Does screen resolution really matter? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Off Topic > The Pit

The Pit Non work-safe, politics, religion. Read at your own risk

Old 01-20-13, 05:32   #1
vastoholic

Default Does screen resolution really matter?

I'm running a little experiment. I post over on macrumors.com forums frequently under the same name. There's a large debate going on saying that since the iPhone 5's retina screen isn't true HD (not 720p) that it's resolution is far inferior to other phone's screen quality that run at native 720p or even higher resolutions. So I decided to try a real world application test. The following are screen grabs from a youtube video that is running at 720p. I captured them from my laptop running full screen at 1366 x 768, my iPhone 5 running at 1136 x 640, and an HTC One X running at native 1280 x 720.

What I really want to know is, can you see a fundamental difference in image quality that would make you believe that one resolution is completely shit compared to the others? At zoomed in levels, I can tell a difference in the laptop screen grab compared to the other two, but I honestly cannot see a difference in the quality compared to the other two. The main argument from me and several others is that, on a 4" screen or even a 5" screen, you will not be able to perceive the difference in image quality of an HD movie (I have not tried a 1080p movie but since neither phone ran native 1080p, I didn't see the point). Others claim that they can see huge differences in quality on these screens and they complain of artifacts being present on the iPhone's screen due to downscaling of the HD content. So if you guy's wouldn't mind playing along with me for a bit and give me your feedback, I'd appreciate it (pics relevant, lol).

Laptop screen capture

iPhone 5 screen capture

HTC One X screen capture

link to whole thread.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1442642

You should really read some of bonskovsky's post. He's got some real gems (i.e. He want native 4K resolution on his mobile phone and was disappointed that his eye sight camera didn't have eye's in it). I started posing this question at post #128 for those who want to skip ahead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-13, 06:13   #2
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

People claim some stupid shit when it comes to resolution, and most the stuff that comes with images on screens or audio.

One of my favorites are when it comes to FPS (frames per second), but in the end it really does not make a damn difference. A phone screen is just that, I have never understood why people get so butt hurt over whose phone is better, blah blah bullshit.

I personally dislike Apple products not because they are any worse or better, but because their business tactics are just plain horrible and are aimed at the technology stupid people, which is the majority of population, as you can see by visiting sites like MacRumors or the likes even on the Android side, or just most technology sites that get filled with uneducated people trying to spread what they "know" about these things.

Screen resolution only matters when it comes to the size of the screen. You will not see a big difference on a screen that size trying to squeeze 720p into it. The same thing goes for 1080p, all these companies are making the screen smaller, yet making the resolution higher, which when comparing them side by side I can guarantee you will not see a big difference, yet people will claim they do just because they think they have some special eye or like to smell their farts. Also I wish Apple would stop calling all their screens retina display such a stupid name to sound fancy. It is a god damn Sharp display or I believe there are two other vendors also making them last I heard.

Old 01-20-13, 06:25   #3
vastoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
People claim some stupid shit when it comes to resolution, and most the stuff that comes with images on screens or audio.

One of my favorites are when it comes to FPS (frames per second), but in the end it really does not make a damn difference. A phone screen is just that, I have never understood why people get so butt hurt over whose phone is better, blah blah bullshit.

I personally dislike Apple products not because they are any worse or better, but because their business tactics are just plain horrible and are aimed at the technology stupid people, which is the majority of population, as you can see by visiting sites like MacRumors or the likes even on the Android side, or just most technology sites that get filled with uneducated people trying to spread what they "know" about these things.

Screen resolution only matters when it comes to the size of the screen. You will not see a big difference on a screen that size trying to squeeze 720p into it. The same thing goes for 1080p, all these companies are making the screen smaller, yet making the resolution higher, which when comparing them side by side I can guarantee you will not see a big difference, yet people will claim they do just because they think they have some special eye or like to smell their farts. Also I wish Apple would stop calling all their screens retina display such a stupid name to sound fancy. It is a god damn Sharp display or I believe there are two other vendors also making them last I heard.
Actually I think Samsung might make the display as well.

I hate watching movies on such a tiny screen. I watch youtube video's and animated GIF's on my phone. That's it. I didn't buy a phone to watch full length HD movies on. That's why I bought a full size TV, you know.....to see shit on and actually get use out of HD content.

Retina is a marketing ploy like everything else. It's their way of playing the spec race without appearing to play the spec race.

