HOW TO: Throttle Adjustment - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > How To's

Old 02-22-06, 16:45   #1
valoflyby

Default HOW TO: Throttle Adjustment

Some of us are receiving our 675's with throttles that are WAY out of the 2-3mm specifications.

Although many may find that throttle adjustment may be beyond the "How To" need, I have noticed that the owner's manual mentions how to adjust the throttle cable at the throttle body, but makes no mention whatsoever of the "in-line" adjuster up near the twist-grip.

For that reason, I submit the following.

WARNING!! -- If you do not feel 100% comfortable monkeying w/ your throttle adjustment DO NOT DO THIS!!! Leave it for your authorized Triumph repair facility. If you hose this, you could hurt yourself badly.

#1 - Locate the inline adjuster! It is about three inches (75mm) downstream (down throttle cable?) of the right grip. In this picture, it is circled in green. It is protected by two rubber sleeves, one fitting tightly inside the other. Seperate these to reveal the adjuster:

#2 - Using your 10mm and 8mm open-end wrenches (spanners), hold the 8mm side while you loosen the 10mm locknut. This will then enable you to rotate the 8mm section, to either add length to the cable sleeve (decreasing slack) or reduce length (increasing slack).

#3 - The manual recommends that there be 2-3mm of slack in the rotation of the grip before the RPM of the engine increases. Please understand the reasoning behind this: When the bars are turned from one side to the other, it can lengthen and reduce the APPARENT length of the cable sleeves, making the RPM increase on its own if that 2-3mm wasn't there. FOR THIS REASON, I recommend that you turn the bars full lock to ensure that the new setting doesn't inadvertantly rev you up when you're not expecting it.

#4 - Tighten 10mm locknut up to the 8mm section by holding the 8mm still while tightening the 10mm.

#5 - Replace protective sleeves.

#6 - Enjoy reduced throttle slop.

*** Author assumes no liability for accuracy of information contained within as it is provided "informational" in nature. Author assumes no liability for differences between photo'd 675 and your own. Author assumes no responsibility if you tighten up the throttle to the point that it is revving @ 5k @ idle and you can no longer control the bike. Perform this work at your own risk.

Four Wheelers:05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited, 02 Hyundai Accent ("The Dingy")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-06, 17:01   #2
administrator
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to administrator
Default Re: HOW TO: Throttle Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by valoflyby
So, how does it feel now.. more "immediate"? A bit too touchy even? I'm not an expert rider yet, thinking if I'm railing around at 12,000 rpm a couple mm's of slop might not be so bad. :?

Old 02-22-06, 17:18   #3
valoflyby

Default Re: HOW TO: Throttle Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoflyby
So, how does it feel now.. more "immediate"? A bit too touchy even? I'm not an expert rider yet, thinking if I'm railing around at 12,000 rpm a couple mm's of slop might not be so bad. :?
The answer I'll give here is "controlled". W/ too much throttle slop, it is a real PITA to ride, especially b/c the motor is so powerful. You turn the throttle a mm or two and nothing happens... so you turn it another mm or two and nothing happens... then you turn it 3-5mm and somewhere in there you pull up all the slack and VROOOOM off you go!! Now this is just an annoyance in a straight line.... in a corner... it becomes downright dangerous.

Now, the bear was that I had to do this twice. I adjusted it and at the beginning of my ride everything was perfect. 20 miles into it and the sloppiness had returned. I don't think that it was cable stretch... I just think that everything needed to kinda "seat" into place. I adjusted it after THAT ride and it has been delightful since.

One final thing worth mentioning: When discussing "free play" of 2-3mm, there's a bit of a dispute as to what this exactly means. Does it mean that you can turn the grip 2-3mm before you can feel the cables pick up the slack.... OR does it mean that you can turn the throttle 2-3mm before the revs start to increase? I've had much more success in reducing driveline lash by reducing throttle slop by going w/ the second definition. (Power is nothing w/o control, right?)

HTH,
Jeff

The Following User Says Thank You to valoflyby For This Useful Post:
Michael Caesar (09-11-14)
Old 02-22-06, 17:33   #4
Abzz

Valoflyby, another great post, thanks
Q. Do you have to remove the screen to get at the adjuster or have you done that for the sake of better picures for our benefit?

1981____________________2007

Old 02-22-06, 17:46   #5
valoflyby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzz
Valoflyby, another great post, thanks
Q. Do you have to remove the screen to get at the adjuster or have you done that for the sake of better picures for our benefit?
Good question. You do *not* have to remove the windscreen to make the adjustment. One *does* have to remove it to get the camera to be far enough away to focus.

Old 02-22-06, 17:54   #6
PragB

Send a message via AIM to PragB

This how-to makes even me think about trying to fix the problem if mine has the "looseness"... another excellent source of info...

Old 02-22-06, 18:32   #7
crubright

Today i went and finally saw one and started it up. i noticed the extra play and the sales guy told me he noticed it to and the shop was goin to adjust it. when i got there they hed just got back from testing it and had not had a chance to adjust it. I will let them do it when mine comes in if it needs it.

Old 02-22-06, 18:57   #8
Rat Race
BOTM Winner

Thanks for another great post Jeff.

Keep this up and we will have to rename "Maintenance and repair to "Jeff's How To section" :D

Old 02-22-06, 20:21   #9
motojc

thanks, I was just planning on having it adjusted.

why replace the sleeve?

Old 02-22-06, 23:54   #10
NitroNorry

Great post Jeff - keep em coming. :)

Martin

Please checkout http://www.pirate-racing.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement