the ground.

I should be able to get a vise grip on there, but that's the only bolt I need to remove, right? dumb question, I know.

#16 ·
Well, it didn't "all of a sudden" fall. The last few turns were a little tight, but not overly so. So i figured it just needed a few final twists.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I'm wondering what the "right tool" is for the job. Any thoughts? The vice grips I have are too large. I can get them to latch on the bottom end of the bolt, but not enough space to turn.

#18 ·
I used an ice pick and a hammer and tapped the weld lightly until it cracked (a few minutes). Then I unscrewed it and pulled out the baffle. I wanted to keep everything intact so when I eventually sign up for a track day at Laguna Seca I can put my baffle back in because they have a sound restriction there.

#19 ·
I just put on my arrow slip-on and was quite disappointed in the sound. Can you post a picture of the baffle and where you unscrewed/broke/snapped it out at?
And would this require any kind of retune?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.