I buy their products because it works for me and I happen to enjoy them. It probably has a little bit to do with me working physical security for them when I lived in California. God I miss that job. That campus was the tits.

Old 01-20-13, 06:40   #4
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Samsung may still be making some, but Sharp was brought on to help catch back up in supply.

And you are like most people, you want a simple product, they make a simple product, I like Android personally because I like open source stuff, I am a Linux guy and a huge computer nerd. That is just me.

But yes I really do not get why people go crazy over cell phones. I love technology and my somewhat vast knowledge of the shit is what pays for my expensive hobbies, but cell phones to me are a waste of my time, maybe it is because mine constantly rings and alarms, but some people put their phones before their own safety and others, that is when you know society is going in a great direction.

There have even been studies and some people now claim they could not live (like literally live) without their cell phones. Sad ****ing people. I have my phone setup now to go off GPS so when I enter my house it literally shuts everything off and I typically just go put my phone on my office desk.

But to answer your question, yes and no resolution matters. When does it matter? When it comes to the size of your screen. The bigger it is the more you notice things. Which is probably true for most things. Like I notice girls with nice asses first then I notice girls with no ass. Or I guess an HD ass over a non HD ass.

Old 01-20-13, 11:47   #5
vastoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
But to answer your question, yes and no resolution matters. When does it matter? When it comes to the size of your screen. The bigger it is the more you notice things. Which is probably true for most things. Like I notice girls with nice asses first then I notice girls with no ass. Or I guess an HD ass over a non HD ass.
I guess I should reword it, does resolution really matter on a mobile device under 5"? Would having a 1080p screen on a 4"-5" device really make it any clearer to see than a 720p screen? Is pixel density more important? And is the Droid DNA's 440-ish (some ungodly high number) pixel density even that much more noticeable when viewing HD content?

Old 01-20-13, 14:44   #6
ckai

resolution is only part of the experience. Shit, you could have the highest resolution in the world on a screen and the colours could be crap so it looks crap.

Comparing the 3 images, the laptop is maybe slightly sharper but that's only comparing any text. I wouldn't have thought screen captures would give the true effect of the screen but would give the true effect of the resolution.

I don't think it matters that much on a small screen. It gets to the point were your just splitting hairs. Like I said though, add in some nice colours and processing and a slightly lower resolution screen will appear better than a higher resolution.

Old 01-20-13, 18:13   #7
Smoke

The further away you watch from, the less it matters, but I happen to love having my visual field filled :p

On a side note, smart alarm clocks are great, that's what I like most about my smartphone, after enabling me to work from basically anywhere, which is teh main reason I bought one. Had no mobile until last year, when a new operator offered decent rates at long last.

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 01-21-13, 00:42   #8
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I guess I should reword it, does resolution really matter on a mobile device under 5"? Would having a 1080p screen on a 4"-5" device really make it any clearer to see than a 720p screen? Is pixel density more important? And is the Droid DNA's 440-ish (some ungodly high number) pixel density even that much more noticeable when viewing HD content?
Short answer no, but honestly for a clear good looking image takes more than just resolution. Also actual HD rating is only for TVs there is no actual set standard for phone screens to my knowledge as of yet and I highly doubt there will be one for a while. Apple is really bad at making their privatized standards, much like the plug on their phone, which is where my biggest dislike comes from for them, I am a firm believer in open source, but that is another subject.

Old 01-21-13, 04:11   #9
MadMel

Default Re: Does screen resolution really matter?

Tablets are so cheap now, you're much better off with one if you'd like something to watch movies on or for surfing the web. I love mine when travelling, because I don't get stuck with whatever the plane is showing (if it is, at all). My tech MO is now to have a nice tablet and a beater phone, such as my 3 year old HTC. Does everything I need from a phone, such as surfing this forum or timing laps on my bike. Helps that it's running Android 4.0, so I can run current apps... not like Apple, where if you want the new OS, you have to buy the new phone. Such a bullshit way to treat customers.

Old 01-21-13, 06:28   #10
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

I agree, while my tablet is just the Kindle Fire since I read a lot it still is nice to watch movies on or surf the web if I need to.

Also Apple will slowly fall to the bottom, Nokia is starting to make great products again and like I said before privatization in technology always leads to failure, open source is where the future of technology and money making is at.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement