How to: Gas tank removal - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > How To's

Old 04-16-07, 15:29   #1
jbj

Default How to: Gas tank removal

Removing the tank:(single handed)
Step one: remove the two bolts up at the steering head.
Step two: remove the long bolt and insert from the piviot under the seat (some may wish to do this later if you have help as someone can piviot the tank up while you disconnect the stuff underneath. I found I did not have enough clearance to do this on my own so I undid the pivot)
Step three: lift tank and use something to support it "up" so you can get under it. Use rolled towels etc. Be careful not to lift tank from the pivot with out protecting the front from hitting the steering head nut
You will need to remove 5 things from under the tank: Two black vent tubes that just slide off, two plugs (brown and white) and the fuel line:

The fuel line is actuall not hard to get off. There are two white tabs. You press these in with your fingers and pull gently toward you. See the pics of the fuel line connection:

The electrical plugs come off easily once you have the fuel line off and can lift the tank a bit higher, as do the vent tubes.
The white plastic pipe that the fuel line connects too seems fragile so be careful not to bend it or put the tank down on it once you have the tank off.

When putting the tank back on:
Connnect electrical plugs...they appear to each fit on there specific spots so you cannot mix them up. :

When slipping the fuel line back on, it makes a "CLICK" sound once ingaged. Make sure you pull back on it gently to ensure it is on correctly. It should not pull off :lol:

Just some notes:
I had to "prop up" both the front and back of the tank to get my hands under in order to diconnect everything.
Be very attentative of the tank while you are under it as it make become unbalance and fall!!! (almost happened to me :shock: :shock: )
Well hope this helps...oh and I think my tank was 3/4 full...obviouslly the less fuel the light it will be and easier to lift/prop etc...
Have fun

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-07, 14:57   #2
PSUdaemon

Send a message via AIM to PSUdaemon

How did you go about removing the pivot? I have seen lots of explanations and all say "remove pivot pin" but don't say how. Even the shop manual says that. Maybe mine is in tighter than everyone else? I have to use the pivot bolt and put it in from the other side (right side) and lifted the pivot enough so it hit the side of the pin as I screwed it in. Doesn't seem ideal though.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-11-07, 15:49   #3
brancart1
Race Team Sponsor & Beer Pongaholic

Send a message via Skype™ to brancart1

to remove pivot pin,

screw driver and hammer! Thats what I did, and it came out easy. could also spray alittle WD-40 in there to loosen it up if needed...

Old 10-11-07, 22:10   #4
Sprinter
Race Team Sponsor

Nice. Thanks :)

Old 10-12-07, 11:06   #5
overtwo

Well I'll give this credit to Shane cause he showed me a very easy way to remove it. When you remove the bolt from the pivot just stick the threaded end of the bolt about 1/4" back into the pivot pin, then press down on the bolt and pull out. What this does is has the threaded end of the bolt "grip" the end of the pivot pin and then comes out nice and easy.

Old 10-12-07, 22:27   #6
nathan

good write up man! :) Thanks for that, it's the big unknown part of the bike that I've yet to tackle (have no reason so don't really wanna **** something up by mistake.. )

Old 10-13-07, 00:16   #7
onewheelslaute

Send a message via AIM to onewheelslaute

very helpfull, just did it. quite easy to do with my limited mechanical xp. biggest thing was i scratched the tank a little while undoing the two front bolts. :oops:

Old 11-01-07, 16:25   #8
nb_mitch
Junior Race Sponsor & mid sized cone head

Send a message via AIM to nb_mitch Send a message via Yahoo to nb_mitch
Default Re: How to: Gas tank removal

You have 5 things circled in the picture, but you say "two plugs (brown and white)", where is the "white plug" :?: :?

Nice write up, do you think it will be the same for the Street675 :?: They are the same tank as far as I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj
You will need to remove 5 things from under the tank: Two black vent tubes that just slide off, two plugs (brown and white) and the fuel line:

Old 11-01-07, 21:25   #9
Will

You forgot one step. Cuss a lot when you can't get the fuel fitting to cooperate. Cuss more when you yank ever so gently on it because now you are really getting irritated because it won't budge no matter what you do, and the tank slips off the blocking and impales its back edge on the frame where it attaches. Cuss some more, just because good things always go in threes. Then the stinkin' thing finally comes apart and you have to go through the whole process again to put the tank back on.

I don't know if my fuel fitting is more difficult than most or if I am just an idiot, but it gives me fits every time I have to deal with it.

Old 12-28-07, 15:03   #10
KevinDanger

Send a message via AIM to KevinDanger

can some one tell me when u put everything back where do the 2 vent tubes go? when i removed my tank i didnt really notice where they were from because they just slipped off

Sponsored Links
Advertisement