Passenger pegs - protection or not? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 03:12 Thread Starter
FongP
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Passenger pegs - protection or not?

Do the passenger pegs provide any protection for the bike, realistically? It looks so much cleaner without the pegs, and the weight savings is significant. Is removing them wise?
FongP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 04:22
Sp00ky
Senior Member
 
Sp00ky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney...Australia
Posts: 868
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
They do protect the bike somewhat in the event of a fall-over or spill but you need to couple them with a good set of frame sliders like the GB Racing set.


S.

"Just because you're breathing, doesn't mean you're alive"
Sp00ky is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 06:06
B Mo
Member
 
B Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a tip over I can see them helping. However, if it were to go down while riding, theres the chance of the pegs creating leverage to bend the subframe or they could catch an imperfection in the ground and flip the bike. Its like talking about frame sliders, they are great if the bike slides on the ground and does not grab anything. If they catch something, it could cause the bike to flip or do more damage. It all depends on the crash and the environment the bike slides on. I agree, bikes look much better without them. Plus if you don't have them on, there is no chance for someone to be on the bike and slow you down lol.
B Mo is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 06:32
Tronix
Senior Member
 
Tronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,961
Thanks: 4
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Take them off. I dont think it will provide that much protection just the way they are made. They are not solid pieces, just take a look at the back of them. Thin in some areas.

Bike: 2012 Triumph Street Triple R - My youtube channel with my videos


Car: 2012 MazdaSpeed3 JBR TIP SRI | Damond OCC | COBB AP | Stage 1 S-OTS 93
Tronix is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 08:59
someday
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lafayette, NJ
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my 2013 comes in they'll be the first thing to go...no wait, the reflectors front and rear!
someday is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 09:20
Neanderthal
Senior Member
 
Neanderthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 7,027
Thanks: 111
Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Mo View Post
In a tip over I can see them helping. However, if it were to go down while riding, theres the chance of the pegs creating leverage to bend the subframe or they could catch an imperfection in the ground and flip the bike. Its like talking about frame sliders, they are great if the bike slides on the ground and does not grab anything. If they catch something, it could cause the bike to flip or do more damage. It all depends on the crash and the environment the bike slides on. I agree, bikes look much better without them. Plus if you don't have them on, there is no chance for someone to be on the bike and slow you down lol.
I would agree with most of this - I've tested it, lol. They saved me some damage in a 50-mph low-side. One other thing that was left out, those rear brackets make good tie-down points.
Neanderthal is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 09:22
Neanderthal
Senior Member
 
Neanderthal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 7,027
Thanks: 111
Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
Take them off. I dont think it will provide that much protection just the way they are made. They are not solid pieces, just take a look at the back of them. Thin in some areas.
They are a lot stronger than you would think. Sure, they could be even more solid, but then they'd weigh a lot more too.
Neanderthal is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 09:47
noclue90
Senior Member
 
noclue90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,423
Thanks: 2
Thanked 46 Times in 33 Posts
They're heavy and solid. Ask my ankle how heavy the are when I dropped one on it. Been sore for 3 days.

2009 Triumph Street Triple- White Lightning
2007 Triumph Daytona- Golden Thunder
noclue90 is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 12:37
cjc
Member
 
cjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 430
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Garage
I had a cold tire lowside on the track - slowest corner and less than 50mph. Almost no damage to the bike because it slid on the frame sliders, bar end and passenger peg. I've thought about making a slider to attach to the passenger peg hanger (in place of the passenger peg). FWIW.
cjc is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 01-16-13, 12:56
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,297
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc View Post
I had a cold tire lowside on the track - slowest corner and less than 50mph. Almost no damage to the bike because it slid on the frame sliders, bar end and passenger peg. I've thought about making a slider to attach to the passenger peg hanger (in place of the passenger peg). FWIW.
I did just that. It bent the sub in 90+ low-side at Thunderhill. You can see them in this photo. The funny thing about this, it was taken one lap, and two turns before I went down that day.



As for the passenger pegs: I have seen quite a few D675s go down hard on the track. Almost every time (if they left them on) the passenger pegs are snapped off at the sub frame. The peg assembly is not broken, the tab that is welded to the sub frame is what snaps.

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
shouldnthave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome