180 vs 190 Rear tire size? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Tire Tech

Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

Old 01-07-13, 21:35   #1
speedfreak

Default 180 vs 190 Rear tire size?

I know the d675 came stock with the pirellis 180s for the rear tire, all of my friends run gixxers and they have changed their rear tires from a 180 to a 190 and they said it works better for them. I was wondering if any of you guys have done this to a daytona because I know the symmetry is different so the it could have a different effect. Did you guys like it? pros vs cons? would you recommend getting a 190? this will be a track only bike. I tried to do a search on this forum but I couldn't find anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-13, 21:40   #2
carnage.inc

It generally gives you a little more edge to lean on but it also changes the profile of the tire. I suppose its more personal preferance. I've been running a 180 rear but will try running a 190 rear this year.

Old 01-07-13, 21:48   #3
speedfreak

thats what im trying to decide if I should stick with the 180 or go to 190, mainly because im trying to get a set of tire warmers and I would like to know what size to get

Old 01-07-13, 22:40   #4
allaussiegrown

Can't you use a 190 tire warmer on a 180?

'11 675R
Werkes Slip On Pipe + STD Fender Elim + Intergrated Tailight - ZG Double Bubble DS - Dual HID Headlights and Angel Eyes with Coloured Headlight Housing - Red Seat Cowl - LED Strip Indicators - 1050 Throttle Tube -
Attack Reasrsets (Red Pegs) - Powdercoated wheels and Sidestand - GB protection Kit - CRG Levers folding - Saddlemen CF Track Seat - Watsens

Old 01-07-13, 22:56   #5
speedfreak

Im not sure.... I guess it depends on the manufacturer. this is the chart for DMP tire warmers
  • Kit A: Front 110/120 Rear 170/180
  • Kit B: Front 110/120 Rear 190/195

Old 01-08-13, 00:25   #6
BMAF

I run Dunlop gp-a's. They only come in a 190 rear. I like it. I didn't notice any loss in lower from the extra weight.
I think it all depends on the tires your getting. If its a track bike. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't switch back. Sell them on the forum. If you read on dunlops website they recommend their 190 for the size rim we have. Idk about other manufacturers but that most important. Are you cramming a 190 meant for a 6inch rim like a busa... (messes up the profile) Or is it made to fit your 5.5.

and most tire warmers do up to a 190. My moto-d warmers fit great with room for more.

BMAFRacing GP Brake Res kits - CLICK HERE

Old 01-08-13, 01:25   #7
WiK1d

What BMAF said is important. The Dunlops are designed for a 5.5", the others aren't. I hated the 190's (Pirelli and Metzeler) on my bike. The Dunlops were much better due to the extreme profile, but still not as responsive as the 180's.

www.bertusras.com | @bertusras
'07 Derbi GPR125 2T | '07 Triumph Daytona

Old 01-08-13, 04:20   #8
BMAF

agree 100%. To build further on that point, our bikes are very reactive. This sort of combats it added some stability. Now change the front end geometry and you have got yourself one hell of a bike.

a motorcycle is nothing but a variable. Nothing is constant. Everything gives and take. Add a 190: its raises the rear thus taking a tiny bit of rake and trail away. Combat that by adjusting the front end. I'm not saying you'll have to do that. I'm just making a point.

I would check with the manufacturers recommended rim size for the particular tire you want. If its larger than 5.5 IMHO its not worth it. You'll lose too much. It adds weight, distorts the profile and costs more. All no no's for a track bike.

However, I do love my gpa's and they love my bike. I rode Bridgestones for a while. The bike hated them. Made suspension felt wooden. I lowered the pressures below recommended values just to get some feeling. Which happen to make the tires act funny mid corner. I got a set of the dunlops cheap. It was like day and night.

plus that big ass tire looks badass.

BMAFRacing GP Brake Res kits - CLICK HERE

Old 01-08-13, 04:39   #9
allaussiegrown

With the warmers just get the bigger ones, you can always use a step down with them. Who knows later on if you decided to get a bike with a 190 or more.

'11 675R
Werkes Slip On Pipe + STD Fender Elim + Intergrated Tailight - ZG Double Bubble DS - Dual HID Headlights and Angel Eyes with Coloured Headlight Housing - Red Seat Cowl - LED Strip Indicators - 1050 Throttle Tube -
Attack Reasrsets (Red Pegs) - Powdercoated wheels and Sidestand - GB protection Kit - CRG Levers folding - Saddlemen CF Track Seat - Watsens

Old 01-09-13, 06:40   #10
sitstill

Ive run a 190 on my street for a while as I was after slightly better tip in, have found tires can differ as well from oval shape to more round . the 190 super corsa I felt an instant change in how the bike handle mainly cause it was a taller tire it just tipped in so nice, im now running dunlop sport smarts which dont have the same tall profile so the initial tip in isnt as much as before.

and as a little side note the bike does look a lot cooler with a bigger tire back when you look at other 675's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement