How to install and EvoTech Tail Tidy on the 2013's - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 31 Old 05-09-13, 12:27 Thread Starter
RidersDiscount

How to install and EvoTech Tail Tidy on the 2013's

This is a very quick “how to” on the EvoTech tail tidy install. I didn't take a picture of the removal of the OEM unit however it is fairly straight forward and is the 4 bolts under the passenger seat.

You will be disassembling the OEM bracket to gain access to the wiring harness and turn signals.

Here you can see the plate light is pulled from the housing

Turn signals are removed

Both of the turn signals are unbolted and the plate light housing has been removed (note the color of wiring before these are unplugged from the harness)

Here you can see we are spreading the OEM housing open like a scissor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-09-13, 12:28 Thread Starter
RidersDiscount
Threadstarter Threadstarter

The turn signals are unplugged from the jumper harness so you can remove them from the plate mount

This is the OEM subharness that we will be reusing when installing the new tail tidy

We have now installed the OEM signals on the EvoTech stalks

Here you can see you feed the turn signal wiring through the stalk and also through the EvoTech vertical plate. This is done for both sides.

post #3 of 31 Old 05-09-13, 12:28 Thread Starter
RidersDiscount

Once you have both plates ready you will press them together. When pressing them together route the wiring through channel. There are 3 threaded studs that align the two halves and you need to make sure the studs have the threaded portion pointing out (I threaded bolts into these studs before I pressed the two halves together.

Note: Pressing the two halves together takes a bit of force

The purple and black wires are for the new plate light

The plate mounting bracket is now mounted in place

Turn Signals are now hooked up to the subharness (make sure you connect the left and right to the colors noted previously)

We are now going to wire in the plate light.

Here we install the supplied bullet plugs. This is the only piece that I would think about upgrading in the kit. There are better waterproof type connectors on the market.
[img]http://img.f.ridersdiscount.com/forum/evotech/tail_tidy_install_13_675/evotech_tail_tidy_install-22.jpg[img]

post #4 of 31 Old 05-09-13, 12:29 Thread Starter
RidersDiscount

The subharness is now complete

The base plate can now be mounted to the two halves

The OEM rubber gasket is now put in place

It helps to have a 2nd hand with this next step. Run the wiring through the subframe and into the compartment under the passenger seat. You will also be replacing the collared spacers at this time.

Here you see the difference between the OEM and the EvoTech supplied spacers

Finished product
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RidersDiscount For This Useful Post:
Falcon (11-13-15), st3Grl (08-25-14)
post #5 of 31 Old 05-09-13, 15:16
Beeglowbot

Garage
Thanks for the write-up TJ. Did not know the signal brackets are detachable!
post #6 of 31 Old 05-09-13, 20:28
Dirty32

Thank you, Sir!

This will definitely help with my install.
post #7 of 31 Old 06-03-13, 09:55
djflowe

Thanks for the great write-up, and the fast shipping.

The instructions are great, and the tail tidy is of outstanding quality- if anyone's considering it.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-12-13, 17:44
akdmx

My thoughts after install

I wasted time in two stupid ways while completing this otherwise easy project. The first silly thing I did was covering the multiple indicator wires that plug in to the harness with a single tube of heat-shrink wrap. This makes it look really clean but the issue is that I'll have to cut it all off if I ever want to replace the indicators. I actually don't have any plans to change the indicators so in hindsight I wouldn't call this a mistake because I like the neatness. I also chose to solder the harness on for the rear light instead of using the supplied crimps. I can still easily disconnect the rear lights and see no reason not to solder so I went ahead with it. I would definitely suggest going this route for those that are comfortable with a soldering iron.

The real time waster occurred after I dropped one of the top-hat-shaped spacers. What you need to know about the evotech spacers is that they are lower profile than OEM, and they are not magnetic. In the process of slipping the front-most spacer in to the hole I dropped it and it slid under the black plastic piece. I dropped it because there was no good way to get it in to place since it is not magnetic. I ended up having to take off the seat, rear fairings, and everything that holds the rear fairings down in order to be able to lift the black plastic piece where the spacer was hiding. I'm pretty sure Triumph designed this are such that the OEM spacer would be too big to slip under the black plastic piece but this is not the case with the Evotech. It also would have been nice if the spacers were magnetic so that one could retrieve dropped spacers easily.

Anyhow, those are my notes. I highly recommend this product to someone seeking a tail tidy and TJ @ RidersDiscount did me right. Don't take my complaining to mean that the install is hard -- it should be effortless if you place the front spacer carefully and don't let it slip in to the bike.

2013 675R
post #9 of 31 Old 07-14-13, 04:19
bobbbio

I just installed mine today.

I just installed mine today. Like the previous responder, you have to take great care in putting in the new spacers. Here's the way I did it and should almost be in the notes like this:

Use a long skinny copper wire or something equivalent (I actually used a spare allen wrench). Take needlenose pliers and hold the spacer above where you need to install it. While still holding the spacer with the pliers, slide the wire through the spacer and down through the bottom hole of the bike. From there you can just release the spacer from the pliers and it will drop right into the hole. Start on the 3 exposed holes first and then do the inside "covered" hole.

I did it like this and didn't have any problems and am very happy with the results.

I still need to figure out how to add the red reflector. I don't think the way I left it is all the way correct even though it looks great. Anybody out there know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6410.jpg
Views:	3833
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	65794  
post #10 of 31 Old 07-14-13, 23:59
Dirty32

Same as this guy ^...

I just poked a screwdriver through the holes (from the bottom) and dropped the new collets over the screwdriver, locating them in the holes. Once they were in, I just pulled the screwdriver out and the job is done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement