Just In Need Of Some Input - Triumph675.Net Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 16:59 Thread Starter
Renzr
Member
 
Renzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just In Need Of Some Input

I changed the R/R about 4 months back because it didnt crank and that fixed the problem.
About 2 months ago, a new problem, this time it cranked but wouldnt turn so I ordered a new stator. Upon trying to change the stator, I opened up the wrong side and had to order a new clutch gasket. So finally, I installed the new clutch gasket, installed a new stator, even soldered the wires to the stator as what the manufacturer recommended and still it would crank but no turn. Checked the CPS resistance, its good. Checked battery voltage, good. So now Im thinking spark plugs?

You 2 cents are appreciated.
Renzr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 17:21
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,307
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Oh man... The bike does not need a stator to run as long as it has a strong battery. It won't run long, but it doesn't need it. Sorry you just tossed a fist full of money down the drain.

Now on to your problem. You only need four things to make a motor run"
Fuel, air, ignition, and compression.

Fuel:
do you have gas in the tank? is the pump priming when you turn the key on?

Air:
is your filter clean? this is a minor issue, because it would have to be wrecked to not start. It will run poorly, but should normally start. Check it anyway.

Ignition:
Do you have a spark on all three cylinders?

"Yes I do!" Are the plugs good?

"No I don't". Figure out why. Check the connections, check the fall switch, check TuneECU for error codes. Is your kick stand safety switch working? Is the clutch safety switch working?

It's normally something very simple.

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
shouldnthave is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 17:27 Thread Starter
Renzr
Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Renzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
Oh man... The bike does not need a stator to run as long as it has a strong battery. It won't run long, but it doesn't need it. Sorry you just tossed a fist full of money down the drain.

Now on to your problem. You only need four things to make a motor run"
Fuel, air, ignition, and compression.

Fuel:
do you have gas in the tank? is the pump priming when you turn the key on?

Air:
is your filter clean? this is a minor issue, because it would have to be wrecked to not start. It will run poorly, but should normally start. Check it anyway.

Ignition:
Do you have a spark on all three cylinders?

"Yes I do!" Are the plugs good?

"No I don't". Figure out why. Check the connections, check the fall switch, check TuneECU for error codes. Is your kick stand safety switch working? Is the clutch safety switch working?

It's normally something very simple.
Thanks very much for your reply. I figured probably wasted money by getting the stator once it didnt start after installation. I'll check those other things you mentioned and see if I can narrow it down some more.

The fuel pump does make that noise when I turn the key so Im guessing its not that. Gas is in tank also.
Up next sill be the spark plugs. How do you reckon I check spark?

Thanks again.
Renzr is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 17:39
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,307
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
You have a few ways to test for spark. The fastest way, but not the safest, nor most accurate: Pull the plug out pop it back into the plug receptacle (the boot you pulled off to get to the plug). Hold the plug end about 2mm off the top of the head bolt. With the bike in neutral, and the clutch leaver held in (use tape, zip tie, or a friend) crank the motor. If you see a spark jump to the motor, it is working.

You can also buy inexpensive testers at Harbor Freight, or most any auto store. Follow the instructions.

Good luck.

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
shouldnthave is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 17:45 Thread Starter
Renzr
Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Renzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
You have a few ways to test for spark. The fastest way, but not the safest, nor most accurate: Pull the plug out pop it back into the plug receptacle (the boot you pulled off to get to the plug). Hold the plug end about 2mm off the top of the head bolt. With the bike in neutral, and the clutch leaver held in (use tape, zip tie, or a friend) crank the motor. If you see a spark jump to the motor, it is working.

You can also buy inexpensive testers at Harbor Freight, or most any auto store. Follow the instructions.

Good luck.
Cool stuff, will try out and report back.

Thanks again.
Renzr is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 18:24
MadMel
Senior Member
 
MadMel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 83
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Since you'll be yanking plugs anyway, try to start it before pulling them, then check to see if they are wet. If they're dry, it indicates that no fuel is going into the cylinders.
MadMel is online now  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 19:51 Thread Starter
Renzr
Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Renzr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
Since you'll be yanking plugs anyway, try to start it before pulling them, then check to see if they are wet. If they're dry, it indicates that no fuel is going into the cylinders.
Ok will do. Hopefully by Monday ill get to do everything. I'm thinking just go ahead and buy spark plugs and replace them to rule that out.
Renzr is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 19:54
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,307
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Good call madmel. I would disassemble everything first though. By the time you got everything off it could dry out otherwise. Leave the plugs, but reconnect the tank with the air box off.

Of course, cranking for 20 seconds with your nose in the tail would inform of gas delivery too, but could not tell you if only one injector is malfunctioning.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
shouldnthave is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 19:57
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,307
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzr View Post
Ok will do. Hopefully by Monday ill get to do everything. I'm thinking just go ahead and buy spark plugs and replace them to rule that out.
I would just because you are getting into it, but remember to check for spark on each one.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
shouldnthave is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-28-12, 20:18
dabird
Senior Member
 
dabird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: columbia, ms.
Posts: 810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to dabird
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
You have a few ways to test for spark. The fastest way, but not the safest, nor most accurate: Pull the plug out pop it back into the plug receptacle (the boot you pulled off to get to the plug). Hold the plug end about 2mm off the top of the head bolt. With the bike in neutral, and the clutch leaver held in (use tape, zip tie, or a friend) crank the motor. If you see a spark jump to the motor, it is working.

You can also buy inexpensive testers at Harbor Freight, or most any auto store. Follow the instructions.

Good luck.
WARNING: buy the inexpensive tester. A friend of mine checked a plug by removing it from engine, and grounding to the head. When he turned the engine over compression forced gas out of the sparkplug hole onto him. The plug proved to be good, because it sparked, igniting the gas coming out of the sparkplug hole and setting my friend on fire. He was burnt pretty bad before we could get the fire extinguished. Freak accident but still. If you use this method, stand well to the side while checking to see the spark.
dabird is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome