GoPro Suction mount problem on 'flat' paint? - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 32 Old 01-05-13, 21:55 Thread Starter
OKStriple

Garage
GoPro Suction mount problem on 'flat' paint?

For those with the Matte Graphite or Matte Orange AND the GoPro suction cup mount, do you have any problems getting it to stick?

My suction cup doesn't suck, and that sucks. It's very difficult to get a good adhesion and it fell of 3 times while parked in the garage. Eventually I got it to hold better but at the end of a 10 minute ride, it fell again.

Neanderthal suggested testing the suction cup by applying it to something else so I attached it to my craftsman tool chest in the garage at a horizontal angle. 4 days later it's still there. Then I put it back on the flat spot on the front of the tank and again, it wasn't fully secure and after about 15 minutes, I decided to pull it off before it fell on its own.

Is anyone else with matte paint having this issue or any tips on how I can make it stick better?

2009 Matte Graphite Street Triple R. Arrow Slip on's, TecSpecs, GB Racing Protection bundle, CRG Lane Split Mirrors, on Michelin Pilot Road III

7643 posts behind MacBandit and getting further behind each day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-05-13, 22:11
Neanderthal

Garage
The matte coating must be too rough to get a good seal. Hopefully someone with a matte bike and the GoPro will chime in and confirm.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-05-13, 22:16 Thread Starter
OKStriple
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
The matte coating must be too rough to get a good seal. Hopefully someone with a matte bike and the GoPro will chime in and confirm.
I finally realized that the 'Street Triple' sticker on top of the tank was part of the problem and if I mount it in front of that, it works better, but while it starts out with a good grip, it gradually gets more loose.
I caught it falling on video just after 5:43 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbMAEbh3KUM

(yes I know youtube doesnt support 60 fps- just playing with the settings)

2009 Matte Graphite Street Triple R. Arrow Slip on's, TecSpecs, GB Racing Protection bundle, CRG Lane Split Mirrors, on Michelin Pilot Road III

7643 posts behind MacBandit and getting further behind each day
post #4 of 32 Old 01-06-13, 00:32
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

What about handle bar mount?

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #5 of 32 Old 01-06-13, 00:45
MacBandit

Garage
Yep not going to work on a rough matte finish. Get a bolt on mount. I wouldn't personally ever trust a suction cup mount for this. I've had a dozen suction cup mounts in my truck for GPS and what not and they all invariably fall off at some point.
post #6 of 32 Old 01-06-13, 02:36
MadMel

Earlier this week I made a simple but rock-solid GoPro mount, which is fixed to the hole in the steering head. I used a 2" long 1/4" bolt, pushed through some rubber feet that I shaved down to just fit inside the hole in the steering head. Put on a nut and washer, tighten to squeeze the rubber, and it won't come out. Then mount a GoPro tripod adapter (cheap on eBay) to the exposed bolt, using another nut to lock it with the camera facing at the right angle. Sorry, I'd post pictures, but I'm at the g/f's right now.

I'm with MacBandit regarding suction mounts. I won't even use the adhesive mounts on my track bike, I don't want to be responsible for leaving a camera mid-corner that someone else crashes on.
post #7 of 32 Old 01-06-13, 02:41
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Yes but Mel everything is opposite for us up here compared to you.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #8 of 32 Old 01-06-13, 03:50
bmw4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
I'm with MacBandit regarding suction mounts. I won't even use the adhesive mounts on my track bike, I don't want to be responsible for leaving a camera mid-corner that someone else crashes on.
Agree. They mentioned last year at one of the track days that they were really close to requiring cameras to be safety wired as well. I did mine up because I didn't want to be that guy either.

I like your idea about putting a mount into the yoke nut. Now being cheap (ill call it thrifty), I wonder if one of those drain plugs that is plastic and rubber you get at Home Depot would work in there. They come in a variety of sizes.

Brian
2011 daytona 675 SE (sold)
post #9 of 32 Old 01-06-13, 05:31
MadMel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4422 View Post
Agree. They mentioned last year at one of the track days that they were really close to requiring cameras to be safety wired as well. I did mine up because I didn't want to be that guy either.

I like your idea about putting a mount into the yoke nut. Now being cheap (ill call it thrifty), I wonder if one of those drain plugs that is plastic and rubber you get at Home Depot would work in there. They come in a variety of sizes.
Locally, the track day provider for two tracks doesn't even allow cameras any more because they've come off too often. The provider at the third track still does.

It's not really my idea... Ram Mounts (the company that makes mounting systems for phones and GPSes and whatnot) make a system that mounts that way. What I did was wander around Bunnings (our Home Depot) with a tape measure looking for something that will work. If I remember correctly, the inside diameter is 14 or 15mm. As long as it will grip onto the interior wall of the headstock and will squish out when compressed, it'll work. I even considered just casting one of my own by squirting silicone sealant down there around the bolt.
post #10 of 32 Old 01-06-13, 05:45
jtirwin27

I like to mount it on my front forks just below the headlight. The low shot is pretty cool

12 phantom blk ST3R
Comp werks can, triumph tune, 8000k HIDs, all plastics converted to carbon fiber, motozen levers.

TOTALED 09/31/14 at the Dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement